Not confirmed yet. We're still at the "very likely" stage.

Honestly, I would be surprised if PoE 2 wasn't made.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It was recently confirmed. Pillars of Eternity 2: Shadows of Old Vailia.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Not confirmed yet. We're still at the "very likely" stage.

Honestly, I would be surprised if PoE 2 wasn't made.

This.  The whole goal from day one was to establish a new IP they could make multiple games with.  I can't imagine any reason they would not want to go ahead and make Eternity 2.  Depending on what active projects they have it might not be "soon" but I am sure it will be "sooner or later".

• Like 3

Has it been confirmed that they will be making PoE 2?

I think this game is amazing, honestly have been loving it so much. I think PoE 2 will be even better, so I am truly hoping it has been confirmed that they will be making it.

That is all.

Gief plx. Me wants.

I believe PoE 2 is very likely to be made. The game sold well (Feargus said the sales are dreamy - or something like that) especially for an old-school, hardcore, somewhat low-budget, pc-only rpg. The team gave me the idea of being serious people so I storngly believe thay'll take in account all the feedback and deliver a far superior sequel (I believe PoE 2 will be what BG 2 was compared to BG 1). I hope I won't be dissapointed.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

It worries me that there are lots of people expecting a PoE2 as worthy as BG2, when comparing to the respective prequels. I mean, it's not a bad thing to expect, but it might offer the same kind of limitation/pressure that some kickstarter campaign promises did, i.e. the stronghold.

Now that the engine and most of the rules are settled (although they will probably upgrade to the new Unity, and that may offer the same obstacles all over again), it is very likely that PoE 2 will be better. However, I'm concerned that the devs might surrender to this kind of pressure:

"BG2 had more weird and out-of-the-ordinary locations, so we will have to do that in PoE2"; "In BG2, the player could reach near god-like levels, so we are doing that in PoE2"; "BG2 had a charismatic villain, so we have to top that", and so on.

I would be happier if the devs left all those expectations out of the table, took only PoE1 as reference, and began to think of an amazing story to tell us. 

Edited by LuccA
  • Like 8

^

What he said.

Ideally, they would do to P:E what Chris Avellone did to the IE games when he made Planescape: Torment. I.e., take the mechanics and engine and do something really new and really cool in it and with it.

This is the one thing that's been bugging me about the whole "old-skool" revival: everybody's still very caught up in the spiritual ancestors, so that they don't dare to do new stuff with them.

I really like to play top-down isometric party-based cRPG's. There's no reason the game content has to be dwarves and elves and swords and sorcery and evil antagonists and deep dungeons and ancient dragons. Not that there's anything wrong with those, mind, but we've seen plenty.

So how about something new people? These are relatively low-budget games, there should be scope for a little risk-taking. Who knows, it might even pay off!

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I'm about as diehard of an IE fan as it can get and I really don't want Obsidian to try and do BG2. There are so many things in Pillars 1 that are trying to be BG1, BG2 or PS:T and failing at it or are just there because one of those games did it.

I'd rather Pillars 2 content-wise just be a natural evolution of what they come up with rather than trying to badly emulate things that were done in the Infinity Engine games. Obviously they put that pressure on themselves with their Kickstarter campaign, but now they don't have to and I think they'd be much better off not doing it.

I'm not even sure if I'd buy what they come up with but I think they'd be much better just making a game that naturally suits the story that Eric & Carrie come up with rather than going "BG2 had this, so we must have it too".

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 13

I'm about as diehard of an IE fan as it can get and I really don't want Obsidian to try and do BG2. There are so many things in Pillars 1 that are trying to be BG1, BG2 or PS:T and failing at it or are just there because one of those games did it.

I'd rather Pillars 2 content-wise just be a natural evolution of what they come up with rather than trying to badly emulate things that were done in the Infinity Engine games. Obviously they put that pressure on themselves with their Kickstarter campaign, but now they don't have to and I think they'd be much better off not doing it.

I'm not even sure if I'd buy what they come up with but I think they'd be much better just making a game that naturally suits the story that Eric & Carrie come up with rather than going "BG2 had this, so we must have it too".

Well stated Sen Sen.  I agree.  Expect for the bit at the end as I will definitely buy it.  I don't have a problem with Eternity 2 trying to capture the "scope" of BG2 in the sense of world size, importance of story, number of locations, etc.  It doesn't have to have a similar villain, have anything to do with gods (though considering part 1), nor does it require "alien locations".  They need to find their own story and I think there are plenty of good stories to tell in Eternity.

Ideally I hope that part 2 doesn't even quite make it to "super high level" just high level, and then there is room for a part 3.

• Like 5

I think PoE 2 will be even better

In other news, Obsidian has a new CEO, man named Bobby Kotick.

He has promised to get entirely new offices for Obsidian, including spiked chairs and torture devices, to remove all fun from game development. He'll use this newly found seriousness to develop Pillars of Eternity 2: Gears of Pillars of War. It'll be a third person shooter set in post-war Eora where everything got brown and machine guns were developed. Magic will be present in the form of magic shotguns. Armor class of female characters will naturally increase with their decreasing armor coverage.

• Like 1

I think PoE 2 will be even better

In other news, Obsidian has a new CEO, man named Bobby Kotick.

He has promised to get entirely new offices for Obsidian, including spiked chairs and torture devices, to remove all fun from game development. He'll use this newly found seriousness to develop Pillars of Eternity 2: Gears of Pillars of War. It'll be a third person shooter set in post-war Eora where everything got brown and machine guns were developed. Magic will be present in the form of magic shotguns. Armor class of female characters will naturally increase with their decreasing armor coverage.

With the state of the games industry now I wouldn't be surprised by this at all.  There was a time Bioware was my favorite developer and could do no wrong in my book. Now I don't bother with their games. Mass effect 2 was the last title I bought from them.

One thing we definitely know about PoE 2 is that you will not start at level 1.

I believe that will make it the first "high level campaign" RPG since Mask of the Betrayer. Yes, it's been a while.

Hmm how do we know it for sure? Is there a link to an interview or a tweet? The last thing I read about a possibility of PoE 2 was in a recent Fergus-Josh interview were Josh said "we'll try something like Baldur's 2; something familiar yet more exotic and unusual" or something like that. Didn't mention anything about continuing the watcher saga or whatever (although I'd like that! I want to port my character and continue the journey!).

I might be weird in this, but I'd prefer it if a potential PoE2 didn't allow us to import our character from PoE and didn't continue the story a la Baldur's Gate 2. It seems to me PoE had a pretty natural conclusion and I'd prefer to explore something completely new with a new character. Having some companions return might be okay however.

• Like 5

Wishes/Dreams/Suggestions from the past still lingers:

Would love if Eternity 2 had a new individual storyline and a continuation... (A choice)

Scenario 1: Watcher Character
A) Play/Start in Pillars of Eternity in Dyrwood
B) Load save and continue into Pillars of Eternity 2 in Valia(X)

Scenario 2: Other Character (A Natlan, Valian, or Ixamitl Prince, perhaps?)
A) Play/Start in Pillars of Eternity 2 in Valia(X)

Depends on how they expand into Pillars of Eternity 2 though... will they keep the Dyrwood areas? Or will it be more of a BG2 sequel, where you explore a whole new region (Amn) and can't backtrack up to the northern Sword Coast. Will it be a whole new character? (DA:O, DA2, DA:I) Or will it be a continuation of the same character? (BG, BG2)

Valia(X) is just an example (so is "Prince" as well)

General idea~ a sort of Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Half-Life sort of interaction (Or WarCraft, WarCraft II, WarCraft III). The whole story told from the perspective of several characters/races/campaigns, rather than just a story told from one angle.

Of course, that's probably a ton of work that'd take several sequels/expansions before even getting there...

Oh well. A boyish heart can dream  o:)

• Like 2