San Bernadino shooting

Drowsy Emperor

Its a little simplistic and perhaps unbecoming in tone from a university professor but he is quite correct. I don't understand where the rabid, knee-jerk hatred of Christianity, nationalism and any form of traditionalism is coming from but if you define those as your sole "enemies" then turning a blind eye to Islamic extremism (even though its exactly what you're supposedly fighting against - and significantly more extreme than your chosen foe in every regard) makes sense.

Europe is in a similar situation. Just look at Sweden, that's accepting a horde of refugees in spite of the fact that a large segment of the native population doesn't want them there - where the entire parliament united to limit the influence of a single dissenting party of the right. Islamic extremism is okay (even vs the swedish Jews for example, that are leaving the country "This new hatred comes from Muslim immigrants. The Jewish people are afraid now."), anti-immigration anti-multiculturalism attitudes aren't - deserving of public vilification, ridicule and punishment. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/05/europe/london-tube-stabbings/index.html

3 people stabbed, nobody died, in what police are treating as a terrorist incident in the London underground.

If only there had been a good guy with a gun to prevent this atrocity - this is why gun laws are bad.

Internet-troll-face-explorer.png

I don't agree with your sentiment, but the I approve of your trolling.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

3 people stabbed, nobody died, in what police are treating as a terrorist incident in the London underground.

If only there had been a good guy with a gun to prevent this atrocity - this is why gun laws are bad.

Guess he was too inept to source a gun, or learn how to use the knife.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guess he was too inept to source a gun, or learn how to use the knife.

Its extremely hard to get firearms in the UK,  Northern Ireland excluded, unless you know and are trusted by real criminals or syndicates

This guy wouldnt have had the associations with either of those groups so it would have been very difficult for him to get a firearm so the whole knife\panga form of attack makes sense 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yep, but there is always a way. Or he could have used a bomb - thinking on my time in the tube, during rush hour if you were to have a bomb vest you could kill a LOT of people at some stations. Impatient terrorists are a good thing, I suppose..

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yep, but there is always a way. Or he could have used a bomb - thinking on my time in the tube, during rush hour if you were to have a bomb vest you could kill a LOT of people at some stations. Impatient terrorists are a good thing, I suppose..

" impatient terrorists " :lol:

I know I shouldn't find it funny but something about the concept of an impatient terrorism does make me laugh

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Real nonsense there about gun laws. They didn't prevent the Paris attackers from being armed to the teeth did they? Proves you can get just about anything if you're dedicated enough (cue Breivik's solo operation).

But they did prevent anyone in the crowd from being able to react with anything more than harsh language. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Harsh language is evil and will likely get you in trouble. Afterall,  I've seen people equate people saying mean things to a Muslim on a bus makes terrorist attacks that kills innocents totally justified.

ie. The whole joke  like "If you claim Islam is violent and aggressive I am totlaly justified in killing you for your wrong opinion' that many Muslims and non Muslims seem to have.

But, it is a-ok to label all of Catholicism and Christinaty as troublesome and worthwhile of being banned for whatever reason. Because any Muslim that acts bad is fake but any Christian who acts wrong is real. L0LZ

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Harsh language is evil and will likely get you in trouble. Afterall,  I've seen people equate people saying mean things to a Muslim on a bus makes terrorist attacks that kills innocents totally justified.

ie. The whole joke  like "If you claim Islam is violent and aggressive I am totlaly justified in killing you for your wrong opinion' that many Muslims and non Muslims seem to have.

But, it is a-ok to label all of Catholicism and Christinaty as troublesome and worthwhile of being banned for whatever reason. Because any Muslim that acts bad is fake but any Christian who acts wrong is real. L0LZ

Who are these mythical creatures that say "say anything mean about Muslims and you deserve all the terrorism you get"?

I mean, there's one guy in HoonDing's picture, I suppose. 

And who are these mythical creatures that say Christianity is all bad and should be banned?

Is this also the mythical universe where all Mexicans rape our women and millions of Americans are secretly terrorist sympathisers who worship Bin Laden in their basement?

I mean, you're right, in this imaginary world where all of those things are true, I totally agree with you! 

• Like 1

I used to have a religious distrust of people who wouldn't share a beer with me, but then I came to understand it meant I get more beer that way.

Seriously, though, while I *do* think there is a Muslim problem in the world today, I don't think it's necessitated by its religious tenets. Islam, like every other religion practiced throughout history, is not a theology in practice. It more closely resembles politics on the macro level. Personally, people have religious convictions and they organize and interact according to these personal convictions in a way that becomes religion write large. This is true for a megalithic organization such as the Catholic Church down to hearth goddesses of ancient civilizations that were truly personal in a way that a lot of modern folks don't really understand. In all this time, there have been religions that called for varying amounts of violence or non-violence, and there have been folks in quite peaceful religions who exhibited remarkably violent attitudes as a culture and folks who have had religions tenets that not only allowed but even called for violence in certain circumstances who have been relatively peaceful compared to others. I'm loathe to name specifics just because someone always feels hurt or offended and, for the time being, I'll err on the side of not goading other folks. The upshot, however, isn't to castigate any of these organizations used in the examples anyway. It's to point out that the structure of Islam, although allowing for more violence, need not necessarily be violent in practice and there are many communities of peaceful Muslims. That's not a guestimate. That's simple observation. If 10% of the Muslim community in the United States were determined to kill and willing to die to do so, the country would literally look like a war zone. Hell, if .5% of us intlecshually challenged Chrishtuns were determined to kill heretics and willing to die to do it, we'd be screwed as a country. That's not to defend Islamic radicals. I think Islam has shown a propensity for radicalization in modern times that truly sets it ahead of other religions, although not entirely apart from some. ...But we can't solve the problem if we don't understand the causes. I'm not talking about social welfare programs or other pie in the sky foolish utopian nonsense. I'm talking about really getting to understand what options we have to fight terrorism that doesn't amount to engaging in protracted and bloody war on a scale not seen since the last world war. Once again, don't get me wrong. Some ask the question, "how can you fight someone willing to die in order to impose his religion?" The simple answer is, "by obliging and helping him to do so." Nevertheless, that drastic answer truly pits us against them in a way that is not only immoral, but also unnecessary and self destructive. I don't want to join in the mass shunning of Islam now because I have a feeling there's a big group of people who're gladly looking to do it to Catholics later. If it comes to all out war, at least let us know that we looked at every option otherwise and I can't see how it must come to outright absolute war in the largest sense. War against terrorism and specific entities? Sure. Writing off all Muslims? Insane.

Sorry for the rambling response. Mea culpa.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"Is this also the mythical universe where all Mexicans rape our women and millions of Americans are secretly terrorist sympathisers who worship Bin Laden in their basement?

I mean, you're right, in this imaginary world where all of those things are true, I totally agree with you!"

\Huh? Mexican isn't a religion. It is a race. You can't choose your race. You can choose your religion. And, ALL religion has extremist elements. The problem is people like to make excuses for Muslim extremists.

"And who are these mythical creatures that say Christianity is all bad and should be banned?"

Are you kidding me? Do you pay attention to the world at all?  Britain just came out with a 'report' that it is 'no longer' a Christian country  and should rmeove all things Christian and add all other religions for 'inclsuiveness'.

The butthurt  certain people get when you wish them a Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays. Even sadder it is usually  scumbag SJW Nazi liberals who have that attitude. The same Liberals who bend over backwards  for Islam have no problem trahsing Christians/Catholics whenever some priest is reported for molesting children.

It is also funny that people try to make this a race issue when  that is an insult to all the black and other none white Christians/Catholics out there or the non Arab Muslims.

It is not about race. It is about religion. And, I included Athiesm in that.

The fact you just accused me of being Donald Trump is laughable. Donald Trump is a piece of crap. Something he has in common with  SJWs because they are all nazis. All about control other people.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

Who are these mythical creatures that say "say anything mean about Muslims and you deserve all the terrorism you get"?

I mean, there's one guy in HoonDing's picture, I suppose. 

And who are these mythical creatures that say Christianity is all bad and should be banned?

Is this also the mythical universe where all Mexicans rape our women and millions of Americans are secretly terrorist sympathisers who worship Bin Laden in their basement?

I mean, you're right, in this imaginary world where all of those things are true, I totally agree with you!

You've never heard those things ? Granted, a lot of the time it's wannabe militant atheists and some really out there liberal people (we had one professor that said terrorism in Israel is a-ok because of conscription, a long ago).

They are cranks, but that's Canada for you.

Hi Tigranes, welcome to the forums. Meet volourn

The years pass, yet I remain young, naive and foolish. Who can I blame but myself?

• Like 2

Hi Tigranes, welcome to the forums. Meet volourn

The years pass, yet I remain young, naive and foolish. Who can I blame but myself?

Obama.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Heh, there was a bomb threat at Grand Terrace High School. I have close friends there. Of course, as is usual in these cases, no real bomb or anything. I do recall seeing a black helicopter overhead, but it was more towards Loma Linda so I don't think it was out looking for terrorists who called in a bomb threat in Grand Terrace anyway. Crazy world in which we live.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

aHA! It becomes clearer. There were bomb threats in San Bernardino (high school) and in Loma Linda (who the hell knows where). That at least explains the black helicopter earlier today. I note that no one actually blew up. I'm with you. Bomb scares at the end of the fall term is not altogether unusual at a high school, eh?

Obsidian Plays

Yeah, but the eprson doing the bomb threat for the 'harmless' purpsoe of getting out fo exams is risking a lot more. In the old days, if you got caught you probably got yelled at and maybe suspended or expelled. Now, you are probably looking at years in prison and being ruined forever. Kind of a wasted risk.

• Like 1

aHA! It becomes clearer. There were bomb threats in San Bernardino (high school) and in Loma Linda (who the hell knows where). That at least explains the black helicopter earlier today. I note that no one actually blew up. I'm with you. Bomb scares at the end of the fall term is not altogether unusual at a high school, eh?

I think it is less common nowadays, mostly because they are better at tracking who called it in, they have a much bigger response to such threats, and they will pass the costs onto the person responsible.

I used to have a religious distrust of people who wouldn't share a beer with me, but then I came to understand it meant I get more beer that way.

Seriously, though, while I *do* think there is a Muslim problem in the world today, I don't think it's necessitated by its religious tenets. Islam, like every other religion practiced throughout history, is not a theology in practice. It more closely resembles politics on the macro level. Personally, people have religious convictions and they organize and interact according to these personal convictions in a way that becomes religion write large. This is true for a megalithic organization such as the Catholic Church down to hearth goddesses of ancient civilizations that were truly personal in a way that a lot of modern folks don't really understand. In all this time, there have been religions that called for varying amounts of violence or non-violence, and there have been folks in quite peaceful religions who exhibited remarkably violent attitudes as a culture and folks who have had religions tenets that not only allowed but even called for violence in certain circumstances who have been relatively peaceful compared to others. I'm loathe to name specifics just because someone always feels hurt or offended and, for the time being, I'll err on the side of not goading other folks. The upshot, however, isn't to castigate any of these organizations used in the examples anyway. It's to point out that the structure of Islam, although allowing for more violence, need not necessarily be violent in practice and there are many communities of peaceful Muslims. That's not a guestimate. That's simple observation. If 10% of the Muslim community in the United States were determined to kill and willing to die to do so, the country would literally look like a war zone. Hell, if .5% of us intlecshually challenged Chrishtuns were determined to kill heretics and willing to die to do it, we'd be screwed as a country. That's not to defend Islamic radicals. I think Islam has shown a propensity for radicalization in modern times that truly sets it ahead of other religions, although not entirely apart from some. ...But we can't solve the problem if we don't understand the causes. I'm not talking about social welfare programs or other pie in the sky foolish utopian nonsense. I'm talking about really getting to understand what options we have to fight terrorism that doesn't amount to engaging in protracted and bloody war on a scale not seen since the last world war. Once again, don't get me wrong. Some ask the question, "how can you fight someone willing to die in order to impose his religion?" The simple answer is, "by obliging and helping him to do so." Nevertheless, that drastic answer truly pits us against them in a way that is not only immoral, but also unnecessary and self destructive. I don't want to join in the mass shunning of Islam now because I have a feeling there's a big group of people who're gladly looking to do it to Catholics later. If it comes to all out war, at least let us know that we looked at every option otherwise and I can't see how it must come to outright absolute war in the largest sense. War against terrorism and specific entities? Sure. Writing off all Muslims? Insane.

Sorry for the rambling response. Mea culpa.

Cant there is another much easier solution ...why don't you Americans just all convert to Islam?

There.,...problem solved  :dancing:

Yes I know what you wondering, I do indeed build bridges for a living and help different cultures to find common  ground so consider my advice " informed and erudite " 

:biggrin:

John Milton 

Yeah, like i mentioned before, you need more white Muslims and white imams, it is because white people will only listen to white people. For now i believe all these non-sense about Muslims and Islam is merely racial and politic, not really about the religion called Islam. White people especially seeing Islam as "non-white" culture...