Which games would you like Obsidian to develop the most?

Bleak

Which games would you like Obsidian to develop the most?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Which games would you like Obsidian to develop the most? (multi-choice)

• A Fallout game like FNV
    • A Bloodlines sequel / A WOD game (single player)
    • A NWN sequel
    • A KOTOR sequel
    • A Dungeon Siege sequel
    • Pillars of Eternity II

After reading this thread, it seems to me that if Obsidian made a game where you were a vampire spy for an obscure religion that granted special abilities because it connected all life-forms together and the PC worked for one of several competing factions in a post-apocalyptic wasteland that were structured like feudal kingdoms and generally used swords and such everyone would get something they wanted.

original.gif

No.... gods no!   Please tell me this was intended as humour, that I have failed to read the sarcasm intended. aiee.gif

The :) wasn't enough? :)

With something like that, you can never ever have enough smilies to show you're joking!  My heart attack has stopped now, thank you!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

After reading this thread, it seems to me that if Obsidian made a game where you were a vampire spy for an obscure religion that granted special abilities because it connected all life-forms together and the PC worked for one of several competing factions in a post-apocalyptic wasteland that were structured like feudal kingdoms and generally used swords and such everyone would get something they wanted.

original.gif

No.... gods no!   Please tell me this was intended as humour, that I have failed to read the sarcasm intended. aiee.gif

With something like that, you can never ever have enough smilies to show you're joking!  My heart attack has stopped now, thank you!

Sorry for the trauma!

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

original.gif

Sorry for the trauma!

That's alright, my fault I should learn to stay calm, otherwise next time it could kill me! :o

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I voted for all except dungeon siege and if any of them besides that one was made, do be screaming for joy.

What I would really want Obsidian to make is a lovecraftian rpg set in Victorian London and using the old black and white horror films as lovecraftian villains. Characters being normal joes of different backgrounds who can be easily killed. The blob, werewolves, creature from the black lagoon, Jack the Ripper, etc etc as either lovecraftian monsters or as failed experiments of dr jeckle/mr Hyde who's trying to combine "SCIENCE!!" with Old Ones magic who's also being manipulated by Mr. Shiny....

Personally, I'd love a someone, whether it be Obsidian or not, to make a really good user-friendly toolset for people to make custom cRPG campaigns. Sword Coast Legends failed amazingly at this opting to make DM-mode an on-the-fly multiplayer thing rather that giving us a solid toolset to create our own in depth custom content.

Feargus did pretty much say he could see Eternity IP in an open world Skyrim-type FP game.

Ye Gods... please no.

Edited by Ape_Style

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

Personally, I'd love a someone, whether it be Obsidian or not, to make a really good user-friendly toolset for people to make custom cRPG campaigns. Sword Coast Legends failed amazingly at this opting to make DM-mode an on-the-fly multiplayer thing rather that giving us a solid toolset to create our own in depth custom content.

Feargus did pretty much say he could see Eternity IP in an open world Skyrim-type FP game.

Ye Gods... please no.

SCL was an obvious cashgrab preying upon the forgotten realms/dnd fans. Did not even waste time reading its reviews.

Team based isometric crpgs surely bring different things to the table. A flavor of strategy/tactics for example. But I think that a first/third person open world rpg has more potential for roleplaying, immersion and pretty much more of everything else an isometric would have. Even dnd ruleset can be adjusted.

We have the technology nowadays - back then we did not. Also budgets were tight, audience was limited. If Obsidian earns enough money now I don't see why they shouldn't do it. As long as they do not go out of their way to have voiced protagonists "to keep up with the era" and limit choices and roleplay and as long as they keep the complexity the original has, they may even produce something as authentic as the classics.

Edited by Bleak

So I just saw this interview: http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331721253309/pillars-of-eternity-what-next-for-obsidian

In fact, around eight years ago, Obsidian actually turned down the opportunity to do the first Game of Thrones RPG.

“I don’t know if the project would have ever happened,” says Urquhart, candidly, “but we were approached by a big publisher, and they had the Game of Thrones licence at the time. And I love Game of Thrones – it’s an incredibly rich story and world and obviously the characterisation is amazing. But, there’s a couple of things about it that are challenging if you want to make a roleplaying game.

“Part of it was very interesting to us because of the focus on characters, and that’s kind of what we do. But if you think about the world, it’s so much about the politics and it’s so much about the linear story of what’s going on. Then you tie that to magic playing a very little role, and to be honest, [the story is] mostly [about] people. There’s not a lot of standard role-playing fantasy things, [like] putting an adventuring party together and going to find the abandoned ruins full of zombies and witches and ghosts and spectres and ghouls and all that kind of stuff.

Why Feargus WHY? 

and that reason...

Why Feargus WHY? 

and that reason...

Lol if you believe Feargus gave the actual reason and not just PR speak to cover up the fact that it was probably a business deal. This is the same guy that signed a deal for an Alien RPG.

Did you meant to write "bad business deal"?

Anyway, after "that reason" he goes on to say that he told the publisher an RTS game would be better fit for GoT etc. PR or actual; he either tells "We chickened out" or he doesn't believe a medieval rpg without heavy magic would be fun/he wouldn't approve such a game; very publisher-like mind. Don't know which is worse. Faith in Obsidian decreased 25%

Hope that soon to be announced(He said in a few months, 2 months ago) Stormlands/NC RPG isn't another medieval HF or any HF.
  • Like 1

Did you meant to write "bad business deal"?

Yes.

EDIT: I mean. All GoT games have been done on a cheap budget and both Bethesda and Obsidian turned down the opportunity to work on the franchise. This isn't simply a case of "we don't think a Game of Thrones RPG would be mainstream enough" (of course it'd be with the right budget, especially now, lol).

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

I really enjoyed the GoT RPG, it didn't really feel cheap to me. Graphics were good, voice acting was top notch, game was fun, story was good, even had a nice cameo from GRRM himself. It actually surprised me how good it was. Its pretty linear yeah, but it was a tie in to the show, so there wasn't a lot they could do.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

So I just saw this interview: http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331721253309/pillars-of-eternity-what-next-for-obsidian

In fact, around eight years ago, Obsidian actually turned down the opportunity to do the first Game of Thrones RPG.

“I don’t know if the project would have ever happened,” says Urquhart, candidly, “but we were approached by a big publisher, and they had the Game of Thrones licence at the time. And I love Game of Thrones – it’s an incredibly rich story and world and obviously the characterisation is amazing. But, there’s a couple of things about it that are challenging if you want to make a roleplaying game.

“Part of it was very interesting to us because of the focus on characters, and that’s kind of what we do. But if you think about the world, it’s so much about the politics and it’s so much about the linear story of what’s going on. Then you tie that to magic playing a very little role, and to be honest, [the story is] mostly [about] people. There’s not a lot of standard role-playing fantasy things, [like] putting an adventuring party together and going to find the abandoned ruins full of zombies and witches and ghosts and spectres and ghouls and all that kind of stuff.

Why Feargus WHY? 

and that reason...

Would actually have to agree with this reason. Well perhaps it is poorly put in that quote, but even if GOT is a great book and tv series I don't really think GOT would have made for a good rpg. First of all what makes GOT "tick", is that it's a multiple story narrative mostly focused on politics. Secondly its world is too dull as a fantasy world imo. It hardly has any mythological creatures. What would the 99% of Westeros' or Essos' land be populated from? Bandits? Meh.

Elric of Melnibone on the other hand would make for an excellent rpg. An extremely rich fantasy world, lore, gods, artifacts, monsters and many unique and admirable points of interest (unlike GOT). Story-wise - intrigue, with twists and turns like a greek tragedy. 

GOT would still sell better for obvious reasons though -.-

• Like 1

Why Feargus WHY? 

and that reason...

Would actually have to agree with this reason. Well perhaps it is poorly put in that quote, but even if GOT is a great book and tv series I don't really think GOT would have made for a good rpg. First of all what makes GOT "tick", is that it's a multiple story narrative mostly focused on politics. Secondly its world is too dull as a fantasy world imo. It hardly has any mythological creatures. What would the 99% of Westeros' or Essos' land be populated from? Bandits? Meh.

Elric of Melnibone on the other hand would make for an excellent rpg. An extremely rich fantasy world, lore, gods, artifacts, monsters and many unique and admirable points of interest (unlike GOT). Story-wise - intrigue, with twists and turns like a greek tragedy. 

GOT would still sell better for obvious reasons though -.-

but even if GOT is a great book and tv series I don't really think GOT would have made for a good rpg. First of all what makes GOT "tick", is that it's a multiple story narrative mostly focused on politics.

So? I played all witcher games and the part I loved the most was the politics of the 2nd game(too bad they overly simplified it in the third game), loved the court trial part of NWN2, I even liked Skyrim's civil war part most in that game, wish it was more deep/more fleshed out; my favorite Skyrim mod was "immersive partrols" which sets real time patrols of the factions in the world, clashing whenever they meet, take keeps from each other etc. And GoT has a lot factions/Obsidian love factions in their games. Strangely I don't pay attention/have little interest in real life politics. 

As for GoT being a linear story, well that's the essence of why I want a GoT "RPG" (in which the player can impact the fate of different houses etc.) and not just an open world action game.

Secondly its world is too dull as a fantasy world imo. It hardly has any mythological creatures. What would the 99% of Westeros' or Essos' land be populated from? Bandits? Meh.

As I said above there are a lot of factions(too many) in the world of ASoIaF to fill the world, and I don't believe a medieval game(or medieval RPG) has to have lots of magical things in it. I'd take an abundance of realistic/grey/not 2D human characters over a thousand different magical creature anyday and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one : p

Also I don't believe an open world should be filled that much(like in W3), open spaces makes lots of sense in medieval setting.

Edited by Quillon

but even if GOT is a great book and tv series I don't really think GOT would have made for a good rpg. First of all what makes GOT "tick", is that it's a multiple story narrative mostly focused on politics.

So? I played all witcher games and the part I loved the most was the politics of the 2nd game(too bad they overly simplified it in the third game), loved the court trial part of NWN2, I even liked Skyrim's civil war part most in that game, wish it was more deep/more fleshed out; my favorite Skyrim mod was "immersive partrols" which sets real time patrols of the factions in the world, clashing whenever they meet, take keeps from each other etc. And GoT has a lot factions/Obsidian love factions in their games. Strangely I don't pay attention/have little interest in real life politics. 

As for GoT being a linear story, well that's the essence of why I want a GoT "RPG" (in which the player can impact the fate of different houses etc.) and not just an open world action game.

Secondly its world is too dull as a fantasy world imo. It hardly has any mythological creatures. What would the 99% of Westeros' or Essos' land be populated from? Bandits? Meh.

As I said above there are a lot of factions(too many) in the world of ASoIaF to fill the world, and I don't believe a medieval game(or medieval RPG) has to have lots of magical things in it. I'd take an abundance of realistic/grey/not 2D human characters over a thousand different magical creature anyday and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one : p

Also I don't believe an open world should be filled that much(like in W3), open spaces makes lots of sense in medieval setting.

Personally I would prefer a mix of people and different creatures. But a fantasy world with humans only, can work - not saying it won't. I just like a more "varied" mythology.

I like open spaces and realistic travel distances in my open world games as well, but if that means cutting content and POIs because of them, then I wouldn't prefer them.

Politics was merely a supplementary story on Skyrim. I used that mod too and would also have liked they expanded the story more and did enjoy it. Politics as a main theme might still work, but again, personally, I would choose a fantasy themed story any day over politics. 

The most important part though in my quote is not the politics it's the "multiple story narrative" . I am not sure if having a protagonist in GOT would actually work. One of the fundamental things in GOT is that it doesn't have one protagonist. What would be your role in the game? Roam the land, being a diplomat among the kingdoms and clear bandits or fight other factions in-between? 

Personally I would prefer a mix of people and different creatures. But a fantasy world with humans only, can work - not saying it won't. I just like a more "varied" mythology.

I like open spaces and realistic travel distances in my open world games as well, but if that means cutting content and POIs because of them, then I wouldn't prefer them.

Politics was merely a supplementary story on Skyrim. I used that mod too and would also have liked they expanded the story more and did enjoy it. Politics as a main theme might still work, but again, personally, I would choose a fantasy themed story any day over politics. 

The most important part though in my quote is not the politics it's the "multiple story narrative" . I am not sure if having a protagonist in GOT would actually work. One of the fundamental things in GOT is that it doesn't have one protagonist. What would be your role in the game? Roam the land, being a diplomat among the kingdoms and clear bandits or fight other factions in-between? 

Haven't really thought about that, I guess the template in my mind was like: choose one of few known houses and start as the heir/second son to that house etc. Now that I think about it, it would be too costly, the game would be costly anyway but this would triple it : p 

Let's see... the protagonist can be a young man without a family name as far as we know, who lived in the slums of king's landing until rightfully/wrongfully accused of a crime and being sent to night's watch, makes his escape on the road/or from castle black and game starts there; then on the player should try to survive somehow with his wits and/or combat prowess(the world is full of possibilities : p) with NW and mostly northern lords at his heels, while his identity slowly reveals... well this came out not so political : d

And there are lots of fantasy elements in this world, just cos every third person can't throw a fireball it shouldn't be counted as non-fantasy.

Edited by Quillon