Which games would you like Obsidian to develop the most?

Bleak

Which games would you like Obsidian to develop the most?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Which games would you like Obsidian to develop the most? (multi-choice)

• A Fallout game like FNV
    • A Bloodlines sequel / A WOD game (single player)
    • A NWN sequel
    • A KOTOR sequel
    • A Dungeon Siege sequel
    • Pillars of Eternity II

MMORPG: What is next for Pillars of Eternity -- can gamers consider the game done or are there more expansions or even a sequel planned?

Josh: Pillars of Eternity is all wrapped up.  It's been a great experience, but we'd like to move on to a new project.  We'd love to make a sequel and have a ton of ideas for ways we can improve on Pillars, but that's a way off.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/10633/Interview-Josh-Sawyer-on-Wrapping-Up-Pillars-of-Eternity.html

hımnn... well, [what I said 3 posts above.] : d

https://youtu.be/7hqYxXEdw8U?t=9145

So WMP2's out, announce this game already! It's been nearly 4 months : p 

This is probably my most hyped game at the moment and I don't even know anything about it, heh. Since it's been in development for a while already I expect it to be released only a few months after being announced (maybe sometime this year? Brian Heins' LinkedIn page said he's been the project lead on it since February 2014, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch).

MMORPG: What is next for Pillars of Eternity -- can gamers consider the game done or are there more expansions or even a sequel planned?

Josh: Pillars of Eternity is all wrapped up. It's been a great experience, but we'd like to move on to a new project. We'd love to make a sequel and have a ton of ideas for ways we can improve on Pillars, but that's a way off.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/10633/Interview-Josh-Sawyer-on-Wrapping-Up-Pillars-of-Eternity.html

hımnn... well, [what I said 3 posts above.] : d

Well that's somewhat disappointing. I was hoping they'd jump right in with a sequel. Hopefully they have something similar coming making use of the already established pipeline from Eternity. Pathfinder?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

So I was doing some digging on Obsidian's employees and found this: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pkirsch

This is a new narrative designer at Obsidian who's been working on their unannounced game since July 2015. The description has something particularly of note:

Narrative Designer

Obsidian Entertainment July 2015 – Present (9 months) Irvine, CA

I write complex, branching conversations that fulfill any number of objectives. Dialogues track reputation changes, past actions and future cutscenes through global variables and on enter / on exit scripting. This requires working closely with Level Designers to determine the unique needs of each conversation, staying on top of shifting priorities, and keeping consistent with the project's tone and objectives. Primary tools of focus are Obsidian's proprietary dialogue editor and the Unity engine.

- 2015 - 2016: Unannounced Project

Unless I'm missing anything, does this mean the reincarnated Stormlands is going to be on the Unity engine? Either that or it's an entirely different game.

So I was doing some digging on Obsidian's employees and found this: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pkirsch

This is a new narrative designer at Obsidian who's been working on their unannounced game since July 2015. The description has something particularly of note:

Narrative Designer

Obsidian Entertainment July 2015 – Present (9 months) Irvine, CA

I write complex, branching conversations that fulfill any number of objectives. Dialogues track reputation changes, past actions and future cutscenes through global variables and on enter / on exit scripting. This requires working closely with Level Designers to determine the unique needs of each conversation, staying on top of shifting priorities, and keeping consistent with the project's tone and objectives. Primary tools of focus are Obsidian's proprietary dialogue editor and the Unity engine.

- 2015 - 2016: Unannounced Project

Unless I'm missing anything, does this mean the reincarnated Stormlands is going to be on the Unity engine? Either that or it's an entirely different game.

In that gameinformer video above, it's said that Obs returned to using unreal engine. If they are also using Unity there might be 2 unannounced projects Obs is working on.

https://youtu.be/7hqYxXEdw8U?t=6916

Edited by Quillon

Wasn't there talk about a new OBS kickstarter firing up last year? What happened to that?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Wasn't there talk about a new OBS kickstarter firing up last year? What happened to that?

It was an idea in late 2014 then Obs postponed it for post-PoE release due to feedback from fans/till they delivered the first KS then nothing as of today.

While PoE II would be neat I also wouldn't mind getting a game like NWN 2 in a 3D engine with a nice, huge toolbox for mods and user-generated content. Something along the lines would also seem to be the smart commercial decision, seeing how much life, new customers even years after the initial release, and replay value one can squeeze out of actively modded games...

Write in vote for Awesome Brotocols sequel.

This.  The brotastic adventures of Michael Thorton and Steven Heck would be awesome.  I'd settle for a spin-off starring SIE.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

hopefully this game doesn't follow some cliche video game/hollywood plotline where you make some big leaps like overthrow your master. Evil guy working for a evil warlord dealing with the denizens of a occupied land. Sounds cool lets see if you can do evil stuff like force captives to take eye tatoos that will get them blind eventually or spanking and bondage of goody two shoes heroes.

Where's the "Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura sequel" option?

Activision owns Arcanum AFAIK (via purchasing Sierra), so any game Obs did would be "Spiritual Sequel" only.  Which wouldn't be bad, necessary, since I think Arcanum - while fun - did a lot of things that could be improved upon.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Where's the "Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura sequel" option?

Activision owns Arcanum AFAIK (via purchasing Sierra), so any game Obs did would be "Spiritual Sequel" only.  Which wouldn't be bad, necessary, since I think Arcanum - while fun - did a lot of things that could be improved upon.

Well, yeah, that's what I meant.

Just like if Paradox can't get the rights for the "Bloodlines" name off of Activision, Obsidian can just make a "totally not VtMB2" sequel using a different name. 

I hate Unity.

More Pillars please guys. But I wouldn't complain if Kotor or Bloodlines were to get an Obsidian sequel.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Yeah, I think an Arcanum spiritual successor would be fine here.

All it needs (IMHO) is:

1) Tim Cain

2) Steam Punk

3) A setting where technology comes about in a fantasy world and doesn't agree with magic at all. However, I would be fine if they took a Shadowrun approach and had magic show up in our world around the late 1800s to early 1900s.

4) Somber score with all string instruments, or at least a heavy amount of string instruments.

5) Open class system that is as versatile as Arcanum, but make technology skills more viable.

There are probably a few I am missing. I would retain the fantasy races, personally. But I could live with a change here.

I would also make all skills require 10 points to max instead of some requiring 10 and others 5. The amount doesn't matter but conformity should be there. Everything should cost the same to max out.

Also, I would separate attribute points from skill points. I would retain the 8 attributes, but wouldn't cry if Body was sacrificed to only have 7 attributes.

I would be fine with adding feats to allow more versatility. Some feats may require maxing one skill (like fire magic) and nearly maxed second skill (say Melee). The feat you would gain allows all melee damage to have added fire damage. They just need to ensure each possible skill combo has a feat with the exception of tech skills and magic skills mixing.

Eh, small post got big fast. Anyway that is what I would want, but the premise of Arcanum spiritual successor is enough.

• Like 1

I would like a game based on the Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards album by Gloryhammer. Dwarves, knights, and evil wizards, riding robot dragons through space, all to a power metal soundtrack.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, yeah, that's what I meant.

Just like if Paradox can't get the rights for the "Bloodlines" name off of Activision, Obsidian can just make a "totally not VtMB2" sequel using a different name.

Activision would have to publish the game for a proper sequel anyway. Paradox couldn't come close to doing it alone, but I'm pretty sure Bloodlines was included in the recent deal, so it's their's to do with what they wish.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love a true sequel to FALLOUT 2.

It's a shame to see what Bethesda has done to that franchise, and I very much want to see Obsidian deliver a true Fallout experience.

Dungeon Siege III wasn't terrible, but I feel that SQUEENIX may have had way too much influence on the games outcome, and going back to how the previous games were would make me extremely happy.

NWN would be a nice surprise, as would Bloodlines. This is pretty difficult :blink:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A Bloodlines sequel would be peachy, thanks.

Or a new Fallout.... I was immensely disappointed with Fallout 4

Bloodlines was not only my introduction to first person RPGs, but RPGs alone... and apart from New Vegas, the first person RPG genre has been woefully lacking.

While I do like turn based, and loved Wasteland 2... I want to feel that immersion, Bloodlines just set the bar ridiculously high.... :(

• Like 2

A Bloodlines sequel would be peachy, thanks.

Or a new Fallout.... I was immensely disappointed with Fallout 4

Bloodlines was not only my introduction to first person RPGs, but RPGs alone... and apart from New Vegas, the first person RPG genre has been woefully lacking.

While I do like turn based, and loved Wasteland 2... I want to feel that immersion, Bloodlines just set the bar ridiculously high.... :(

Yeah, Bloodlines nailed every aspect of immersion - unmatched writing for spoken dialogue, great characters and quests, superb voice acting and audio in general, modern environment, facial animations, real world quest locations, high res textures, all in FPS. Would love to see Obsidian try to match it.