Which games would you like Obsidian to develop the most?

Bleak

Which games would you like Obsidian to develop the most?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Which games would you like Obsidian to develop the most? (multi-choice)

• A Fallout game like FNV
    • A Bloodlines sequel / A WOD game (single player)
    • A NWN sequel
    • A KOTOR sequel
    • A Dungeon Siege sequel
    • Pillars of Eternity II

I'd like an RPG that plays like Jagged Alliance: Back in Action but maybe a bit simplified/pollshed gameplay: better production value than JA : p, on a big open world/setting like Arma 3's Altis map(could be too big tho), where player character leads some sort of company(companions with personality/quests not just a mercenary roster to choose from, that could be optional), a bit more complex base building than what's in state of decay, managing the base, roles to fill with companions... lots of factions-conflicts etc. MAKE IT! : D

Edited by Quillon

Am I the only one bummed that Alpha Protocol II isn't on this list?

While the actual combat-gameplay part was admittedly flawed, everything else around it was so great.  There is definitely room for a spy rpg in the market and you'd have virtually no competition .  Splinter Cell and MGSV have item mechanics but none of the decision making stuff that really stood out in AP.

Edited by Cronstintein

Bloodlines game, in a modern setting of FPS proportion.

Anything, in a modern setting. Alpha Protocol sequel would be welcome, but very doubtful due to little fandom, interest, money, etc.

The safest best is still magic n elves in an old, fantastical realm that's been done to death. But I'm done with those games..

I would love another Nethergate type game or really any Roman RPG

Roman RPG, that sounds awesome!!! Ever play Roma Victor?
Age of Decadence?

As much as I loved the game I wouldn't call it a Roman RPG

Gotcha, I haven't played it enough (an hour or two).

It's in my pile of "to-do", tried it out and felt tons of Roman vibes.

I would love another Nethergate type game or really any Roman RPG

Roman RPG, that sounds awesome!!! Ever play Roma Victor?
Age of Decadence?

As much as I loved the game I wouldn't call it a Roman RPG
Gotcha, I haven't played it enough (an hour or two).

It's in my pile of "to-do", tried it out and felt tons of Roman vibes.

Thx for the tip guys I'll check that one out!

How about an original Scifi game utilizing the generic D20 system? Stay way from 3rd party IP, as it ends up being too costly. Timewise, further in the future than cyberpunk, but not as far as Star Wars/Trek. Heavily a frontier game, where the adventure is in going out and discovering things, like first alien contact or even xenomonsters. Or hell, even a modernized Lost in Space. RPG mechanics capitol spaceship combat? Maybe, maybe not. But...

Pulse Plasma Pistol 1D6.

Lightweight Forcefield Jacket, +2AC.

etc.

• Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Pretty sure that the rights to use the D20 system in video games are owned by Wizards of the coast. Maybe Hasbro. I'm not sure. I am pretty sure that is why there isn't a Pathfinder RPG out there. So, even if you create a new IP, you are dealing with the same headache as using an existing IP.

It's probably best to create your own system if you want autonomy.

Pillars of the Eternity 2 of course. Since game/engine/setting is on fire, and it is good exploit it when it is still fresh and more or less known. Jumping to other setting will be a lot of waste for creating new world, new mechanic, new graphic... it is paintfull to think of.

Also i want to see Vailia Republics. :yes:

Once Obsidian is done with PoE... WoD Bloodlines 2. With similar premise as Bloodlines (mix of genres, with sneaking, shooting, rpg, melee, magic andstuff)

Good thing Paradox get the IP maybe that will work.

Just a curiousity... but... how would a WoD game work in Isometric perspective with either Party based mechanics or single character mechanics?

Could work? I remember enjoying Bloodlines a lot in the First Person view, and I would prefer a follow-up to follow suit but... just out of curiosity... :) some gut feeling is telling me that it "Could be freaking awesome!!!" if done right... but a lot of the stealth aspects and the "continuity" would be lost (Just look at Fallout 3 and the reception it got from a lot of Fallout 1 & 2 fans, because they changed the format too much).

My train of thought:
- What if Obsidian develops a WoD game... hmm?
- Don't they have Pillars of Eternity fresh on their minds... hmm?
- Unity Engine, re-do textures and 3D models, replace the PoE system with a WoD system... hmm?

Effectively speaking, it could help production by re-using assets and learnings, but Obsidian doesn't feel like a studio that wants to create Isometric games for an... Eternity... *ba-dum-tss*

Edited by Osvir

The thing is I don't think that inXile and Obsidian did the return to Isometric game as some sort of nostalgic trip. The simple fact is that the more complex 3D engines require a lot of time and resources to make a game. Therefore abandoning other perspectives was a very bad idea, and they're trying to rectify it.

If you want to make cheaper and "smaller" games (I think Van Buren was actually larger than New Vegas) you need to be able to work with something simpler.

1aw3tiY.png

No one would mind any of these game being made but the issue is, appart from pillars 2 (which I guess is surely happening and of course it should be), why bother with franchises such as starwars,vampire,fallout etc. anymore?

I think people have made it very clear here as well as in older threads (https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66478-next-obsidian-kickstarter/)

that they want more of what obsidian does best in an new/alternative setting. The steam punk world of Arcanum comes up a lot for that reason.

Why not a spiritual successor to that (like inXile is doing with Torment) instead of any diret sequel.

Obsidian found it's foothold with Pillars and we expect them to go forward in surprising and exiting directions, not back to making sequels and spinoffs.

Pillars of the Eternity 2 of course. Since game/engine/setting is on fire, and it is good exploit it when it is still fresh and more or less known.

While that much is true, I can easily imagine PoE team after several years of designing, writing, testing, tweaking and balancing game systems somewhere around this point yelling "Dammit, people, give me something to work on without friggin' Pillars or bloody Eternity in the name!!!" So... maybe a little break is in order?

Anyway, absence of Alpha Protocol sequel/spiritual successor in the poll makes me a sad panda. So I went with WoD game.

Edited by Yellow Rabbit

@Yellow Rabbit: It doesn't have to have Pillars of Eternity in the name, but it could definately still be Eora :)

Feargus did pretty much say he could see Eternity IP in an open world Skyrim-type FP game. It's not just "Pillars of Eternity" that is the IP, it's the whole Eora World that is the IP (and that is one of the strongest points that everybody loves and enjoys about Eternity; the lore and world-building is loved). Albeit, he did say this quite long ago and that mentality might've changed of course.

Also updated my vote to add WoD into it, didn't realize what it was at first (not that I know very much about the universe, just know and played Bloodlines). And all is well, 43 votes each now.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

I am just thinking that PoE 1 is game when mistakes have been made, and feedback collected.

So PoE2 would be a chance to do everything from the begining but this time right, using tools which are already made.

And after PoE2 OBS could move to another IP for a while.

After reading this thread, it seems to me that if Obsidian made a game where you were a vampire spy for an obscure religion that granted special abilities because it connected all life-forms together and the PC worked for one of several competing factions in a post-apocalyptic wasteland that were structured like feudal kingdoms and generally used swords and such everyone would get something they wanted.

:)

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I would love a NWN-like game under pathfinder rules.

But I want it for the multiplayer posibility to create modules and persistent worlds that NWN gave to the players, not that much for the single player story... So maybe obsidian isn't the best option for that. But I don't think that there is any other company that would do it, so...

I vote for it anyway.

NWN scene is great and it's still surviving besides the shut down of the authentification server and of gamespy, but it will eventually die without new players.

NWN 2 came too soon and the toolset was too complicated  to work with to be a succesor to NWN for multiplayers. It gave more control to the players, but players were already achieving those things in NWN with player made extensions, and computers in that age had a lot of troubles to move well NWN2.

But now a NWN 3 (Or whatever it's called) would work pretty well, because now NWN scene is ready to move to a modern game.

And for role players, the NWN-like modules of persistent worlds are just the best experience ever that can be achieved with a computer game.

After reading this thread, it seems to me that if Obsidian made a game where you were a vampire spy for an obscure religion that granted special abilities because it connected all life-forms together and the PC worked for one of several competing factions in a post-apocalyptic wasteland that were structured like feudal kingdoms and generally used swords and such everyone would get something they wanted.

:)

No.... gods no!   Please tell me this was intended as humour, that I have failed to read the sarcasm intended. :aiee:

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

original.gif

No.... gods no!   Please tell me this was intended as humour, that I have failed to read the sarcasm intended. aiee.gif

The :) wasn't enough? :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man