Which games would you like Obsidian to develop the most?

Bleak

Which games would you like Obsidian to develop the most?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Which games would you like Obsidian to develop the most? (multi-choice)

• A Fallout game like FNV
    • A Bloodlines sequel / A WOD game (single player)
    • A NWN sequel
    • A KOTOR sequel
    • A Dungeon Siege sequel
    • Pillars of Eternity II

Fallout: Would love to work on this. Especially as we have Tim and Josh here.

Bloodlines: Oh yes would love to do this as well! We've worked with Paradox with Pillars so you never know....

NWN: Well we are partnered with Paizo and Pathfinder. So I'm not sure Wizards would let us work on D&D.

KOTOR: Disney.

Pillars: Obsidian really needed its own IP. Pillars is the perfect IP for us, because it was developed by us. I think Obsidian is committed to growing this. There are two major benefits to this being ours: 1. We can write the story and lore as we see fit and tell exactly the story we want. We are not constrained by another companies input on what we can and cannot do. 2. No licensing needed to make the game. 

Arcanum: I'm not sure we could. But I would love it and I know of at least one other guy in the office who would as well. :)

Keep in mind, these are my own thoughts and opinions and not Obsidian's!

• Like 12

@StormbringerGT

Fallout/Arcanum: I don't think anyone would mind you guys making another IP via kickstarter, with a single blank slate protagonist, a classless system, and turn based combat. Heck, make a post apocalyptic steampunk setting where magic and technology don't get along and give us something fairly unique in the gaming world. Which would also kill both those birds with one stone.

NWN: I don't think anyone would mind a game built around module creation like NWN was set in the Pathfinder setting.

kotor: Disney means EA which means Bioware would likely get it of it were in the cards. At least that's my 2 cents. Wouldn't complain if it happened though.

Pillars: keep em coming, please.

Bloodlines: I would be psyched for this as well.

• Like 1

@StormbringerGT

Fallout/Arcanum: I don't think anyone would mind you guys making another IP via kickstarter, with a single blank slate protagonist, a classless system, and turn based combat. Heck, make a post apocalyptic steampunk setting where magic and technology don't get along and give us something fairly unique in the gaming world. Which would also kill both those birds with one stone.

NWN: I don't think anyone would mind a game built around module creation like NWN was set in the Pathfinder setting.

kotor: Disney means EA which means Bioware would likely get it of it were in the cards. At least that's my 2 cents. Wouldn't complain if it happened though.

Pillars: keep em coming, please.

Bloodlines: I would be psyched for this as well.

I have notebooks filled with stuff about an original Vampire/Werewolf world (hard to do nowadays!), told through some alt history that I have always wanted to see the light of day....

I'm totally voting for Fallout ^^

Please no more boring dads/sons as protagonists. 

Please more funny NPC like Fantastic, No-bark Noonan, Oliver Swanick, James Garret, 10 of Spades, Philippe the Chef, etc, etc. 

Please more cool characters like Cass, The King, Joshua Graham, Chief Hanlon, Vulpes, etc, etc.

It's very sad that this is just a dream..

P.S. NWN2 sequel or a completely new rpg with the same intrigue/drama - that would be great.

Delighted to see WOD/Bloodlines on top. I think it's been too long since the last real vampire rpg and I think that WOD's vampires have unlimited potential and can make for some excellent atmospheric horror rpgs rich in both world/lore immersion and interesting rpg mechanics.

As I said earlier my wet dream is an open urban world rpg or at least a bloodlines-style world but bigger. At least same quality of character development, even more character customization, tribes and complexity for ridiculous amounts of replayability. 

Bloodlines was a relatively small game if you think about it... but it had an interesting amount of replayability - almost every fan says so. Its dialog system + tribes and their different interaction with the game world + various ways you can handle certain quests. Atmosphere-wise, if they can capture the same eerieness, the downtown night atmosphere and world believability, we would have another masterpiece in our hands.

Edited by Bleak

To be honest I have 3 dreams:

1) Continuation of Alpha Protocol

2) Pathfinder based game with modability and world building elements on par with NWN

3) EDIT: A GOOD RPG set either in Warhammer or Warhammer40k setting. I cannot believe none was made yet. Heck they could be even more on the action side given the settings.

Edited by Darkpriest

Usual request for these types of threads:

1. Dark Heresy W40k RPG using the Pillars engine and turn based.

2. Legacy of Kain game, only vampire story i'm really interested in, small mid sized game possibly going back to the Blood Omen roots of the series instead of the cutscene heavy thing it has become. Gameplay first, big interesting world with lots to explore, top down instead of third person with "distinct" voice acting not the typical boring everyman, and unashamedly verbose and convoluted, but also thrilling and revelatory.

3. Arcanum sequel of course, though perhaps this can be done in a later iteration of the Pillars games, though truth told I enjoyed Arcanum far more than Poe i'm sorry to say.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Tough poll is tough.

Apart of me would love to see the team take another shot at Fallout. I've got over 900 hours in FO;NV alone and that beats out any other FO game I've played.

But my undying love of VTMB (Undying....get it?) really gets me in the mood for a sequel, and I think Obsidian could make it awesome.

I'm torn, but if I had to pick one it'd be VTMB. For all the love I have for Fallout, 4 left me in an apathetic state toward the series.

• Like 3

Well, PoE 2 will definitely happen in the future, and maybe we will know something not so long after the release of The White March II.

FNV was fantastic in a lot of ways, so it would be good to see another Fallout from Obsidian (after all, they're the ones who worked on the originals... and now they even have Tim Cain in the team), although they would still have to work with the ****ty framework left by Bethesda, which won't likely let them make any major changes to the systems, the engine, gameplay style, etc... but nonetheless it would be good to play a real Fallout again.

KotOR or some other SW rpg would be cool, although the most influential guy behind KotOR II's designs and story was MCA, and he's no longer working with Obsidian. Also, since the deal between Disney and EA that's just not gonna happen anyway.

An rpg in the style of Vampire: Bloodlines would be great, I sure hope they'll talk about it with Paradox.

Beyond all these IPs, though, I'd like to see even more new IPs from Obsidian, exploring other settings: it would be cool to have some sci-fi stories, another spy-rpg, some historical rpg, maybe even a spaghetti-western rpg could be cool!

FNV was fantastic in a lot of ways, so it would be good to see another Fallout from Obsidian (after all, they're the ones who worked on the originals... and now they even have Tim Cain in the team), although they would still have to work with the ****ty framework left by Bethesda, which won't likely let them make any major changes to the systems, the engine, gameplay style, etc... but nonetheless it would be good to play a real Fallout again.

Two biggest problems with fo4 are the voiced protagonist, which adds nothing to the game due to its first person nature and limits dialogue. And the perk/skill overhaul which reduces gameplay depth. Since its essentially the same engine as fallout 3/new vegas I don't think it would be too hard to bring skills back, and the dialogue system is easily fixed by not having a voiced protagonist. So we could pretty easily get a game on the level of New Vegas at least

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Two biggest problems with fo4 are the voiced protagonist, which adds nothing to the game due to its first person nature and limits dialogue. And the perk/skill overhaul which reduces gameplay depth. Since its essentially the same engine as fallout 3/new vegas I don't think it would be too hard to bring skills back, and the dialogue system is easily fixed by not having a voiced protagonist. So we could pretty easily get a game on the level of New Vegas at least

Thing is, I believe Bethesda wouldn't allow Obsidian to change so much the direction they have taken with the series. They decided that Fallout needs to be more cinematic and less complex, so the future games will probably have to follow that direction too, just as New Vegas could only features somewhat minor changes to the systems and gameplay.

But, despite Bethesda's efforts to ruin the Fallout series, I think Obsidian would still be able to make a proper rpg (although with less complex systems).

One with a turn based combat system, no filler content, and modder friendly. Setting doesn't matter imo.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Another game like Alpha Protocol would be my first choice (as Sega owns the IP it might have to be a spiritual successor rather than a direct sequel). I'd also really love to see Obsidian make a Bloodlines style game. That sci-fi game they were working on with the time-travel sounded interesting, as well, although there may be licensing issues that would prevent them from reviving it.

I'm pretty burnt out on Fallout to be honest, and I'd rather see Obsidian something else instead.

Edited by eimatshya

Arcanum: I'm not sure we could. But I would love it and I know of at least one other guy in the office who would as well. :)

Keep in mind, these are my own thoughts and opinions and not Obsidian's!

Didn't Activision reform Sierra specifically to do smaller nostalgia projects? Maybe you guys could pitch something similar in scope to PoE, or do a partial publisher partial crowdfunded deal to make something bigger.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I voted on "Fallout" and "Pillars of Eternity II".

Fallout
Thinking a little bit out of the box here in a couple of lines but something got me thinking the other day... why Fallout? (Except from the obvious marketing boosts and popularity in media)

Because, personally, when Fallout 3 did release, Fallout kind of died to me. The best Fallout games (again, in my opinion), are Fallout and Fallout 2. They have the gameplay, the charms, the graphics and the plot/story all set in place, in such a great way that neither Fallout 3 or New Vegas could achieve. It isn't all about Turn-Based or about First Person or anything like that. It's just that Fallout and Fallout 2 really managed to capture the world and the aesthetics, and they managed to do it extremely well.

My suggestion is actually something like New Vegas, but maybe for the Wasteland universe, and I bet it wouldn't be as costly as being a partner with Bethesda (potentially). Furthermore, inXile and Obsidian kind of have an unofficial partnership (friendship) not hidden behind heaps of beauracracy and hidden agendas/manipulations for most monetary gain, which, again, could be beneficial(?) in such a collaboration.

Or why not the NEO Scavenger universe, or some other "post-apocalyptic" setting/universe and indie studio looking to branch out their brands and IPs?

So... why the Fallout universe? (Because Bethesda can pay for it? Or because Fallout is just a desirable brand on the market?)

Pillars of Eternity II
Uhm, well, hmm.... *looks at profile badges* ... duh? :p

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

I'd jump on a fallout game. But my first choice from the list would be a VTMB successor.

What I'd really like to see is original IP that isn't fantasy. swashbuckling pulp title, or a pulpy retro-future or steampunkish setting would be great.

I wouldn't mind another Arcanum, but I don't think the world is so unique or well-developed that they couldn't just run wild with a new setting.

Another dream game would be something like Mage the Ascenscion, but light on the gonzo elements, that is, not a crazy superhero action flick.

1.: Definitely a Bloodlines sequel! That would be the most awesomest thing in gaming since the WL2, TToN and PoE Kickstarters!

2.: A KotoR sequel! I'm kinda surprised it hasn't more votes, since it's pretty much what every RPG fan was hoping for since KotoR II as far as I can tell.

3.: As was mentioned before, Alpha Protocol definitely needs a successor!

4.: PoE II will happen, and I'm very happy about that!

5.: I really liked NWN2, and thinking about it makes me somewhat nostalgic. I need to play Mask of the Betrayer soon, since everybody seems to absolutely love it and says great things about it. If NWN3 would be kickstarted by Obsidian I'd instaback.

Edited by JoniOdin

Yes to Vampire Masqerade Bloodlines : Easy first pick. Also there isnt much good vampire games around nor in making.

Yes to Pillars of Eternity II : But this time give us choice to play evil / chaotic neutral character with proper dialogs and options that fit that kind of character.

No to Fallout : After playing Fallout 4 for lenghty time. That game is bad copy of FarCry. I dont see Obsidian pulling miracle and turn hollow excuse of a RPG game into proper RPG.

No to KotoR : I am probably only person on earth who thinks Star Wars is boring. Also too much Star Wars games already out.

No to NWN : We have PoE which in my opinion is better, though I miss some very memorable folks from NWN2, Georg, Khelgar, Neeshka... damn they were joy to talk to. There is something about voice acted people in game... please for PoE II... please. :yes:

Never played Dungeon Siege so cant say.

I'd really like to see a historical based isometric crpg that Sawyer's been trying to champion.

Darklands was a really rich setting what with the witches, demons, and praying for the divine intervention of saints.

Along the same lines, a Roman Britannia based game like Nethergate would work. Legionnaires, Druids, magic potions, and Roman gods all in play.

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle