Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The drinking thread

• Please log in to reply
409 replies to this topic

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2736 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've noticed I'm getting sucrose intolerant in my old age, like, I need less and less sweet stuff and stuff too sweet tastes yucky. Meaning I cannot enjoy Hoegaarden no more, too sweet. :(

While I myself have problems with sugar just like yourself, I recall Hoegaarden being pretty tasty the few times I got to drink it.
  • ShadySands likes this

Thingolfin

Thingolfin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 282 posts

I really like red and the occasional white. Been more of a beer drinker, and wine tends to give me headaches more. I can't say I follow certain wine brands yet.

I tend to like cabs.

I should get wine more often though, solely for cooking purposes.

Sauces based on wine can be amazing yeah. I often use white wine when making risotto as well (a dish that incidentally pairs amazing with reds). In general I try to avoid it though as cheap wine is pretty damn expensive here.

As for headaches, I get those too, but only when I don't drink enough water.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3322 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

https://vinepair.com...e-and-headaches

Culprit One – Tannins: 

As we discussed in our tannins post, tannins are naturally occurring compounds that exist inside grape skins, seeds and stems. You experience the effect of tannins any time you drink a wine that creates a drying sensation in your mouth, and for the majority of us, tannins create no headache at all. In fact, tannins are a great antioxidant source.But, if you seem to get headaches from wine more often when you drink red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Malbec, you can do a quick test to see if tannins are the source of your headache trouble. Brew a cup of black tea and let the tea steep for five or ten minutes longer than the package suggests. Black tea is strong in tannins and over-steeping the tea will ensure they are all released into the water. Drink the tea and see if you get a headache. If so, you are susceptible to tannins and avoiding red wines will solve your headache issue.

Culprit Two – Sugar:
Alcohol and sugar are two substances that when combined can create a powerful headache. When your body consumes alcohol or sugar, you need lots of water in order to help process the substances. If you are not well hydrated, your body starts to pull the necessary water it needs from other parts or your body, including your head. As the liquid in your head starts to deplete, a headache forms.To prevent this problem, avoid sweet dessert wines and white wines such as Riesling that are labeled semi-dry or sweet (if you enjoy Riesling but don’t want the sugar headache, make sure the wine is labeled as dry). Also to be avoided are cheaper wines, which tend to have more sugar due to the fact that mass producers add sugar during fermentation in order to boost the alcohol.

Culprit Three – Histamines:
Histamines are chemicals that are released when we have an allergic reaction and can cause symptoms such as a runny nose, dry eyes and a headache. Recent research has found that food and drinks that have been aged, such as dry aged meats and red wines, can cause our body to release histamines and create these allergy-type symptoms. To prevent a histamine headache, simply take a histamine blocker such as Claritin prior to having a glass of red wine.
Let’s repeat: for most of us, the cause of a wine headache is simply drinking too much wine and not enough water. The mythical wine headache cure? It’s simple: the cure for a wine headache is to stop one it before it ever starts. 

Edited by ShadySands, 20 March 2019 - 08:23 AM.

• injurai likes this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah, I have a lot of allergies and have been amply loaded up on gobs of anti-histamines when drinking a class.

Tannins might be a culprit, I mostly only drink herbal teas now. That is also due to them being caffeine free and the diuretic nature of caffeine + the lowkey anxious buzz just means I can't get cozy to normal tea anymore.

Water? Yeah, I drink a lot of water but a little too much salt hear or forgetting to drink for 2 hours there can really **** me up. I don't remember needing this much water as a kid. I don't mean by volume, I mean the constant need to have a water bottle on hand.

bugarup

bugarup

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've noticed I'm getting sucrose intolerant in my old age, like, I need less and less sweet stuff and stuff too sweet tastes yucky. Meaning I cannot enjoy Hoegaarden no more, too sweet. :(

While I myself have problems with sugar just like yourself, I recall Hoegaarden being pretty tasty the few times I got to drink it.

That's exactly why I am sad -- it used to be so tasty for me until it wasn't anymore.  ;( I miss that feeling.

As for wines, the colour red is obviously the culprit of headaches. Never get them from whites, never get them from black tea that I drink by gallons, only red wine, the redder, the acher. Kinda bummer, since I prefer Shiraz to Cabernet or Merlot, but eh. Totally can do without wines whatsoever (bastards also give me heartburn), just lemme at my beers. 

Beers can be used for cooking purposes too -- stouts make for super tasty sauce with beef.  :yes:

• Katphood likes this

Xarlina

Xarlina

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

I like ****tails with gin so much. I`ve already tried "gin-tonic" "Singapore sling" "gin fizz". Maybe someone can advise something else with gin? It would be cool if ****tail will be sweet)

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5934 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

You could try gin and juice (grapefruit juice is the OG choice here but many people go with orange juice).

• ShadySands likes this

Thingolfin

Thingolfin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 282 posts

I had a Portuguese white a couple of days ago called Xisto Cru 2016 by Luis Seabra. Pretty much the best white I've ever had in that class ($30-35). Delicate nose of apples and beeswax. Balanced, fresh, concentrated fruit, minerals, long dry ending with notes of grapefruit. Recommended strongly if you can get a hold of it. The winemaker also makes a damn good Alvarinho. Wasn't as impressed by his red wines.

Going with a Portuguese red today, by Luis Pato. Gonna try to pair it with Entrecote and bearnaise sauce. Generally you want wine with tannins to go along with red meat, but the sauce won't match well with that at all. So I'm gonna go with a wine that supposedly has both the fruit and the acidity to stand on good legs alongside the dish.

The grape is called Baga, one of the most up and coming of the 250ish (!) grape varieties from Portugal.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3322 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

My favorite gin drink is something I like to call the Bombay Sapphire and you don't have to use Bombay Sapphire gin either. Gin and a dry ginger ale and just enough blue curacao to make it the same color as the bottle the drink is named after. Sweet without being cloying and as strong as you want to make it. I generally serve it on the rocks. 

Edited by ShadySands, 22 March 2019 - 11:15 AM.

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3215 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm having some Motörhead rum. The bottle is gorgeous and the rum is actually quite good. I normally like my rum a bit more sweeter and "deeper" in its taste, this is more on the kinda fruity or citrusy side of things, a bit more bright, but it's pretty nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users