The drinking thread

ShadySands

Drinking on a tangent - When you realise you need to come up with something to use up the leftover coconut milk in the fridge.

Throw in some vanilla extract, some almond extract. A dose of maple syrup, scatter some cinnamon, a whole heaping of Cadbury's chocolate, and a dose of spiced rum.

Heat, stir, then drink.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Got day drunk yesterday with my neighbor on "sipping tequila" that he brought back from Mexico. Blerg, this unrefined caveman prefers "shooting tequila". Had to take myself a little nap from 4-6. Remeber kids, dont ever get old. :lol:

The trouble is, once you get used to that smooth, aged tequila from down there it makes drinking the crap shooting tequila served elsewhere taste really, really dire.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Congrats. I was surprised how easy it was and how consistently the results were good from home brewing. It's also really satisfying when it turns out well.

Strangely enough I decided to try my cider from late last/ early this year tonight, and it was really nice. It obviously just needed a few months of being left alone to mature properly. Guess I have a few months of cold weather left to source some bulk apple and pear juice so I can do some more, pressing my own was nice in theory but a real mess for not much reward in practice.

• Like 1

My IPA has definitely gotten stronger after a week in terms of hoppiness. I was going to pull the hops out of the keg, but it fell down to the bottom. Next time I'll know to use a bit of string and tie it off. It's still delicious.

Today we are brewing a Vanilla Oatmeal Stout. It uses a ton of grains that I need to steep, and then it goes into the fermenter for longer than the IPA. For the vanilla, I am making extract by cutting up vanilla beans and soaking them in bourbon for a couple weeks. When I move the beer out of the primary fermenter, I will dump that in. Exciting!

• 1 month later...

Ok, I somehow forgot to post about my amazing Vanilla Oatmeal Stout:

21192278_10210160447592368_7024030904141

It had an ABV of 6.5% and tasted smooth and a bit sweet. I loved every drop of it. But it is gone now, and I just tapped my Orange IPA. We started with the IPA recipe, and then put it in a Carboy with orange zest and meat.

21231319_10210172423931769_6259320000916

It tastes great, but I wish I could compare it to my last IPA. I'll need to save some for that someday.

21765321_10210294985395729_8906596200172

• Like 4

Guinness 'nuff sed.

Were they out of good stouts?

I'm kidding, a bit. But really, there are a ton of different types of Guinness, and depending on which ones and where you are drinking it, you will get a different experience. So more should be said.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/209/

Edited by Hurlshot

Guinness 'nuff sed.

Were they out of good stouts?

I'm kidding, a bit. But really, there are a ton of different types of Guinness, and depending on which ones and where you are drinking it, you will get a different experience. So more should be said.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/209/

Yes, there are many different Guinness brews available, mostly they are brewed to different country's taste buds, eg. Nigeria, traditional African beer is fiercely potent in taste and strength, so a special one is brewed there, likewise India, where their taste buds are burnt to a crisp from hot spiced curry etc. They need a particularly strong tasting brew and so forth. In Ireland there is only one Guinness, though you may get some variants in the more poncey establishments. There is also Murphy's Stout, brewed and immensely popular in the southern part of the republic, particularly Cork, which is lovely :)

• Like 1

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Guinness can burn in hell along with broccoli.I suppose its tolerable when mixed into a Black & Tan. But just barely.

I dare ya to walk into an Irish bar and order a Black and Tan....I double dares ya! :)

FTR Guinness's should be creamy with a sort of slightly dark chocolate-ish bitter after taste. If it tastes bad, you probably had a bad pint, either due to storage or a bad barman, unused to pulling a pint.....or you drink. ... heaven forbid...Bud..Wei..ugh....can't say the full name without throwing up slightly in my mouth :)

Edited by Fiach
  • Like 1

Guinness Draught is notoriously bad in the US.

Yeah? Assuming it's brewed there, it doesn't travel well as an exported product, but again it could be storage or inept barstaff, not judging correctly the mix of cream and stout as they pull the drink, it is a bit of an art.

I once worked in a pub in Dublin, it was so busy, they didn't serve Guinness, as it took so long to pull and serve correctly. Probably the only pub in Ireland that didn't.

Edited by Fiach

I dare ya to walk into an Irish bar and order a Black and Tan....I double dares ya! :)

Why You Should Never Order A Black And Tan In Ireland.

Jeez, now THATS how to hold a grudge! :p

I think I posted about that a while back. When I had a pit stop in Ireland we were told we could order car bombs all we wanted but not black and tans.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I take that you won't accept the dare then? :)

Nah, I'm a lover not a fighter. Right up until someone forces me to be a fighter. :lol: 

I think I posted about that a while back. When I had a pit stop in Ireland we were told we could order car bombs all we wanted but not black and tans.

I remember talking about the "car bombs" but that's a lot more recent. "Black and Tan" as a paramilitary force only existed from 1920-21, so that was like 97 years ago. There probably isn't a living Irish person that was alive during that time. I wonder why the 20-30 somethings are still so upset about it.