The drinking thread

ShadySands

Well Kevin Sorbo disagrees:

;)

Not that I would know anything about bourbon. I only drink beer and very occasionally fruit brandy, and the latter two only in very small amounts. I I've had only a handful of shots in the past 10 years. The last time I got drunk doing shots was... well, let's say, not very pleasant. Not even sure it was fun while it lastet, my recollection of the night is a bit spotty and it involved at least one bottle of extremely disgusting 60% ABV raspberry schnapps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Shots are not my jam as I really like the taste of the stuff I buy.

If you really want to try to find some hard liquor you like then I suggest going to tastings or bars that have offer flights if you can. They don't need to be fancy or anything and you can make it an adventure with friends. Maybe you'll find something you like or maybe you'll find that it isn't for you at all.

And Sorbo, talk about a guy who ruined my high childhood opinion of him.

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 1 month later...

A friend gifted me a bottle of Mitcher's small batch bourbon. Pretty good but probably not the first thing I'd reach for.

Was told about a drink I need to try, the Smokey Coke. It's a whiskey and Coke but with Scotch whiskey. I was told it's best with Lagavulin 16 but still good with just the 8 year. I haven't been about to test that yet since I'm out of both 8 and 16 at the moment and didn't want to sub in another peaty Scotch.

Now that I think about it, I asked for a bottle of 16 year for my birthday and Christmas. It was the only thing I've asked for in at least a decade and I just now realized that I never got it. Sad face.

I need a bit of a pick-me-up after all **** that's happened today, so after work I bought a bottle of Trinidad T.D.L. to drink this evening.

17797354.jpg

Wow, I really didn't expect it to be quite so smooth as it was, that was amazing! :o

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a liter of Four Roses Single Barrel bourbon. I haven't had a drink in weeks. That streak gets ended tonight.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Finally got around to making some smokey cokes. The tastiest and most expensive whiskey and coke I've ever had.

I usually take my bourbon neat or with a large chunk of ice but only if I can drink it before it melts or else I have to keep adding more bourbon so it doesn't get too diluted

Edited by ShadySands

43 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

^Hmm, I may give that a try this weekend. Do you drink it neat...on the rocks...splash of water? I usually dilute my hard liquor a little bit.

Three fingers in a glass with two ice cubes. Don't you DARE dilute Four Roses! Good whiskey has a distinct taste. Four Roses is a rye mash so it has a light and spicy taste. It's very smooth and clean on the back end. Something darker like Knob Creek or Blanton's you might be happy with a splash of soda water or a bit of lemon or lime to even it out. 

Four Roses, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, and Belle Meade are all best enjoyed neat or on ice IMO. Especially the small batch versions. Old Forrester Prohibition Style is also very nice but really hard to find. 

If you are going to make ****tails I'd suggest Makers Mark, Larceny, Bookers, or Eagle Rare. They all use shorter aging so the flavor of the mix blends better. A Maker's Mark whiskey sour is my favorite mixed drink.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I typically drink my whiskey on ice.  Sometimes straight up or with water.  I really don't like mixed drinks all that much.

Anyhow, I moved mead to secondary a couple nights ago.  I typically drink the lees.  Even after five weeks of fermenting, the stuff is still throwing out CO2.  It needs to age, so it's raw, but the blueberry stuff was actually pretty good already.  The stuff will just hammer you.  I changed up my brew method with the fresh blueberries and it worked better for the end product, but it means I get less usable product, which means I end up with a lot more in the lees.

• Like 2

"Not for the sake of much time..."

16 minutes ago, MedicineDan said:

I typically drink my whiskey on ice.  Sometimes straight up or with water.  I really don't like mixed drinks all that much.

Anyhow, I moved mead to secondary a couple nights ago.  I typically drink the lees.  Even after five weeks of fermenting, the stuff is still throwing out CO2.  It needs to age, so it's raw, but the blueberry stuff was actually pretty good already.  The stuff will just hammer you.  I changed up my brew method with the fresh blueberries and it worked better for the end product, but it means I get less usable product, which means I end up with a lot more in the lees.

I tried that last year. I made 15 gallons of it in three five gallon water machine bottles. It... didn't turn out like I expected. 

Thomas Sowell

26 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I tried that last year. I made 15 gallons of it in three five gallon water machine bottles. It... didn't turn out like I expected. 

I don't want to bogart a beautiful drinking thread with recipes and whatnot, but it does take some tweaking.  I would start with beer before moving to mead.  Beer is a lot harder to completely botch than mead.  Also, try a kit.  I've never used one for mead.  I've just tinkered around the edges.  But I've used them for beer and it really helps get a feel for how the process works.

Anyhow, right now it's tea.  Not Long Island Iced Tea.  Just regular ol' English Breakfast.  I have Advanced Pharmacology in a few hours.  Brutal class.  No getting sauced beforehand.

"Not for the sake of much time..."

5 minutes ago, MedicineDan said:

I don't want to bogart a beautiful drinking thread with recipes and whatnot, but it does take some tweaking.  I would start with beer before moving to mead.  Beer is a lot harder to completely botch than mead.  Also, try a kit.  I've never used one for mead.  I've just tinkered around the edges.  But I've used them for beer and it really helps get a feel for how the process works.

Anyhow, right now it's tea.  Not Long Island Iced Tea.  Just regular ol' English Breakfast.  I have Advanced Pharmacology in a few hours.  Brutal class.  No getting sauced beforehand.

The recipie I used is in a linked video a few pages back

On your second point I remember when I was in school. I had a exam in multi-variable equations (matrices) that I was woefully unprepared for. So after I got off work I stopped at this little bar in Kendall called the Oarhouse. The plan was to cram from 4:00 PM until 7:00 PM for my Pre-Calculus II class at 7:30.  Well, that night they had Icehouse Draft for $.75. So one led to another and another. By 7:00 I was sauced and had not studied at all. I stumbled across the street to the MDCC campus, took my test and stumbled back for a night cap. The following week I found I missed only part of one question. Imagine that. 

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

• 1 month later...

Today I engaged in a silent bartering system with the brewery down the street. You put $20 and step away, they put a growler on a counter, and then you take it. It was good, but we drank the whole thing in one night.

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Can anyone recommend a good rye for around 50 bucks? Asking for a friend of a friend

Bulleit Rye is pretty good and pretty accessible. Redemption Rye is also accessible. But with Whiskey I suggest to try a lot of them and find the ones you like, stay on the 30-80 $ range. Anything more than that and its diminishing returns.

Now if you want a good islay try Bowmore 15, now that's my choice for last drink of my life.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

A Serbian friend of mine keeps insisting I have to try rakija some day. When it gets easier to travel again, I'll head down to Melbourne and take her up on that.

(google image)
3 Reasons to visit Niš, a surprising Serbian city in southern Europe

• Hmmm 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

A Serbian friend of mine keeps insisting I have to try rakija some day. When it gets easier to travel again, I'll head down to Melbourne and take her up on that.

(google image)

Insist on getting proper moonshine and drinking it for breakfast for the full Balkan experience. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad sent me an early birthday present:

31mKpEh_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

It's got a warm, slightly sweet taste with an unbelievably smooth finish with almost zero burn. I don't even want to know how much this cost. I'm drinking it with no ice and just the tiniest splash of water.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Iced tea. I haven't left home but once in four weeks. I'm completely out of booze.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

Thomas Sowell