The drinking thread

ShadySands

I tried a six pack of this:

08272013.jpg

It's hard to put in a category. It tastes like a stout but it's not. Too mild to be a brown ale. It's pretty good. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again but I wouldn't refuse if someone offered me one. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 1 month later...

Just received 3 bottles of James T Kirk bourbon

You gotta be kidding me! As a collectors item is definitely all kinds of cool. As a sipping whiskey, well... only aged four years and the distiller is not identified. For $80 that's going to be a no from me. IMO 4 year old bourbon is like taking bread from the oven before it even rises. 

official-star-trek-bourbon-whiskey-is-fi

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I got them for 50 bucks each but even then I doubt I'll ever open one

PS I nearly sprang for the 300 dollar special reserve but my brain kicks in around the 100 dollar mark when it comes to Trek stuff

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

This is the thread that convinced me I would be making a dumb mistake if I really left the forums. :p

Drinking a Luponic Distortion from Firestone. It's not their best. I am also awaiting the release of Fireside Chat by 21st Amendment.

• Like 2

Glad to hear it! On both counts.

Thomas Sowell

I bought myself an early Christmas present:

jefferson_s_reserve_very_old_straight_bo

It's nice. Super smooth with butterscotch notes and a slightly sweet finish. Not too strong, mild burn. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

1cl creme de menthe

2cl creme de cacao

4cl peppermint liqueur

~2.5dl hot chocolate

Or a peppermint patty if you prefer, I'll just call it awesome!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 2 weeks later...

1cl creme de menthe

2cl creme de cacao

4cl peppermint liqueur

~2.5dl hot chocolate

By peppermint liqueur you mean mint-flavoured vodka, not an ethanol-with-syrup thing, right? Would be too sweet, while if it's vodka, I'm definitely trying this some time soon.  :yes:

Anyway, my recent discovery: good old White Russian is also delicious if milk is hot and is just as good for sore throat as traditional hot milk-and-honey, just much, much tastier.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

sorry, i am little bit tipsy:

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1cl creme de menthe

2cl creme de cacao

4cl peppermint liqueur

~2.5dl hot chocolate

By peppermint liqueur you mean mint-flavoured vodka, not an ethanol-with-syrup thing, right? Would be too sweet, while if it's vodka, I'm definitely trying this some time soon.  :yes:

Anyway, my recent discovery: good old White Russian is also delicious if milk is hot and is just as good for sore throat as traditional hot milk-and-honey, just much, much tastier.  :biggrin:

Not really to be honest, I tried both Minttu and liqueur and both work great, if you use the liqueur though you have to cut down on the sugar while making the hot chocolate. :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I used to think Guinness made the best stout in the biz. Turns out I just needed to get out more. But, Guinness is pretty good. And more importantly not hard to get.  

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, I'll be getting myself some homemade liqueur tommorow. I'll share some more info later so you fellas can get an idea of how Iranian liqueur might taste like. ;)

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Making salmon cakes. They don't smell so good when cooking. They taste good though. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Found on e of those little bargain gems in the local bottle store just before the weekend. A red wine that is nornally $20 (Aussie dollars, not US dollars) was on sale for $12, so I figured why not? Unknown to me, but still a 2017 Shiraz (my favourite grape if not vintage). Well, it was definitely as good as any $40 wine I've ever had, so I went back to the store and walked away with another half dozen bottles of this little gem (the name on the label was 'Two Towns', local Aussie stuff) :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I just poured the last glass of Jefferson's Reserve bourbon. It kind of feels like the kind of night one glass won't be enough. I guess it will have to be. The liquor cabinet (the top of my refrigerator) is bare. 

Thomas Sowell

• 1 month later...

Just now realized that I have the ingredients for making a grasshopper.

So, yeah, I'll be having that.

You've heard the expression "Good beer isn't cheap and cheap beer isn't good" right? Well, I got this at Aldi for $5.99 but it probably should have been $2.99:

csm_081915_R_48512_FoldedMountains_PaleA

I'm not sure where Folded Mountain Brewery is... or if there is one. In fact it might just be two dudes in a self storage shed in Topeka KS drinking better beer and pissing in bottles with this label on it. Whichever it is... pass on this one. 

Thomas Sowell

You've heard the expression "Good beer isn't cheap and cheap beer isn't good" right? Well, I got this at Aldi for $5.99 but it probably should have been $2.99:

I'm not sure where Folded Mountain Brewery is... or if there is one. In fact it might just be two dudes in a self storage shed in Topeka KS drinking better beer and pissing in bottles with this label on it. Whichever it is... pass on this one. 

My guess is actually that it is being brewed at a large facility with inexpensive bulk grains and hops. You get a lot of attempts nowadays by large breweries to throw out craft looking beers. 

Let me check....

Brewed by Custom tap brews in New York. Probably some big old brewery that is churning out stuff like this. The guys in the shed probably make better stuff. :p

• Like 1