Shame on you, Obsidian.

Did you take into account Valve's 30% cut, steam sales (I believe it's been on sale a time or 2), etc.? I am unsure how Paradox has been compensated as a publisher since it was kickstarter and all that.

He also counted way too many expansion sales and forgot out of those 750 000, 80 000 are backers.

Baldurs gate and bg2 are still selling copies 14 years after they where released. Pillars won't be that succesful but will continue to sell well over a long period of time. I think my estimates where conservative for the main copy and the expansion. I'm not an expert on such things though but they have sold nearly 600k in only six months.

RPGs usually have a long shelf life.  It's a niche market for sure and  since there isn't a over saturated amount of games out there dedicated RPG fans are willing to pick up an older titles just to get their next RPG fix.

Yeah I no. The baldurs gate enhanced additions are probably selling more titles then the new forgotten realms game sword coast legends. Has anyone played legends? It is a complete joke. I deleted it after playing it for less then 1 hour.

Did you take into account Valve's 30% cut, steam sales (I believe it's been on sale a time or 2), etc.? I am unsure how Paradox has been compensated as a publisher since it was kickstarter and all that.

He also counted way too many expansion sales and forgot out of those 750 000, 80 000 are backers.

Baldurs gate and bg2 are still selling copies 14 years after they where released. Pillars won't be that succesful but will continue to sell well over a long period of time. I think my estimates where conservative for the main copy and the expansion. I'm not an expert on such things though but they have sold nearly 600k in only six months.

RPGs usually have a long shelf life.  It's a niche market for sure and  since there isn't a over saturated amount of games out there dedicated RPG fans are willing to pick up an older titles just to get their next RPG fix.

Yeah I no. The baldurs gate enhanced additions are probably selling more titles then the new forgotten realms game sword coast legends. Has anyone played legends? It is a complete joke. I deleted it after playing it for less then 1 hour.

Nope,  I read the reviews and steam/RPGwatch forums  and stayed cleared of that game.   Neverwinter NIghts 2 and it's expansions were the last great D&D license games I played and enjoyed.

Sword Coast Legends is a decent and fun game. First half is better than the 2nd imo. Not anything spectacular but a fun experience.

Well you are part of the 1%.

No seriously it released as a complete flop, even the games producer came out apologised for the poor quality of it.

And I was being serious about you being part of the 1%. Legends rated on metacritic as one of the worst releases of the year.

Legends was target audience was little kids. It reminded me off games I used to play on my Nintendo when I was six.

Edited by brindle88

Sword Coast Legends is a decent and fun game. First half is better than the 2nd imo. Not anything spectacular but a fun experience.

Well you are part of the 1%.

No seriously it released as a complete flop, even the games producer came out apologised for the poor quality of it.

And I was being serious about you being part of the 1%. Legends rated on metacritic as one of the worst releases of the year.

Legends was target audience was little kids. It reminded me off games I used to play on my Nintendo when I was six.

It was a 6.5-7/10 for me, to put it this way. Maybe because the game was about what I expected it to be. I know many didn't like it but most complains I read was about not being an accurate tranfer (rules-wise) from the pnp to the pc Which I don't mind (I don't believe dnd rules translate good to a videogame). Anyway, yes, not so strong story but fun game overall; again I didn't expect it to be nothing more from the start.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

It was a 6.5-7/10 for me, to put it this way. Maybe because the game was about what I expected it to be. I know many didn't like it but most complains I read was about not being an accurate tranfer (rules-wise) from the pnp to the pc Which I don't mind (I don't believe dnd rules translate good to a videogame). Anyway, yes, not so strong story but fun game overall; again I didn't expect it to be nothing more from the start.

Yup.  From what I read the reason it scored a ton of bad reviews was simply buyers who don't do their homework and went in with inflated or unrealistic expectations.  They thought they were buying Baldur's Gate 3, what they were buying was more like Neverwinter Nights 1.  A par to weak single player story where the majority of the games focus was actually on multiplayer and custom made adventures.

• Like 1

I haven't played it, but to me it looked more like Dark Alliance or Dungeon Siege III, but not as good from what I saw of it.  I like Dark Alliance and DS3 well enough, so if it was good game of that type, I'd play it, but I haven't heard much good about it.

NWN2 with years of patching, all of it's expansions, and modern hardware is very good in my opinion.

Edited by MunoValente

I think this is, at least in part, due to them coming out before digital distribution. I have owned at least three copies of BG2 (possibly four, I can't quite remember). Each time I bought a new one it was because I'd lost or damaged an old one (or in one case it was just too far away and I couldn't be bothered to wait to have it mailed to me). This doesn't happen with games on Steam.

• Like 1

Yup.  From what I read the reason it scored a ton of bad reviews was simply buyers who don't do their homework and went in with inflated or unrealistic expectations.  They thought they were buying Baldur's Gate 3, what they were buying was more like Neverwinter Nights 1.  A par to weak single player story where the majority of the games focus was actually on multiplayer and custom made adventures.

If you are a little kid, a computer game nerd and are entertained by roller skating monkeys you will like sword coast legends

( that is not directed at you btw)

The only intelligent thing a person who "backs" a video game monetarily can do is sit back and hope for the best.

There are two steps which any intelligent person who wants to back a game should take:

a) Think "So, how much money can I shove down the drain without feeling guilty about doing this?"

b) Put this amount of money into kickstarter/indiegogo/whatever project and consider that money effectively lost

I will never understand how can people possibly put such high expectations into a project which has not even been worked on up until the kickstarter/whatever campaign. What I understand even less is how people see "We won't use D'n'D" and still expect D'n'D.

And this here is why I don't back kickstarters, at all. I honestly do not think there is an "intelligent" way to back a video game kickstarter.

It's such a crapshoot, and the lead times are so long, in almost all cases you are better off simply waiting for the game to come out.

Same goes for early access, and even pre-ordering. Increasingly, this is starting to apply to the entirety of v1.x after release too..... 

My money, time, and energy is too valuable to spend on hopes and dreams. I direct it to things that are finished and ready to go right now. This is not a shot at Obsidian specifically, I just dislike the kickstarter model.

I understand that without kickstarter this game probably wouldn't have happened - but that is more for lack of better options than anything else.

• Like 1

I dont disagree necessarily with your views on Kickstarter projects; however, I would add that the smartest thing to do is only donate an amount of money, time, and energy, that you are comfortable losing. The same rules a smart person uses when sitting at a gambling table in Vegas.

• Like 2

It's such a crapshoot, and the lead times are so long, in almost all cases you are better off simply waiting for the game to come out.

You, personally, are always better off just waiting until the finished product comes out. Every. Single. Time. For your person, there's no real benefit to kicstarting a project, to preordering a game, and Early Access titles are only ever worth it when you know for a fact that you'll get enough enjoyment for your money playing the game in the state it's in, not to pay for a promise. Kickstarter is neither a preorder nor is it a certainty - and I'm going to slap anyone who goes "Oh but you need to kickstart it you'll get the game cheape-" *SLAP*

I believe that people approaching KS as a preorder service were precisely the reason for the big wave of disappointment after a lot of projects failed, and my first thought was along the lines of "Told you so." That being said, I like KS. I like the concept of it and I have enough disposable income to not miss 10-20 bucks I throw at a KS project. At any rate, I thank people like you for going out and saying "What are you doing, you're not even buying anything!" because people need to understand that.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

I dont disagree necessarily with your views on Kickstarter projects; however, I would add that the smartest thing to do is only donate an amount of money, time, and energy, that you are comfortable losing. The same rules a smart person uses when sitting at a gambling table in Vegas.

This is a good way to put it.

In my case the amount of money I'm prepared to lose is $0.

Very good advice here. You should almost assume you're not going to see any return on the money you put in, then you can only be pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: as Fenixp points out, it's basically a version of the prisoner's dilemma. For each individual person the optimal strategy (in terms of return on investment) is to invest nothing, but if everyone does that the outcome is worse for all (no game gets made). It requires some proportion of customers to back the Kickstarter for the benefit to extend to non-backers.

Edited by JerekKruger

People should be wise to support the Fig campaign for Psychonauts 2 then, because the lowest bid still grants you a digital version of Psychonauts 1.

Did you just..... Suggest that people should throw more crowd money at doublefine?

*collapses into fits of girlish laughter*

• Like 2

Did you just..... Suggest that people should throw more crowd money at doublefine?

*collapses into fits of girlish laughter*

Why not? For 10$, You get Psychonauts and if Psychonauts 2 turns out well, the warm feeling that you know you helped that game get funded!

Edited by Sannom

Psychonauts over the years has been available at less than $10 many, many times, given it's such an old game. People can contribute to the fig if they want, but it's certainly not any kind of deal for the original game.

• Like 1

Did you just..... Suggest that people should throw more crowd money at doublefine?*collapses into fits of girlish laughter*

Why not? For 10$, You get Psychonauts and if Psychonauts 2 turns out well, the warm feeling that you know you helped that game get funded!

Oh honey......

• Like 1