Shame on you, Obsidian.

I very recently bought this game and what an utter disappointment it turned out to be. The fact that it was rushed and released well before it was ready is an unfortunate trend in the gaming industry. The thing that annoys me to no end is that you've released one expansion already and are currently working on the second, while the original game is still and unfinished, unbalanced, buggy mess. You fooled me once so, shame on me. It won't happen again. I'll never spend another penny on anything that comes out of your studio.

• Like 3

I very recently bought this game and what an utter disappointment it turned out to be. The fact that it was rushed and released well before it was ready is an unfortunate trend in the gaming industry. The thing that annoys me to no end is that you've released one expansion already and are currently working on the second, while the original game is still and unfinished, unbalanced, buggy mess. You fooled me once so, shame on me. It won't happen again. I'll never spend another penny on anything that comes out of your studio.

I'm sorry you had to feel that way. I played PoE right after it got released,enjoyed it immensely and didn't experience any bug of any sort. Suffice it to say that I don't agree with you that the game is 'unfinished', but as far as your own personal user experience goes : pity it had to be so unsatisfactory.

Edited by gogocactus
  • Like 7

I didn't particularly care for the game itself either (for me this had more to do with the mechanics, story and layout), but to call the game an 'unfinished, unbalanced, buggy mess' is more than a bit of hyperbole.

• Like 4

Yeah shame on you obsidian for taking away the 500+ hours of my life that I have spent playing pillars. You all deserve to be hanged in the gallows of raedrics keep.

• Like 3

The game doesn't feel complete to me as well. If the new expansion added no new areas at all, but polished up the great game that wrecked and burned after the animancer trial, i'd actually buy it. The strength of PoE lies in the great job the writers have done on the companions; expanded companion quests and endings would be totally welcome. (also, actually fleshing out the new companions introduced in TWM) Also, more work could be done to  make the existing game feel alive, adding to existing locations, rather than a constant combat oriented approach and dungeon crawling for uniques we don't need; ultimately fighting more boring trash mobs with annoying paralyze/stun skills. Obviously this is all subjective, but i mention it because i agree with the thread opener and Achilles asked for specifics

Also, after the somewhat intersting and original PoE main story, to introduce such a generic and trite "legendary dwarven forge" scenario for TWM, feels like a lowly Tolkien or DnD knock off. In comparison to the main campaign, TWM comes off like petty tacked on questing as filler.

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity is actually filled with various fantasy tropes, the good thing about it is that it takes these tropes and tries to do something fun with them - they did it in the main campaign on many occasions, they did it in White Match as well. If Obsidian wanted to do something entirely original, PoE would not be taking place in a semi-generic fantasy setting with renamed vampires, orcs and halflings.

As for it being "unfinished", well... I played PoE about a month after released and it felt entirely finished. The third act is somewhat rushed, true, but there's nothing substantially wrong about it, it could just do with more content. And now the game is actually a very pleasant experience, altho if you expected a 100% polished experience with no bugs, you should not be purchasing games by Obsidian, seriously. That's not an excuse, that's just how things are and always were with Obsidian.

Also, more work could be done to make the existing game feel alive, adding to existing locations, rather than a constant combat oriented approach and dungeon crawling for uniques we don't need; ultimately fighting more boring trash mobs with annoying paralyze/stun skills. Obviously this is all subjective, but i mention it because i agree with the thread opener and Achilles asked for specifics

Also, after the somewhat intersting and original PoE main story, to introduce such a generic and trite "legendary dwarven forge" scenario for TWM, feels like a lowly Tolkien or DnD knock off. In comparison to the main campaign, TWM comes off like petty tacked on questing as filler.

As opposed to what, exactly? I mean... I love all things Final Fantasy but in essence, every game in that franchise could be described as a petty tacked on questing filler, and if you take away trash mobs then virtually every great RPG ever made becomes garbage.

I can only assume people are comparing this to something like IceWind Dale, but as fun as that game was, it was highly linear. A linear plot and world has no need for trash mobs nor questing filler, but an open world (or variant thereof) really cant exist without 'em.

Perhaps the real problem is the lack of just reward for defeating trash mobs and completing filler.

Edited by Zenbane

Oh my, you certainly come off strong. What made you make an account here and post this rant? I mean, it's not like you're giving a single example? You're bashing the game for being incomplete and buggy now, having bought it "very recently", and that's not really valid critique at this point. You're also confusing the two part expansion with two seperate ones. Furhermore the vanilla game is being improved along side the expansion content, so they havent stopped fixing stuff.

Anyways, let's hope you find more value for your pennies in the future elsewhere then. :)

• Like 2

Oh my, you certainly come off strong. What made you make an account here and post this rant? I mean, it's not like you're giving a single example? You're bashing the game for being incomplete and buggy now, having bought it "very recently", and that's not really valid critique at this point. You're also confusing the two part expansion with two seperate ones. Furhermore the vanilla game is being improved along side the expansion content, so they havent stopped fixing stuff.

Anyways, let's hope you find more value for your pennies in the future elsewhere then. :)

Their selling it as 2 products though, aren't they? Otherwise I'd agree it's 2 parts of a single DLC.

Windows 10 x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB OC1 Windforce x3 | Integrated Audio | 8GB DDR3 RAM | ASUS P6T | Corsair AX760 PSU

The guy is right. Following the game's development sort of prepared me for what to expect at release, but if it wasn't for that, and for the sympathy I have for Obsidian, I would have laughed PoE off in the state it was in at release.

IMO Patch 2.0 and TWM1 demonstrated that the PoE team can produce a great quality RPG experience if given a reasonable timeframe - 6 months if they start with an already functional technology base that they have experience working with. I expect TWM2 to be even better, but the original PoE will not be BGII-good, regardless of how much patching it receives.

Regardless, no one can argue with the numbers, and the numbers say PoE was a huge commercial success.

I'll follow PoE2's development very carefully and I'll form my opinion on whether it's worth buying pretty early, based on a number of specific design choices.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

The guy is right. Following the game's development sort of prepared me for what to expect at release, but if it wasn't for that, and for the sympathy I have for Obsidian, I would have laughed PoE off in the state it was in at release.IMO Patch 2.0 and TWM1 demonstrated that the PoE team can produce a great quality RPG experience if given a reasonable timeframe - 6 months if they start with an already functional technology base that they have experience working with. I expect TWM2 to be even better, but the original PoE will not be BGII-good, regardless of how much patching it receives.Regardless, no one can argue with the numbers, and the numbers say PoE was a huge commercial success.I'll follow PoE2's development very carefully and I'll form my opinion on whether it's worth buying pretty early, based on a number of specific design choices.

I will bet my left testicle that you buy POE2 gairnulf. You trawl these forums like a Japanese whaling vessel, you clearly have a strong interest in pillars and enjoy the game. You wouldn't be here if you weren't interested in it.

• Like 2

I will bet my left testicle that you buy POE2 gairnulf. You trawl these forums like a Japanese whaling vessel, you clearly have a strong interest in pillars and enjoy the game. You wouldn't be here if you weren't interested in it.

I hope you're right and I end up buying it. And if I've spent well over 100 hours playing it, that speaks for itself that it's a good RPG game. When I signed up as a backer though I was expecting something that plays more like an IE game than PoE seems to. Of course how much does it feel like the IE games is impossible to objectively assess, because you're comparing one subjective experience to another subjective experience, for the same person, with these being ten or so years apart. So, it's not unthinkable the problem lies with me entirely, but I still think Obsidian can make a much a better PoE game with the sequel, and they haven't shown their best yet.

• Like 2

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

You fooled me once so, shame on me. It won't happen again. I'll never spend another penny on anything that comes out of your studio.

The guy is right.

I hope you're right and I end up buying it.

Glutton for punishment?

Folks like Xanar exist for pretty much any product and provide a decent balance to consumerism. But if he wasn't going to provide specifics, the least he could have done is provide an entertaining review to read. You know, like that one famous Veet review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2QP56S5P2DEGA

However, people who payed to back this game are at high risk of jumping on the "hate-play bandwagon" as soon as their personal expectations are not met (you know, people who are angry about the game they spent more money on than a normal person, so play it angrily while posting negativity)...

And if I've spent well over 100 hours playing it

When I signed up as a backer though I was expecting...

Having expectations is a great way to set yourself up for failure and disappointment. Replacing them with goals and strategic paths to achieve them is much healthier (and smarter). The biggest problem with these types of expectations is that they are being imposed on another individual; and in the world of software development, meeting expectations of an external entity is an exercise in futility: http://www.qaexamples.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/sdlctrees.jpg

The only intelligent thing a person who "backs" a video game monetarily can do is sit back and hope for the best. If the outcome isn't as you hoped then you should analyze why your judgement was ill-fated and move on to the next venture. Being a video game Backer on Kickstarter is not the same thing as being a Stockholder in a publicly traded company (nor is it like being on the board of directors lol)

• Like 1

The only intelligent thing a person who "backs" a video game monetarily can do is sit back and hope for the best.

There are two steps which any intelligent person who wants to back a game should take:

a) Think "So, how much money can I shove down the drain without feeling guilty about doing this?"

b) Put this amount of money into kickstarter/indiegogo/whatever project and consider that money effectively lost

I will never understand how can people possibly put such high expectations into a project which has not even been worked on up until the kickstarter/whatever campaign. What I understand even less is how people see "We won't use D'n'D" and still expect D'n'D.

• Like 7

Yeah shame on you obsidian for taking away the 500+ hours of my life that I have spent playing pillars. You all deserve to be hanged in the gallows of raedrics keep.

Dude could not agree more lmao.  I have been playing since release and can say its my second favorite game of all time after KotOR.  Has there been bugs absolutely.  But you can play EVERY class to its full potential and I personally after 500 + hours have not encountered game breaking bugs.  That's me personally.  That's what counts for me.  Every class is viable and can kick ass, its stable and doesn't crash (for me) and I personally LOVE the setting.  Late medieval/Early Renaissance  in a completely new world not a used up one with some classic Tolkien races like Dwarfs and Elves.  Also some new cool and unique ones like Godlike and Amaeu  (I never spell it right).

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 4

Have gun will travel.

What I understand even less is how people see "We won't use D'n'D" and still expect D'n'D.

When I read that I was reminded of a certain day in business class (back when I was getting my undergrad degree), where the professor lectured on the importance of never using the word "not" in a sentence. Because in public speaking (eg, Commercial Marketing, Politics) the average person/consumer/citizen will register everything they said except for the word "not."

Example:

1) "I did not sleep with that woman" is registered as "I did sleep with that woman"

2) "I didn't commit fraud" is registered as "I did commit fraud"

Thus, "I will not use DnD rules" is registered as "I will use DnD rules"

• Like 2

Really I think that the game has surpassed at least for me almost every major RPG in the market and those are backed with money from publishers etc.  I think they made a better RPG then Bioware.  Its better then any of Dragon Age games and unlike a lot of people here I was a fan of all of them and like the setting.  Its also better then Mass Effect and I loved those too.  And this was started as a kick starter!  I think they exceeded expectations by MILES.  Its a great game.  I am currently Playing Fallout 4 and I like it too but I am itching for WM Part 2 and another play through lol.  That's imho.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 3

Have gun will travel.