I'd like to start a solo playthrough using a paladin. I haven't really used them too much, so I'd like some advice. I am thinking of using a two-handed greatsword (probably Tidefall), maybe with an arquebus to open encounters with. My stat distribution would look something like:

Str:   18

Con: 10

Dex: 10

Per:  15

Int:   10

Res: 15

Could I dump Int and use it to pump another stat, or would the low Will hurt too much?

Also, I was planning on a Kind Wayfarer Paladin, but I'm unsure as to whether or not the Kind Wayfarer talents restore endurance to the paladin or just their allies.

I was planning a Moon Godlike for race, due to their healing passive, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Any suggestions on armour etc. would be welcome as well.

Cheers

I went with

15 (Living Lands)

For the race I selected Wild Orlan, my first solo pala was Moonlike but he lacked saves for the adra dragon.

I always go for Goldpact because he can get +2 ST by being cruel.

Will could definitely be higher, but you can't have everything.

The starting armour and weapon is really nice for Living lands, in Gilded Vale you might wanna grab the plate on the backer npc quite soon.

If you're interested in a detailed solo playthrough on PotD:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzscMCQ3321tZnhMkVkMjshoDKzyRRf2s

• Like 1

Yeah - it's pretty smart to dump INT (thehe). Since you are alone, nobody other than you will enjoy your auras. 

May I ask why Goldpact and not Bleak Walker? That way you would even get Faith-and-Conviction-bonuses for being cruel. Or is the burn DoT of the Goldpact Knights so good?
I only had Darcozzi Paladini and Bleak Walkers so far and liked the extra corrode damage (together with intense flames) when doing two FoD alphas from arbalest & arquebus to erradicate hostile casters first. But I never did solo with a paladin so maybe you just don't have enough talent-/ability points to spend on that special talents anyway...?

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah - it's pretty smart to dump INT (thehe). Since you are alone, nobody other than you will enjoy your auras. 

May I ask why Goldpact and not Bleak Walker? That way you would even get Faith-and-Conviction-bonuses for being cruel. Or is the burn DoT of the Goldpact Knights so good?

I only had Darcozzi Paladini and Bleak Walkers so far and liked the extra corrode damage (together with intense flames) when doing two FoD alphas from arbalest & arquebus to erradicate hostile casters first. But I never did solo with a paladin so maybe you just don't have enough talent-/ability points to spend on that special talents anyway...?

I just do it for roleplay reasons, so I'm not completely evil and also get the Goldpact dialogues, one specifically makes a hard fight way easier because half the opponents leave before the fight.

As for talent ability points those are quite rare as you already guessed, but at least now with white march you have 2 more to spend.

I recommend max mig/con/res and rest in per (int/dex at 3) until your deflection is maxed. Having high fortitude will allow you to deal more easily with enemies using stuns and other disabling stuff. You can go to Raedric's hold rather fast and get your hands on belt of blunting, gauntlets of accuracy, gloves of manipulation and boots of stability. Besides the obvious  items you should get fast (plate, worn shield, rings of deflection/protection) there are a few random ones which can turn the tide for some encounters - rymrgand mantle,spellward amulet and rotward amulet. 

• Like 1

DEX 3 is a no go for me (these superslow hits just make me throw a tantrum :)). I could do that while retraining at lvl 13 when you get Sacred Immolation and don't need to autoattack any more. But on the other hand - game's basically over then.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

DEX 3 is a no go for me (these superslow hits just make me throw a tantrum :)). I could do that while retraining at lvl 13 when you get Sacred Immolation and don't need to autoattack any more. But on the other hand - game's basically over then.

It's a matter of choice - personally I prefer to swing a little slower and to be stunned/knocked down less often. When a phantom or a xaurip starts chaining stuns you won't be able to swing at all... :)

• Like 2

It's a matter of choice - personally I prefer to swing a little slower and to be stunned/knocked down less often. When a phantom or a xaurip starts chaining stuns you won't be able to swing at all... :)

You have a point there. It's just annoying me if a char is so sluggish. :)

Agree with both of ya.

Have gun will travel.

That's why I always try not to totally dump DEX but have it at 6 or 7 which is 9 or 10 with item = average.

But since 3 = 6 I guess the difference is not huge.

Never forget DEX is also for reflex save.

But if you max PE it doesn't matter.

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to gather as much info on the solodin as I possibly can before trying a PotD-run myself. What abilities are you guys opting for, and at which level do you get what ? :)

There are tons of potentially useful abilities, the ones that come to mind are:

Lay on Hands
Weapon and Shield Style
Flames of Devotion
Zealous Endurance/Focus

Superior Deflection
Deep Faith
Unstoppable
Sworn Enemy
Cautious Attack
Mental Fortress
Righteous Soul

Snake's Reflexes

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Krgds

Anghammarad

Trying to gather as much info on the solodin as I possibly can before trying a PotD-run myself. What abilities are you guys opting for, and at which level do you get what ? :)

There are tons of potentially useful abilities, the ones that come to mind are:

Lay on Hands

Weapon and Shield Style

Flames of Devotion

Zealous Endurance/Focus

Superior Deflection

Deep Faith

Unstoppable

Sworn Enemy

Cautious Attack

Mental Fortress

Righteous Soul

Snake's Reflexes

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Krgds

Anghammarad

Replace Mental Fortress and Unstoppable with Bear's Fortitude and Body Control. Body Control is better because it helps against stuns, paralysis and petrify which are fatal in a solo game since you can't heal/fight. VS other afflictions types you have items or you can use Liberating Exortation to supress them. Mind controlling afflictions aren't a problem because the enemies stop attacking you and fear isn't a problem anymore once you have Righteous Soul. At lvl13+14 you need Sacred Immolation+Scion of Flames which will transform the Endless Paths in a walk in the park. Once you're lv13 you can lower CON to 3 (with +3 from belt, +3 from resting at Caed Nua and+2 from food you'll have plenty of endurance) and increase your INT to 18 to be able to clear big packs of enemies at once.

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1