Project Louisiana? (not Fallout-related)

Infinitron

And let's not forget Tolkien creating the Elvish language for Middle-Earth. There are worse things to nod to in your fantasy setting.

I'm no Tolkien scholar, but wasn't it the sort of the other way around, he was a linguist looking for something use his skills on and came up with settings where he could use those languages?

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And let's not forget Tolkien creating the Elvish language for Middle-Earth. There are worse things to nod to in your fantasy setting.

I'm no Tolkien scholar, but wasn't it the sort of the other way around, he was a linguist looking for something use his skills on and came up with settings where he could use those languages?

Does the order matter? I'm not saying you are wrong, but either way the language was used to augment the novels he wrote. He may have wrote the language first, or started creating middle-earth first. It would have ended the same way, more or less.

Interesting. What is to be gained by creating a fictional language for PoE?

Could be used in dialog:

Greetings, amico/amica

Eccosi, sir

You bazzo!

It would make sense to me. Adds a little something to the setting.

• Like 1

Didn't you play the game? PoE already has a number of fictional languages, including Vailian. Josh appears to be developing it further for the sequel.

Edited by Infinitron

It gives option to use characters that speak foreign language without causing translation problems.

If you use real world languages for foreign languages in fantasy game it can cause problems when game is localized to country that speaks that language. Like for example there is character that speaks German and then you localize your game to Germany, what you do choose for that German speaking character that should be foreign? Using fictional languages remove all this kind localization problems.

Additionally fictional languages can make fictional world feel more real, in same way as maps and other details that helps person to imagine what kind world it is.

• Like 1

Didn't you play the game? PoE already has a number of fictional languages, including Vailian. Josh appears to be developing it further for the sequel.

Nope, never played it.

So how is it used in-game? Lets say I find a moldy tome deep in some forgotten dungeon and I open it to find....that language above. Do you guys really sit there and translate word for word what the language is saying? I cant see myself ever doing that, but I don't get as "immersed" as a lot of others. :shrugz:

I'm confused about the Bloodlines license. Is it now with Paradox/White Wolf, or does Activision still retain it?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'm confused about the Bloodlines license. Is it now with Paradox/White Wolf, or does Activision still retain it?

"Bloodlines" isn't a license. It's just the title of a game, and White Wolf now own the trademark. Activision had the license to publish a Vampire: The Masquerade game in the past, but now they don't.

Edited by Infinitron

White Wolf owns trademarks for Vampire Bloodlines and Vampire the Masquerade in EU and USA. And White Wolf owns copyrights to most materials to Vampire the Masquerade table top game. Paradox owns White Wolf. Activision probably still has right/license to sell Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines game.

Edited by Elerond

So, there shouldn't be any rights issues for White Wolf/Paradox to greenlight a VtM game, correct?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

So, there shouldn't be any rights issues for White Wolf/Paradox to greenlight a VtM game, correct?

Not anymore as Paradox bought license to make World of Darkness computer games back from CPP Games last year.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

There is the possibility of a System Shock or Baldur's Gate situation where the IP holder doesn't own the new generated content for the specific game (which is why Beamdog couldn't alter dialogue and the like from BG- Bioware owns the copyright on that, not WotC/ Hasbro). That would likely only prevent things like returning characters from VtMB though, and is probably not the case anyway.