Project Louisiana? (not Fallout-related)

Infinitron

He can surely be working on two projects. Furthermore, it was Sawyer himself who said very recently that PoE2 will not be happening any time soon. So my take is that they have had discussions about PoE2 but not really started development work on it. Project Louisiana is what Sawyer's group is working on, but it is not PoE2.

He said it was a "ways off". Then we learned about Tyranny, so it makes sense that they'd wait a while before revealing it so as not to hog the spotlight. There's no reason not to start on the sequel right away - Larian went right onto a sequel after finishing up Divinity: Original Sin. It will be quite some time until it's actually released.

Well actually in that interview with MMORPG he specifically said it was time for him to move on to something different, but then added a sequel to PoE would happen at some point but that was a way off. That's the complete context of his answer to that question.

Also keep in mind that it's not just PoE that's come to an end but also AW and the Pathfinder card game. They are large enough of a studio that they can and need to have multiple projects going on at the same time. So it makes sense that they could have three projects ongoing at the same time - Vermont/Tyranny, Louisiana, and Indiana - with the chronologically last one of them, Indiana, being PoE2. So I stand by my projection that we will see another RPG of some sort between Tyranny and PoE2.

*shrug* There is no Project Indiana that I've ever heard of. There is a Josh Sawyer with "Revua" on his Twitter profile and an Orlan on his Instagram.

And he said "we'd like to move on to a new project". That project is Tyranny.

Edited by Infinitron

It took two and half years to make PoE and year to make both parts of WM. So if they moved to do preproduction for PoE2 in December then it release date would be way off, even day when they talk about it publicly if they don't seek crowd sourced (partial) funding for it.

Wondering if there's a plan to develop a Pathfinder based CRPG. Since there is already a relationship with Pathfinder that has been communicated, it doesn't seem like too big a stretch that a CRPG could be coming. If it were to use the engine developed for PoE, it seems like such a project would have a serious jumpstart in its development process over and above what PoE had to contend with.

I could see myself getting excited about something like this.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

He can surely be working on two projects. Furthermore, it was Sawyer himself who said very recently that PoE2 will not be happening any time soon. So my take is that they have had discussions about PoE2 but not really started development work on it. Project Louisiana is what Sawyer's group is working on, but it is not PoE2.

He said it was a "ways off". Then we learned about Tyranny, so it makes sense that they'd wait a while before revealing it so as not to hog the spotlight. There's no reason not to start on the sequel right away - Larian went right onto a sequel after finishing up Divinity: Original Sin. It will be quite some time until it's actually released.

Well actually in that interview with MMORPG he specifically said it was time for him to move on to something different, but then added a sequel to PoE would happen at some point but that was a way off. That's the complete context of his answer to that question.

Also keep in mind that it's not just PoE that's come to an end but also AW and the Pathfinder card game. They are large enough of a studio that they can and need to have multiple projects going on at the same time. So it makes sense that they could have three projects ongoing at the same time - Vermont/Tyranny, Louisiana, and Indiana - with the chronologically last one of them, Indiana, being PoE2. So I stand by my projection that we will see another RPG of some sort between Tyranny and PoE2.

*shrug* There is no Project Indiana that I've ever heard of. There is a Josh Sawyer with "Revua" on his Twitter profile and an Orlan on his Instagram.

He said this:

Josh: Pillars of Eternity is all wrapped up.  It's been a great experience, but we'd like to move on to a new project.  We'd love to make a sequel and have a ton of ideas for ways we can improve on Pillars, but that's a way off.

in mmorpg's interview, then he confirmed he's not involved with tyranny on twitter so "PoE 2's in development" seems to me just wishful thinking for those who wants the sequel right away while the evidence clearly suggests a new project which is not PoE2 nor Tyranny.

I personally don't want PoE 2 right away since next game, Tyranny is very similar type of game, something different; 3D for starters... would be better : d Don't think I can handle 3 games in 2D style in a row. Tho it could just be another new IP in PoE style, like Tyranny sdfgh

He said this:

Josh: Pillars of Eternity is all wrapped up.  It's been a great experience, but we'd like to move on to a new project.  We'd love to make a sequel and have a ton of ideas for ways we can improve on Pillars, but that's a way off.

in mmorpg's interview, then he confirmed he's not involved with tyranny on twitter so "PoE 2's in development" seems to me just wishful thinking for those who wants the sequel right away while the evidence clearly suggests a new project which is not PoE2 nor Tyranny.

I personally don't want PoE 2 right away since next game, Tyranny is very similar type of game, something different; 3D for starters... would be better : d Don't think I can handle 3 games in 2D style in a row. Tho it could just be another new IP in PoE style, like Tyranny sdfgh

It obviously won't be right away because it'll take a couple of years to make, while Tyranny is coming out this year. If they postpone it to make some other game instead, that means a PoE2 in what, four years? Way to lose the momentum on your company's only IP. That wouldn't make any sense. 

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 2

He said this:

Obsidian is releasing at least three games (AW, Pathfinder card game, and Tyranny) before Project Louisiana is coming out, so if they don't crowd source it then you will not hear about it for long time and you will not hear when they start to develop it (Like we didn't hear anything about Tyranny before now that is close to release). 

So I would not put lot of weight for that interview when it comes to is Project Louisiana PoE2 or not.

Wondering if there's a plan to develop a Pathfinder based CRPG. Since there is already a relationship with Pathfinder that has been communicated, it doesn't seem like too big a stretch that a CRPG could be coming. If it were to use the engine developed for PoE, it seems like such a project would have a serious jumpstart in its development process over and above what PoE had to contend with.

I could see myself getting excited about something like this.

My sentiments exactly. They paid good money for the Pathfinder license, and they did say at that time that a crpg would happen at some point. Obsidian folks have also said re. PoE that although it was nice to create a brand new IP that they owned, this took away a lot of time and resources from the game that could have been spent on the content of the game instead. And because of this, they are very open to using existing (licensed) IPs for at least some of their future games where they don't have to develop the world and the lore and the gameplay systems all from scratch.

So my very strong feeling is that between Tyranny and PoE2 there will be a Pathfinder-based RPG, may be billed as a "spiritual successor" to the NwN games complete with the ability to expand the game with new modules down the road.

• Like 2

I really hope they won't make a Pathfinder rpg, I'm kind of full with Obsidian-made fantasy. I would like some sci-fi or real world in there.

Same here, with both PoE and Tyranny I really don't have a tickling need for an another fantasy rpg and since I have no idea what is so special about Pathfinder I'd rather play scifi/real world rpg over it :p

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

I really hope they won't make a Pathfinder rpg, I'm kind of full with Obsidian-made fantasy. I would like some sci-fi or real world in there.

Yeah, I'm pretty bored with medieval fantasy (although Tyranny's bronze age fantasy setting sounds refreshing). I'd much rather see a space fantasy, sci-fi, modern fantasy, or some sort of non-fantasy modern game. Obsidian has shown they can do great things with these settings. KotOR II, Fallout New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, and the Stick of Truth all stand out as amazing games.

http://www.pcgamer.com/brian-fargo-josh-sawyer-and-gordon-walton-on-the-history-and-future-of-rpgs/6/

We have a few ideas for more patch stuff that we want to do, because there’s still some balance things or content tweaks, but otherwise we’re kind of prototyping for things we want to do in the future, just looking at things that we tried doing earlier that we weren’t able to do, technologically, that we think could make for a much richer experience. We’d really like to do a sequel. Obviously we don’t have anything to announce about that, but that’s what we’re kind of looking into. And people are putting out some really cool stuff. So yeah, that’s extremely vague, but there you go.

Edited by Infinitron

• 3 weeks later...

So he's working on a game featuring stick figures?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't really a think a PoE2 would work right now. People need a break of it first.

If they released it today I'd be all over it!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Interesting. What is to be gained by creating a fictional language for PoE?

Dunno what the intent is, but I will say that having unique language in your world can make it feel more real. Not unlike some of the slang from Planescape: Torment did. The use of words like "cutter" and "dusty" made the world feel unique and alien while giving it some hint of authenticity. They used those terms like Hollywood likes to have its Mexican characters to call the white guy "gringo". It's done in many novels as well, and works to varying degrees.

And let's not forget Tolkien creating the Elvish language for Middle-Earth. There are worse things to nod to in your fantasy setting.

• Like 1