What's the current state of high-reoslution text?

I stopped playing a while back and I'm thinking of coming back to finish my campaign and start on the expansion, especially given the Steam sale!

One of the things that was annoying was the text blurriness on high resolution displays. Anything other than 1920x1080 was just not crisp ... I think I spent as much time mucking about technically as playing!

So ... before I bundle up my 2560 monitor to take home from work to play some PoE, will I regret it?

Edited by Hogfather

NGUI (the UI package used for the game) uses bitmap fonts and has a crappy scaling algorithm. I don't think that this issue will ever be fixed for Pillars of Eternity. If they migrate to Unity 5 or Unreal 4, then the problem likely will not appear in the sequel.

• Like 2

Nope, doing so would mean re-writing the entire UI code in Unity 4.6 UI instead of NGUI, and all without access to the Unity GUI editor. Years of work, no one is going to do it.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Yeh that would be epic.

Took a punt and brought the monitor home anyway - while its not perfect the fonts are significantly sharper in the current build for me than launch so I'm kind of chuffed by that. Guess the whining of the > 1920 crowd was listened to.

Kind of amazing that any UI would be written with a raster fonts these days! I only write boring old business software and I know better than that ;)

I guess the limited budget of the kickstarter may have made it a bit of a trade off decision not to go with a vector-based solution. But one of the problems with older games like the BGEE etc is the scaling issues with modern monitors, and the clear and obvious trend from here to 2020 is rapidly increasing pixel counts and densities in consumer displays... anyway trldr; its better than it used to be so I no longer feel like I'm going blind.

Edited by Hogfather

EDIT: nvm.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus