Thanksgiving, the *other* Turkey thread

Cantousent

If I'm around these parts on the holiday, I always start a Thanksgiving thread. Same with Christmas and Easter and whatnot. Usually these turn into short, between one and two page threads that consist largely of folks complaining about the holiday and the thread. However, I'm the eternal optimist, so I can only hope that folks will take this thread in the way I mean it, which is positive. It's good to give thanks. ...Or, if that has too many connotations of Faith and prayer, then I'll emend the prior statement in your case to say it's good to recognize our fortunes. We shouldn't forget the past and the bad things that happened there, but we live right here and now, and it is what I have here and now for which I give thanks.

For me, I'm thankful to have returned over the past two years to better health. I'm thankful that I managed to dig my way out of the massive pit I'd dug for myself. I'm glad to have purpose and to be working my way toward goals in life. I'm happy to have the fortune to live where I live and enjoy the lifestyle I do. I'm thankful for technology that was literally science fiction when I was child that I now carry on my belt every time I leave the house. I'm thankful that I have friends and a good wife and a happy home and two fell beasts (which others call cats) to share my life. I'm even thankful for our own little corner of interwebs heaven, which we call the Obsidian forum. I have a habit of coming and going around this joint, but if I'm here I'll 'offend' every one by wishing them a Happy Christmas also. ...Or, just to make it more secular, I'll call it Xmas. (inside joke there)

• Like 4

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm thankful I'm not dead yet, thankful I've lasted this long and thankful I at least had some rice to eat today.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Usually these [...] consist largely of folks complaining about the holiday

The usual politically correct finger-wagging against Thanksgiving (in the media and elsewhere) was unusually restrained this year. Probably because of this... ;)

CU1VA0DXAAI-O6Z.jpg

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I'd don't give a rat's ass what the holiday stands for, it's the best holiday.  I get 2 paid days off from work, I get to visit my family and stuff myself silly on delicious food, and on top of that it doesn't have any of the stresses associated with X-Mas (shopping for gifts) unless you're one of the dumbasses that goes out Thursday night/Friday morning and partakes in the idiocy that is Black Friday (I sure don't).

Also, it's November 27th and it's 65°F...  In Connecticut!  :w00t: We are 2° from the recorded record high. 

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hey, I'm just glad you enjoyed the holiday.  I actually did.  Went to the outlaws for Thanksgiving dinner and no big bruhaha, drama, or unhappiness.  No smoothing ruffled feathers, soothing hurt feelings, or any other nonsense.  Just got together, ate, visited, and then went home.  This morning, I went to mass and then visited with sick ol' folks.  Man, some of these guys don't get enough visits from family!  Now, I'm home and eating leftover Thanksgiving feast for lunch.  Life. is. Good!

• Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

So black friday have reached here as well. Which is weird, since we don't have Thanksgiving.. But all right since I just saved around 100$ on gifts for Christmas. Of course had we stayed Norse I wouldn't have to buy Christmas present to begin with.

In short damn all of your foreign ways.. ;)

But thanks I guess.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

Hey, everyday is Norse day in English speaking countries.  Ya know?  Thor's day?  Wodin's day?

Obsidian Plays

I abstained from Black Friday, as we aren't doing any big gifts.  We are going to Disneyland in February so I told everyone to keep it simple this year.  Although I am heading out to a brewery to get a freshly made keg later this afternoon.   :biggrin:

Hey, everyday is Norse day in English speaking countries.  Ya know?  Thor's day?  Wodin's day?

Well, except Saturday. :)

Unless you're very Norse and call Saturdays Lördag. :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I abstained from Black Friday, as we aren't doing any big gifts.  We are going to Disneyland in February so I told everyone to keep it simple this year.  Although I am heading out to a brewery to get a freshly made keg later this afternoon.   :biggrin:

We're going to Disney World in February. My oldest son works there and got us free tickets and 60% off our room. Could not pass up the good deal.

• Like 1