And by "bad", I don't mean that you shouldn't do them...

...ok, maybe I do, but not because they are evil or immoral, but because they seem to be really lame. So maybe the title should have been "Drugs are lame". Goddamnit, I probably would have had to explain that too. I'm moving on now.

Could someone please explain how drugs work in this game? One of two things is happening right now: either 1) drugs in this game are awesome and I'm not understanding "the process" or 2) drugs are horribly implemented in this game and no one is using them.

It seems as though some of them are beneficial for ciphers, but the cost/benefit seems way off for any other class (I'm looking at you, Zahua).

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Achilles - Not necessarily. Not everything in the game has to be powerful; drugs exist in Eora and they have an effect but that doesn't mean every character should use them to gain an edge.

That said, some more exploration of the theme would be good in a sequel (not as a main plot hook.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Look what you've done: https://instagram.com/p/-eFI8dJxzt/

Also, LOL.

Also: Whoa, they're really listening to what we say! :)

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Ok, after watching this disturbing vid I'm also voting for a buff.  :blink:

Wait, the junkie is the weakest of all the "hero's" opponents, he basically only fights him in his mind, while in reality he is to busy spazzing out on the floor. ;P

So, I did what I usually do when something confuses me: I tried to make it fit in Excel. Here's what I've got so far.

1. Combine Whiteleaf and Goldrot Chew for +6 Will for 10 minutes (mellow high with no crash).

2. Combine Blasconn and Snowcap for +2 Focus on Hit and +10 Will for 10 minutes. -4 Might, -2 Intellect, and 50 fatigue for 5 minutes on the way down. Crash is not worth the high, unless you're a cipher without access to Carow Golan.

3. Combine Blasconn and Svef for +4 Will and +10 max Endurance for 10 minutes. -4 Resolve, -2 Might, and 50 fatigue for 5 minutes afterwords. Who needs +4 Will and +10 Endurance this desperately? 

4. Combine 1 and 3 for +10 Will and +10 max Endurance for 10 minutes. -4 Resolve, -2 Might, and 50 fatigue for 5 minutes is the price you pay for this *four drug* combo (!!!).

5. If you are a damage-focused cipher, you're probably just taking Carow Golan combined with Blasconn for +6 Focus on hit, +2 Perception, +2 Dexterity, and -2 Intellect (small price to pay?). -12 Might and 54 Fatigue for 5 minutes after the fact is brutal, but rest spam amirite? Either of these can be taken alone as well.

6. Still no idea what significant role Ripple Sponge plays.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd wager that the duration is supposed to be the draw. My response to that is: potions and food don't last as long, but they mostly do the same things. What is the incentive that offsets the gamble I'm taking (i.e. If zahua starts dosing at the beginning of a map, what guarantee do I have that he won't fall apart right when I really need him)?

Note: the numbers used above were pulled from the wiki and may not be 100%

EDIT: Had a look and sure enough the wiki had some inaccurate information. I haven't updated the above because the actual drug scenario is even more convoluted with the new details. Will post more later.

Edited by Achilles

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

The cipher drugs that give +x focus per hit are really useful when you do a lot of low dmg hits (Blunderbuss, multi retaliation) or when you have to fight an enemy that has very high deflection and/or DR (dragons). The rest of the drugs is not worth mentioning. If the effects were more extreme maybe...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I honestly never use drugs in this game, they seem completely useless but always give some alcoholic beverages to drink because they have very good effects on some party members from my perspective (excellent duration), much useful than drugs IMO, but for melee fighters mostly and Blasconn for Cipher, so half of my party is effectively drunk most of the time. Funny thing, I don't drink IRL...

Edited by Stoner

• 2 weeks later...