Suggestion: Stronghold upgrades = New NPCs at Stronghold

The Stronghold would seem more alive if each upgrade added one or two NPCs to the stronghold.  

Developing the stronghold would change it from an empty place to one populated by 20 to 30 NPCs. The NPCs would run-away when combat threatens. Some NPCs are only present during daytime hours

Upgrade Examples:

• Library - a librarian is present from morning to early evening
  • Training Grounds - two guards that train are present during the morning hours, in the afternoon they patrol the grounds
  • Hearth - a cook is present during the daytime hours
  • Bright hollow restoration - attracts two servants
  • Chapel - each day 0 to 4 NPC peasant worshippers are present within the Chapel during daytime hours
  • Building 10 improvements - attracts 5 random peasants that wander the grounds during the daytime hours
  • Building 20 improvements - attracts 5 additional peasants that wander the grounds during the daytime hours

If developer resources permit some NPCs could be assigned random conversations, and conversations based on the PCs experiences in the world and quests. The Librarian might reveal new ruins to explore once there are 20 tomes in the library. The cook might have prepared a healing brew.  The Brighthollow maid may alert the PCs to a visitor awaiting them in the Keep. The maid may tell the PCs that the chapel priest wishes to see them; for the priest has a quest for the PCs.

What if the chapel upgrade allows the player to select the deity worshipped at their chapel. This selection could trigger new quests, new events and conversation options. Does the PCs dedicate a chapel to: Woedica, Abydon, Eotha, Galawain, Magran or Skaen?

Edited by EdwinP
  • Like 6

Yes, if you play a priest, you get chapel dedicated to chosen deity (Berath, Magran, Eothas, Wael or Skaen). Nothing changes in temple's look, but you have some nice text on figures around with the chapel priest giving you special greeting when you first arrive there.

Non-priest PC gets chapel dedicated to all the gods.

I guess there will be some quest when patch 3.0 hits, it is called 'clerical errors'. It was posted on Twitter if I remembered well as new adventure list.

Edited by White Phoenix
  • Like 1

Love it. Exactly my thoughts. The stronghold is currently souless. As i just said on another thread, it's like a browser minigame. All your ideas would put some life in it, and would give it some bonds with the rest of the world (even if some of your ideas may require more work than others). There is more to do with it. But this would already be great.

The priest should be able to provide some services, every NPC should have basics dialogues, like every commoner in the game world (at least), the bad visitors should have some conversation options, even basics ones. You should be able to bribe them to leave the keep with dialogues too. Not only by clicking a %¨µµ%¨£ button. While i'm just by his side, i actually need to click the button to send him away!. I can't actually tell him to do so directly. That frustrates me SO MUCH.

Edited by Abel
  • Like 1

I would also personally like to see NPCs from other places at the stronghold depending on your actions, just like in Neverwinter Nights 2.  Perhaps you give certain jailed NPCs a job, or even recruit some special npcs to live in your strong hold if they have no where else to go...

Like the elven girl from the main Dyrford Village quest.

Basically, make the stronghold feel like a small town with a few quests and interesting NPCs.  It doesn't have to be grand or big.  I could settle with something similar to BG2.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's not a bad idea EP. Anything that makes the stronghold feel a little more inhabited would help.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Yeah I'd love to see this. I'm also like to see my recruited guards appear in around the place, especially

the ogre.

The other change I'd like to see is a replacement of random attacks with a few, interesting, stronghold related quests.

Edited by JerekKruger

Personally, I would love a downloadable Mobile App that extends the Stronghold's function to a mini-war game! If I can engage in some battles on my phone while at work, then come home, log in, and cash in the spoils of war for enchantments and legendary items (also needed)... then we have ourselves some good addiction.

Personally, I would love a downloadable Mobile App that extends the Stronghold's function to a mini-war game! If I can engage in some battles on my phone while at work, then come home, log in, and cash in the spoils of war for enchantments and legendary items (also needed)... then we have ourselves some good addiction.

Smart ass! Although I think this is not completely far fetched. Of course, not exactly, but going into mini-game status with the stronghold is probably a natural extension to a lot of folks. I'd rather they don't go completely gonzo on that front personally. Fleshing it out a little is cool, but I don't want it to become one of those frustrating mini-games that insists in drawing me away from the actual game.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If this were to happen I would prefer it done in a way where standard invasions were few and far between, but large scale warfare would be the result of primary campaign activities. Like after I kill that drug lord in Defiance Bay, my phone receives a notification of a drug cartel at the gates. Ten minutes of mobile app battle later... my Paladin has a new shield!

Just incorrigible. :Cant's shaking his head with a bemused grin icon:

Still, taking away the wireless mini game, I think the basic idea of populating the stronghold and fleshing out things like the quests and visitors is a good idea. I think I saw somewhere that Sawyer confirmed a change naming the side quests something a little more substantial than 'average quest.'

...But I guess the wireless idea would be one way to make me finally take the plunge and play a game on my phone. <.<

Obsidian Plays