Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[CLASS BUILD] The Backlash Beldam (melee multiretaliation cipher tank)

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

Hell_Padre

Hell_Padre

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Steam:Mr_Peacemaker

was looking arond for a solo run , i really like that build , gonna try it ty a lot

100kg

100kg

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts

Does Valiant weapon-bonus apply to retaliation? Also, does monks resonant touch work with retaliation?

Edited by 100kg, 25 February 2016 - 12:16 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15255 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Valiant Weapons: no, because retaliation does not use your weapons, it's an autohit pierce attack. 

Resonant Touch: I hope so. I'm just evolving a build around that. But I couldn't try it out yet. But it will be very difficult to reach that 10 damage with it that triggers resonant touch.

What works: MIG, Vulnerable Attack, Ryona's Vambraces, Savage Attack, One Stands Alone and all other melee damage mods like sneak attack and so on. It also triggers Deep Wounds which is kind of awesome. 

• AndreaColombo and Enexemander like this

100kg

100kg

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts

I thought that Deep Wounds is pretty meh... Because damage do not stack and each new strike just reset the timer. Am I wrong?

stratigo

stratigo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 57 posts

is there a sure place to get ryona's vambraces? Or do I just have to get a lucky drop?

Sifjar

Sifjar

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Steam:Sifjar

is there a sure place to get ryona's vambraces? Or do I just have to get a lucky drop?

Aren't those from Ogres Mom chest?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15255 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

No, you can get them if you heal the Alpine Dragon's soul. It's a dialogue option and you need at least 17 RES for that option to unlock. If you can't stack that much RES on your main character then I'm afraid you will have to kill the dragon in order to get those vambraces. :)

Deep Wounds works with every form of crush/perce/slash damage you deal. That includes scrolls and spells from items with Spell Binding. So if you hit the enemy with a spell that has a big AoE and deals one of that damage types they will all get Deep Wounds (like Concussive Missiles or Twin Stones from scrolls or Vile Thorns from Bittercut, Overwhelming Wave from the White Crest and maybe some other items that I can't remember now). If you have high MIG and INT that means +20 raw damage. You can build a really nice rogue/wizard-apprentice that way. You just have to pile up scrolls and items with spells that do either crush or perce or slash damage.

If you apply Deep Wounds more than once ona target the duration just adds. So it's clever to hit one foe after another and don't focus on one enemy. That's easy with a bow or something.  It's also good if you are a superslow hitting rogue - like a tanky kind of rogue. 

Edited by Boeroer, 26 February 2016 - 04:35 AM.

Sifjar

Sifjar

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 88 posts

No, you can get them if you heal the Alpine Dragon's soul. It's a dialogue option and you need at least 17 RES for that option to unlock

Right. Messed up. Played WM only once and quite fast, so do not remember droplist 100% :) 

Btw that option. I remember some lets plays and there ppl were fighting only dragon and his adds. Even if they stand at entrance.

When i was killing that crazy dragon once i start fighting those spirits were spawning right away which made fight quite challenging. 

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15255 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That is if you hit the dragon - he then spawns all the ghosts. At least on PoTD - don't know about other difficulty settings.

Sifjar

Sifjar

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 88 posts

That is if you hit the dragon - he then spawns all the ghosts. At least on PoTD - don't know about other difficulty settings.

I don't know either, because for me there is only 1 difficulty - PoTD :)

Anyway. I saw videos when players were engaging dragon on PoTD and he didn't spawn any ghosts right away, only after he was dead. So i was wondering if it's because of that dialog option i took before to help him out.

Sorry for offtopic :) 

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15255 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

No Idea to be honest - He always spawns them as soon as I hit him.

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1586 posts
I just realized that this build would be quite easy to adapt for a rogue, and should work very well on the Devil of Caroc.

Let's call it "The Devil wears Supa" build.

Edited by Elric Galad, 26 February 2016 - 09:54 AM.

• DreamWayfarer likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15255 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah - it's also good with a barb (with his new raw damage retaliation) and a monk (resonant touch is hard to trigger with retaliation - but rooting pain gets nicely supported by all the retaliation and battle forge hits for absurd numbers - I guess it also profits from Turning Wheel and stuff).

ottffsse

ottffsse

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 124 posts
Did they nerf the deep wounds retaliation combo BTW?

Because although it's not quite the same thing it's similar: I just tested glittering gauntlets on a retaliation build and unfortunately that doesn't work the gauntlets only apply daze on a weapon hit and not retaliation hit.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15255 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Oh that's sad. I hope it works with carnage.

Deep Wounds with retaliation worked in 2.03. Didn't test 3.0 yet.

What also doesn't seem to work is retaliation + Resonant Touch. There are way too few touches building up when I stand in the middle of a mob. Only Rooting Pain seems to work. Don't know yet for sure.

I so hope they don't nerf Deep Wounds in combination with spells. It's the only way to make it really good.

prototype00

prototype00

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
So intrigued by the possibility of a tanker Cipher I made this build. (Normal, I'm afraid, not feeling like going hardcore yet).

Still in the early game but a couple of my thoughts and questions:

1. Early game, before Retaliation items are obtained, is it not better to go double Sabres and play like a rogue? Even single sabre and shield (small) was not generating focus fast enough.

2. I'd kind of like to save my neck slot for something stat boosty, is that a bad idea if I already have the supper plate and the coat of I'll payment?

3. How important is attack speed to this build? With 10 Dex and heavy armour im guessing not very but I thought I'd check.

4. Once retaliation is up how should I be running him in combat? Rush in like a tank? Side engage like a rogue? What Cipher spells should I prioritise? I'm guessing not whispers of treason and paralysis first? (Less Retaliation generation)

Thanks for posting the build, look forward to running it in my game ! :)

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15255 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hi!

1.: Sure, you can do that.

2.: No, that's ok. Potion of Flame Shield will be enough (hope it still generates focus post 2.03).

3.: After you have two retaliations it's not very important. Casting speed is not very fast of course. It helps to have friends who help with concentration and/or RES buffs.

4.: That really depends on your party and type of enemy. Against fast hitting enemies who don't deal a lot of damage per hit it's best to rush in and get grazed a lot. Against Ogres (fewer hits but lots of damage per hit) I wouldn't do that. If you have a paladin with Reinforcing Exhortation and Zealous Endurance or a priest with defelction and DR buffs you can do way more tanking even against nastier foes. The new Psychovampiric Shield is also very good for this build and for tankin. Back in 2.03 it gave you way less deflection. Now it's great and I would say: cast Psychovampiric Shield and then rush in! :)

Basically you want to get grazed as much as possible and at the same time get stack as much DR as possible. That way you will generate a lot of focus while your endurance won't suffer too much. 

Shalva

Shalva

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Hi Boeroer

I have one question about full PoTD run, with WM1 and WM2. In your opinion which playthrough will be easier: PC Backlash Beldam, Kana (Drake's Ambassador), Hiravias (Batsh!t build), Pallegina (Engineer), Aloth (Hurtstacker) and Sagani (Stormcaller) or with your current setup with two Drake's Ambassadors ? 

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15255 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Erm - good question and hard to know. I think it will be equally easy, if not easier. And it's pretty easy as it is so far (ACT III). ;) 

prototype00

prototype00

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Basically you want to get grazed as much as possible and at the same time get stack as much DR as possible. That way you will generate a lot of focus while your endurance won't suffer too much. 

So does that mean I want to be helping the Knights of the Crucible in Defiance bay for their faction perk? (And maybe getting 7 points in Survival for DR +2 might be nice too)? I've heard others poo poo these options, but if every little bit of DR helps...

prototype00

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users