Mouseover tooltips don't work when respeccing a character

PugPug

Question

As you go through your levels after resetting your character at a merchant, mousing over the different terms (Flanked, Deflection, etc.) does not produce the tooltip popup explaining what it is. I do not have this problem when looking at abilities out in the field or during character creation. Only when rerolling.

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

I'm curious because I noticed this too: is it only when re-rolling? It seemed to me that it was a general problem with the level up process. Could be mistaken though.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

My pc runs 1920x1200 but I play Pillars at 2560x1600. 

Tooltips work fine everywhere except when I'm leveling a character.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Hey Aarik,

0.4 sec is incredibly quick and normally the tooltips pop up almost instantly (outside of the leveling screen). I was clicking to show that they didn't work regardless of what you did. I appreciate the spirit of the tip though and hope this second video does a better job of illustrating the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9yvvzynux5j7wd/PillarsOfEternity%202015-11-18%2017-00-31-37.7z?dl=0

This is not related to the tooltip delay setting. Mine is usually 0.4 (the default) and I had this bug too, so I've set it to 0 to see if it was changing anything but it did nothing. No more tooltips. And yes, I know that clicking makes the tooltips disappear. I don't click, just hovering and nothing appear when leaving the cursor on a tooltip word.

I'm playing fullscreen, not borderless windowed. I hesitated to fill a bug about it because for now I've been unable to find what could trigger this, though I'm tracking it since days. Here's what I experienced so far:

• unrelated to combat situation.
  • unrelated to font size setting.
  • applies to all text tooltips inside right-click description windows, be it for spells, skills or items, taken from inventory or toolbar (the tooltips for the icons themself always works). I've been unable to find a manipulation to untrigger the bug here. It's very annoying... closing the description window and opening another one does not do any good to get rid of it. However, I'm quite confident there's a way without restarting the game as over time, the bug seems to be gone... then it come back at some point. I did not identify the trigger yet.
  • happens in character sheet with gray text tooltips (not red ones used for statistics names, though read on) and text tooltips on the left part too (except details under Defenses and Damage Reduction areas). I found a way to almost systematically trigger the bug here: the scroll position of the middle sheet seems to have an influence. It looks like there is a position of the scroll where the bug will trigger if below, untrigger if above (sometimes, it's inversed). When at a position where the bug is triggered, hovering any gray text never show tooltips. It is possible to get rid of the bug at this point by hovering over a red text (like stats, if at least one is visible at this position). This does not only show the tooltip for the stat, but also magically disable the bug for the gray texts tooltips (their tooltip works again) AND somehow change the scroll position which switches the bug state.

The character sheet context does not appear to be in synch with description windows regarding this issue anyway. Simply hovering statistics red texts in character sheet won't necessarily disable the bug for description windows once you close the sheet window.

Hope it helps you to catch it! Fairly detailed mechanics in-game is quite uncommon in RPG world and that's a quality PoE excels at. I almost never have to open and browse Cyclopedia thanks to tooltips (by the way, why not opening Cyclopedia to the related page when clicking on a relevant text?).

Edited by Radamanthe

Hey Guys,

I just loaded up the steam build to make sure this was happening before I enter a bug. I was able to get the mouse hover tooltips to pop up. I would suggest verifying your game cache and see if that resolves the problem. If the issue still continues, I'll submit a bug with the videos you have provided.

Thanks a lot guys!

Hey Aarik,

I verified my game cache a few days ago, at your suggestion, for a different issue. Hasn't been resolved since and existed long before I did that. Please go ahead and submit the bug. If there is any additional information that I can provide, please let me know.

Just wanted to weigh in here that I have the same problem. In my case it has nothing to do with re-rolling. I simply fired up my game (after having not played for a while) and when I started poking around in my character sheet, found the grey text functioned exactly as shown in the video in the post immediately preceding mine.

As one poster noted - if you mouse over the red text then this seems to fix the grey text - it will suddenly start working again.