I have played the Druid in so many other RPG´s that it was quite obvious for me that i will give it a try in Pillars of Eternity too. And i must admit: It´s a lot of fun!

My aim for the solo druid was to push the power of his spellcasting while still being tanky enough to survive the difficulty settings of PotD. Lets take a closer look!

Which Race should i pick?

Moon Godlike is one of the best choices. Thanks to the healing waves you can tank and outlast your opponents much better.
Wood Elf is a good choice for the better ranged accuracy. Also gives you a little defence against ranged enemies.
Boreal Dwarf +15 Bonus vs. Beasts and Primordals can be very helpful
Pale Elf +10 resistance to fire and cold is not to be taken lightly.

Adjusting your Stats

There is no „best build“ in my opinion so you have a little bit of freedom to choose one build that fits your playstyle most. Some examples:

Precision Druid----------Swift Druid----------Defender Druid
Might 15--------------------Might 15--------------Might 15

Con 10----------------------Con 10----------------Con 10

Dex 10----------------------Dex 15-----------------Dex 10

Per 15-----------------------Per 10-----------------Per 10

Int 18------------------------Int 18------------------Int 18

Res 10----------------------Res 10-----------------Res 15

High Might and Int are nearly essential. You will not only hit harder but your spell area will increase significantly. If you remember how many AoE-spells the druid has this one is a real nobrainer. Dex, Per and Res are more about taste. Do you want to cast faster, hit more often or get tankier? Your choice! Con at 10 is all it needs especially if you are playing Moon Godlike.
Personally i prefer the Precision Druid. The reason is quite simple: Unlike Wizards the druid has no spell to boost his accuracy. Missing spells too often can hurt you a lot.

The Beast within: Spirit Form Choice

I think anything will work. Personally i prefer the Catform for its high attack speed so i can clean up badly wounded enemies really quickly. If you want more tankiness choose the Bear. Fun note: The Spirit Form works great against some tougher opponents. Do you remember the infamous Shadows in the beginning? The Catform will kill them easily with a few swift strikes.

Choose your Talents

Weapon + Shield Style / Cautious Attack / Superior Deflection: If you are building tanky like this your deflection will jump over 100 around level 11. Thats not too bad and will save your day more than one time.

Bull's Will /Snake's Reflexes / Bear's Fortitude: These too can be lifesavers. Just take a look which defenses are in need of an upgrade most. The numbers will also jump over 100 around level 11. Sounds good.

Heart of the Storm /Scion of Flames /Secrets of Rime: Giving your elemental spells a better punch (+20%) always looks good. But after the nerfs to some of the druid spells its a good question wether they are worth the point. Personally i still like the talents a lot. Oh, and dont forget the +5 elemental damage reduction bonus.

Bonus Spells: Bonus spells can be quite useful in longer fights where you will need any extra portion of power. Just remember that high Dex Druids will get a little bit more benefit as they can cast their extra spells faster.

Wildstrike / Weapon Focus Peasant / Two Weapon Style: You want to play a bit more like a Shapeshifter? In this case you should take a closer look at these talents as they give nice bonuses to your wild form.

Thinking about Skills

Mechanics should be your primary focus. Opening chests and disarming traps is just too good to pass on. Everything else is quite optional – your choice.

Its all about Equpiment

As a primary weapon i mainly use Hatchet (+5 deflection) + Small Shield (no accuracy penalty). A Hunting Bow like Lenas Er can be quite handy too.

If you have to tank a lot you should definetly use any kind of Plate Armour. If your summons are able to tank all night long than Clothes are the better choice: Faster casts = More Damage. Just be careful.

With regards to all your Accessories. Do not think about them too much. Just make sure to find any stuff that buffs your primary attributes Might and Int. And always take a closer look at items like Ring of Deflection or Ring of Protection to boost your defensive power. Shod-in-Faith-Boots can later on be a lifesaver in tougher battles. Boots of Speed are quite funny if you want to play hit and run (works great against Thaos too).

The power of summons

Thanks to the new immunities your summons are now quite powerful. If you use them smartly they will tank like gods giving you an easy time casting your damage spells. Lets take a look:

Earth Blight: Slashing + Corrode

Flame Blight: Piercing + Fire

Rain Blight: Piercing + Shock

Wind Blight: Crushing + Frost

As you can cast them only in combat its best to start the battle with a heavy CC like Overwhelming Wave. This gives you time to reposition and summon your Blight.

Fun note: Have you ever watched big bad Thaos trying to burn down a Flame Blight? Try it on your own - and laugh! Nerf incoming?

Fun Note II: Looking for some easy xp? Just kill your own blights! You will get experience as if killing hostile ones.

Which Spells are useful?

LEVEL 1

Tanglefoot: Nice engagement tool that can give you time for better positioning and summoning. Worth to remember: If you run away far enough some of the hobbled enemies will cancel their engagement so you can minmize their numbers.

Natures Mark: Fine debuff with -1 Deflection, -10 Reflexes in a large area. Cast it first and watch them suffering!

Sunbeam: Great debuff and burn damage. Blinded enemies will not only miss you more often but they are even easier targets for your own spells.

Charm Beast: A gamechanger. Cast it on beasts and watch them fighting each other! Remember the infamous bear cave at the beginning? Thanks to this spell you can clear it at level 2.

Talons Reach: Deals quite okay AoE Slash Damage and - the best - its fast cast. 

Winterwind: A large cone that will deal frost damage (damn nerf). Works great in corridors with lots of enemies. Fun note: The knockback effect will completly immobilize Blights and Will o Wisps so you can easily kill them.

Natures Vigor: Okay healing over time. This spell will also increase your maximum endurance by 15 %. Can work nicely in longer fights as long as your enemies do not have burst damage.

LEVEL 2

Autumn´s Decay: Great cone spell that will deal corrode damage over time. As corrode damage isnt resisted that often it will hurt most enemies quite a bit.

Blizzard: Large AoE that will deal frost damage and reduce attack speed by 20 %. Works best against large and fast attacking enemy groups.

Burst of Summer Flame: This spell will deal AoE burn damage. Works nice for finishing enemy groups thanks to its fast casting speed.

Conjure Lesser Blight: Great spell – for more info take a look at the „Summons“ section.

Hold Beasts: You are surrounded by a pack of beasts and thinking its over? Dont worry! Cast this spell and watch them freezing. Now you have time to turn the fight around and hurt them badly. Works against dragons too – great!

Insect Swarm: Fine AoE spell that will deal piercing damage over time. Works nicely in combination with Autumn´s Decay. The -10 concentration will make it easier to interrupt your enemies.

Woodskin: Gives you +6 DR against Piercing, Shock and Burn for 15 seconds. Rarely used but quite okay self buff.

LEVEL 3

Beetle Shell: If your summons are desperately in need of a shield this might save them. Absorbs 100 points of damage and gives you time for other healing spells.

Infestation of Maggots: A tricky spell. Will deal 10 Damage by percentage of health lost over time. This means the more wounded your enemies are the more damage they take. Works great against groups that are already suffering from spells like Autum´s Decay and Insect Swarm.

Natures Balm: The healing over time isnt that great but may help you through longer fights. Rarely used.

Returning Storm: Great spell that will deal shock damage and stun. As the lightning will continously strike you may be able to stunlock your opponent.

Spreading Plague: This spell leaves the primary target Hobbled and Weakened before jumping to 5 other enemies max. Nice debuff that will make it easier to hit your following spells.

Twin Stones: The two boulders will deal Crush Damage to any enemy within their path and explode to deal Pierce Damage to all nearby enemies. Quite okay spell against large enemy groups.

LEVEL 4

Boiling Spray: Large Cone that will deal burn damage. Works best against large enemy groups. The knockback will immobilze Blights and Will o Wisps.

Calling the World’s Maw: Great CC spell that will deal Pierce Damage to enemies and will knock them down. Just remember that there are several opponents that cannot be knocked down.

Conjure Blight: For more info take a look at the „Summons“ section.

Hail Storm: This icy storm will deal Crush Damage and 25 % Freeze Damage. The huge (!) radius of this spell can hurt dozens of enemies.

Moonwell: Nice healing over time and +10 to all defenses. Will help greatly in tougher battles – if you get the time casting it.

Overwhelming Wave: Very powerful engagement tool that will not only deal Crush Damage but will stun enemies in its path. Use this time to start your pain train!

LEVEL 5

Embrace the Earth-Talon: Powerful spell that will not only deal Pierce Damage but also petrify enemies. Only downside: The duration isnt that long so you will barely be able to hit your enemies more than one time while being petrified.

Relentless Storm: Hands down this is one of the best spells in the game. An AoE stun that will continuously strike your enemies? Cast this at the start of an engagement and use the stuns to follow up with damage spells. Works best against dangerous groups of spellcasters like Adragans so they will never get the chance to petrify you.

Plague of Insects: This spell is also great as the insects will deal Raw Damage, reduce Concentration and Sicken enemies. Nice followup after Relentless Storm.

Firebug: Deals good amount of burn damage and jumps up to 8 times. Feels weaker than the other spells on this level but is quite okay as a finishing move.

LEVEL 6:

Conjure Greater Blight: For more info take a look at the „Summons“ section.

Garden of Life: The healing is only useful when there are plenty of corpses around. Rarely used.

Rot Skull: Will change your weapon and let you throw skulls that will deal crushing and AoE corrode damage. Sounds cool but i rarely used it.

Sunlance: Good single target piercing + burn damage that works best against tougher opponents in 1vs1 situations.

Venom Bloom: The Weakened and Frightened Debuff is great. Only downside: Its duration is very short.

Remember, Remember

Do not try to burn down a Flame Blight like Thaos! Always take a look at the resistances of your enemies.

Positioning is key. Using bottlenecks like doors can save you from many harm!

Debuff your enemies to make sure you will land your spells more often!

Use your summons for distraction so you get time for your damage spells!

Inns will become your best friends as you will run out of spells quite often!

The more you eat, the more you get. Or: The power of food buffs.

Why i am not using all those traps i have collected?

Edited by Harpagornis
  • Like 6

Worth to remember: Thaos can be beaten quite easily by the druid at the moment!

1. Use the usual beetle split at the beginning.

2. Against Woedica's Headsman (Slash + Burn Damage) the Greater Fire or Earth Blights work best. Use Beetle Shell and healing to keep them alive long enough. Take him down with a combination of Returning Storm + Shapeshifting. Throw in some debuffs to make sure you will hit him more often. If you can land Maggots or Insect Swarm: Great!

3. If not already happened split Thaos and Woedica's Judge with the Shadows.

4. Summon a Wind Blight to tank Woedica's Judge. Its immune to his knockdown and crushing damage. Now its up to you: Hit him with Damage Spells and/or shoot him down with Lenas Er. Yes, this may take a while thanks to his big hiitpoint pool but its super safe.

5. If possible summon a Fire Blight. The only way for Thaos to harm the Blight is to attack it in close combat with his Slash Attacks. Just be careful if he uses his mind controls. Even easier: With Boots of Speed you can kite Thaos all day long while shooting him down with Lenas Er.

6. Job done! Nerf incoming?

Edited by Harpagornis

Hi, I'm pretty new to the game and I'm trying your guide that seems pretty fun to play, but started the game on PoTD difficulty I'm having some problems like:

the bears in the cave just 1 shot me before I can cast the mind control or the evocation, imparements spells seems useless on them, how can I manage to survive them the time necessary to cast 1 control?

the wolves south of valewood same problem, I just use the the small entrance to fight them 1 by 1, but the problem is the big wolf that just does too much damage. I tried to mind control the small ones or him, but the spell doesn't last enough to any of them to die.

Hi, I'm pretty new to the game and I'm trying your guide that seems pretty fun to play, but started the game on PoTD difficulty I'm having some problems like:

the bears in the cave just 1 shot me before I can cast the mind control or the evocation, imparements spells seems useless on them, how can I manage to survive them the time necessary to cast 1 control?

the wolves south of valewood same problem, I just use the the small entrance to fight them 1 by 1, but the problem is the big wolf that just does too much damage. I tried to mind control the small ones or him, but the spell doesn't last enough to any of them to die.

Hello Aghern and thanks for your questions!

The Bearcave:

This is pretty tough at level 2 and chances are high that you wont succeed on your first try. Charm Beast is your best friend here. Aim it so that at least the big Bear gets charmed. He will kill the young ones with one or two hits. If you completly miss the Charm its over. But once he starts attacking the other bears: Run out of vision! If you get lucky the young bears will hurt him quite a bit. It might also happen that one young bear will still follow you while the other fights the big one. Dont worry: Run back far enough and kill him with your Spiritform. If both young ones are dead and only the big one is left you have two options. Engage again or rest (essential if you used the Spiritform special abiliity for the young one). If you sneak up again you can charm the big bear or hit him with a Sunbeam so he gets blinded. Time the engagement so that you can shift right into your Spiritform when he stands nearby. If you get a bit lucky you will kill him with a few hits. Use food buffs!! This battle gets much easier on level 3 because you can also cast Hold Beasts. Moon Godlike is your best friend here thanks to the passive healing.

The Wolves:

Has been a while since i did this on level 2 but if i remember correctly: Use Food Buffs and block the entrance so that you will only get attacked by one wolf. Hurt as many wolfs as possible with your damage spells (Sunbeam -> Talons Reach). Do not kill the young wolf in front of you too quickly so that the big one can attack you. Just make sure the big wolfs takes as much damage as possible. If you run out of spells it gets tricky: If you still have enough life you may consider shooting the big one while the young one is still blocking. Just make sure to safe your Spirt Shift for the big wolf so you can take him down quickly. The enraged Catform works great here. And: Healing potions will be a lifesaver too! But to be honest: If you miss too many spell casts or the wolves can land lucky hits you will loose. Dont get frustrated - you always have the option to come back later again! ;o)

Edited by Harpagornis
  • Like 1

Hello Aghern and thanks for your questions!

The Bearcave:

This is pretty tough at level 2 and chances are high that you wont succeed on your first try. Charm Beast is your best friend here. Aim it so that at least the big Bear gets charmed. He will kill the young ones with one or two hits. If you completly miss the Charm its over. But once he starts attacking the other bears: Run out of vision! If you get lucky the young bears will hurt him quite a bit. It might also happen that one young bear will still follow you while the other fights the big one. Dont worry: Run back far enough and kill him with your Spiritform. If both young ones are dead and only the big one is left you have two options. Engage again or rest (essential if you used the Spiritform special abiliity for the young one). If you sneak up again you can charm the big bear or hit him with a Sunbeam so he gets blinded. Time the engagement so that you can shift right into your Spiritform when he stands nearby. If you get a bit lucky you will kill him with a few hits. Use food buffs!! This battle gets much easier on level 3 because you can also cast Hold Beasts. Moon Godlike is your best friend here thanks to the passive healing.

The Wolves:

Has been a while since i did this on level 2 but if i remember correctly: Use Food Buffs and block the entrance so that you will only get attacked by one wolf. Hurt as many wolfs as possible with your damage spells (Sunbeam -> Talons Reach). Do not kill the young wolf in front of you too quickly so that the big one can attack you. Just make sure the big wolfs takes as much damage as possible. If you run out of spells it gets tricky: If you still have enough life you may consider shooting the big one while the young one is still blocking. Just make sure to safe your Spirt Shift for the big wolf so you can take him down quickly. The enraged Catform works great here. And: Healing potions will be a lifesaver too! But to be honest: If you miss too many spell casts or the wolves can land lucky hits you will loose. Dont get frustrated - you always have the option to come back later again! ;o)

Thank You so much for the explanations. :)

Very nice guide.

I personally feel, that you don't give enough credit to Perception = accuracy.

Might is not only very easy to buff, but also way less important in my opinion.

I soloed with paladin and cipher on PotD before perception even gave accuracy and the cipher is very similar playstyle wise to the druid.

I recently started another paladin and even tho accuracy is way less important for him, than a spellcaster I mamxed accuracy and have might only at 14 (+1 Living lands)

You get +2 Might permanently for 2 questchoices (cruel) and also almost always have food for +2 Might.

Very nice guide.

I personally feel, that you don't give enough credit to Perception = accuracy.

Might is not only very easy to buff, but also way less important in my opinion.

I soloed with paladin and cipher on PotD before perception even gave accuracy and the cipher is very similar playstyle wise to the druid.

I recently started another paladin and even tho accuracy is way less important for him, than a spellcaster I mamxed accuracy and have might only at 14 (+1 Living lands)

You get +2 Might permanently for 2 questchoices (cruel) and also almost always have food for +2 Might.

Thanks for your input Raven Darkholme. I also like perception very much now as it "fixes" one of the druids main problems. So dropping a bit more might for more perception will work fine - no dought about that. In the end its a matter of taste imo. My Perception Druid (with buffs his per is ~20) works fine for me even in the White March Expansion so far.

I have cleared now all Lagufaeth colonies - very challening encounters indeed. Best way to deal for the druid is:

1. Engage with a heavy CC like "Overwhelming Wave" or "Calling the Worlds Maw" so you can splitt pull the groups.

2. Choose a position where they cannot surround you like narrow paths or bridges.

3. Fire Blights will tank - and hurt - them  quite good thanks to piercing immunity.

4. Relentless Storm is your best friend because the fights always run around the question who can stunlock better.

5. Make sure to recast Relentless Storm early enough so that it never runs out even if you get stunned.

6. Throw in some heavy AoE damage spells if you get the opportunity.

7. The minor shield "Aila Braccia" works great in combination with high deflection thanks to the reflection.

8. Items like "Orlan's Bramble Ring" can also help you to resist some of the stuns. Good luck!

Still working on a way to kill the Alpine Dragon - got him once to wounded but then he catched me with his breath. Damn! :geek:

Thanks for the link. I am working on a similar way for the Alpine Dragon but it seems more trickier. Will try it again when i reached level 14. :yes:

Edited by Harpagornis

Okay its done: My druid killed the Alpine Dragon and his friends. What a challenge! The whole battle lasted more than 70 (!) minutes. 70 minutes of constant trembling. Better than watching a horror movie!

Some tips to surive the challenge:

Buff yourself up like there is no tomorrow. The dragon breath will hit you in the beginning so you have to be able to survive some heavy punches. Any kind of cold resistance will be a lifesaver too. Use "Scroll against Fear" to neutralize the dragon aura and stuff like "War Painting" to boost your accuracy.

Use the knockback of „Winterwind“ and „Boiling Spray“ to immobilze the Ice Blights. Its very important that you get the angle of the knockbacks right because your main goal is not to kill the blights but to use them as a blocking wall. Push them as far as possible so that the Alpine Dragon will not be able to reach you with his breath. This part is very (!) tricky and took me dozens of tries. Sometimes you will also be able to immobilize the slimes but its quite random. And: Aim your spells so that they will not hurt the dragon. This means: He will either stand still and wait or just move around. If you are not careful and hit him he will use his breath. Avoid this pain! The best spot for building your anti-dragon-wall is the northern part of the cave. There you also have good chances that the spirits will not engage immediately.

Kill the engaging slimes with spells or Spirit Form. After some pushing it might happen that the spirits will engage – this also seems completly random. Take them down fast – especially the stunners. „Sun Lances“ as well as „Maelstrom Scrolls“ will one or two shot them. After the slimes and spirits are dead its up to you. Is the wall good enough to keep the dragon away far enough or do you need to push them more? Just be careful not to kill the Ice Blights with „Boiling Spray“. Also remember: If you took „Bonus Spell Level 1“ and „Bonus Spell Level 4“ you will have two more knockbacks for your wall.

Once you finished building the wall you can start hitting the dragon. This will be the moment of truth: Will he be able to hit you or can you avoid suffering? I had several walls where i constantly had to run from the left to the right avoiding his breath. In between you may have the time to shoot him with your bow. This can work if you are careful but it will be very painful for your fingers – believe me. It might also happen that the Alpine Dragon – for whatever reason – will get „stuck“ in his position so you can shoot him without the fear of retaliation. I used this golden opportunity to take him down with my „Lenas Er“constantly hitting him for 3 or 4 points of piercing damage (no beast enchant + i forgot about Ring of Searing). The dragon shooting alone nearly took one hour (!) of constant fear. I also tried hitting him with spells but most of them just missed him badly. Once he finally fell to the ground i only had to kill the immobilized Ice Blights – victory!! :dancing:

http://imgur.com/a/zKkQ9

Edited by Harpagornis

I used Combusting Wounds (CW) from the Ring of Searing Flames and shot him with Persistence+Wounding Shot+Penetrating Shot+Ryona's Vambraces (ranger). CW from the ring seems to hit always. Persistence's wounding dot and the wounding shot dot did the most work for me. With a druid (and his powerful dot-spells) it should work even better. If the dragon suffers from Combusting Wounds, his DR ist quite pointless as long as you hit him with a dot spell. He will always get 5 burn damage when the dot effect ticks.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Good point Boeroer! Completly forgot about that ring. Would have been much quicker. LOL!!!

Here is a link with some pictures and descriptions: http://imgur.com/a/zKkQ9

P.S. I tried several spells but most of the time i just missed the dragon. Yes the DoTs are great IF you can land them.

Edited by Harpagornis

The scroll against fear and the +ACC-scrolls as well as paralyze can save the day.

You are absolutely right Boeroer! But as i stated earlier in another thread: I never cared too much about items (yes i am lazy in that aspect). And - hey - it worked even with suboptimal stuff. Strategy > Equipment. No? :biggrin:

• Like 1

Right - you just have to decide if you want to win the fight at lvl 9 or lvl 13. ;)

But I also don't like consumables that much. Same with per rest abilities. Might be a slightly stupid attitude though. :D

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

But I also don't like consumables that much. Same with per rest abilities. Might be a slightly stupid attitude though. :D

Some consumables hold the key to great power in this game ;)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

After completing the Druid-Run on PotD i feeled confident enough for a TCS-Run.

Goal: Well-rounded Druid that can handle (nearly) any situation and heavily abuses the Blight Immunities.

Might 14

Con 10

Dex 10

Per 15

Int 15

Res 14

Cant decide if Dex would be better than Res. As long as the Blights tank Dex is for sure better. But there will be moments where the druid herself has to tank. Any tips on this one?

A detailed Journal about the progress and the tactics used can be found here: http://pastebin.com/HxtjjezF

So far Gaia has just reached level 5 - Caed Nua is waiting. I hope there wont be too many restarts needed. :biggrin:

• Like 1

After completing the Druid-Run on PotD i feeled confident enough for a TCS-Run.

Goal: Well-rounded Druid that can handle (nearly) any situation and heavily abuses the Blight Immunities.

Might 14

Con 10

Dex 10

Per 15

Int 15

Res 14

Cant decide if Dex would be better than Res. As long as the Blights tank Dex is for sure better. But there will be moments where the druid herself has to tank. Any tips on this one?

A detailed Journal about the progress and the tactics used can be found here: http://pastebin.com/HxtjjezF

So far Gaia has just reached level 5 - Caed Nua is waiting. I hope there wont be too many restarts needed. :biggrin:

Good job. :)

After two restarts so far Gaia has now reached Level 7. As i do not have much time for playing the whole run may take a while...

It seems that going from level 3 to level 5 is maybe the most critical phase for the druid. Going from level 5 to 7 was nearly a walk in the park.

Detailed progress can be read here: http://pastebin.com/HxtjjezF

Even tho it get's really easy in Def Bay, these days I don't consider 3-4(5) really hard anymore.

As soon as you know how to handle certain situations, the only restrictions are those you lay on yourslf.:

Do I really want to be level 5 before Caed Nua? (4 works fine), do I really want to kill Raedric as soon as possible or leave him for later and so forth...

Even tho it get's really easy in Def Bay, these days I don't consider 3-4(5) really hard anymore.

As soon as you know how to handle certain situations, the only restrictions are those you lay on yourslf.:

Do I really want to be level 5 before Caed Nua? (4 works fine), do I really want to kill Raedric as soon as possible or leave him for later and so forth...

Thats true. I know all of the encounters from level 3 to 5 pretty well. But sometimes bad luck can happen - missing several attacks or getting poor damage rolls against the bears in the cave for instance. Or - even worse - you start to play careless because you think that you know everyhting. This caused one idiotic death to the bandits in Black Meadow... :biggrin: