Attacks in Paris

Malcador

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-34815972?live_variant=nonjs

Apparently 18 dead confirmed as of now and 60 hostages or so at the Bataclan Concert Hall

Hope any Parisians here are safe.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just what is needed what with all the refugees that need help here. And more fetish fuel for the neo-facists around eu. Great. Like they needed that.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

60 dead now.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wonder if the date was chosen on purpose?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

State of emergency declared. The french borders are now closed.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

One by one of the hostages at the theater are being killed right now according to CNN.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

One by one of the hostages at the theater are being killed right now according to CNN.

Well that is horrific. Cops surely must be storming the place, no?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well that is horrific. Cops surely must be storming the place, no?

GIGN (French SWAT) are storming it now as i type this.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Well that was fast. Apparently the hostage situation in the Bataclan theater has been resolved.

French police have issued a gag-order about Bataclan....I don't like the sound of this.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Well that was fast. Apparently the hostage situation in the Bataclan theater has been resolved.

French police have issued a gag-order about Bataclan....I don't like the sound of this.

Am hearing the assault has just begun

Edited by Malcador

Now it has ended. Dismembered bodies found in the theater. Police apparently caught one terrorist (where? dunno) admitting that he was sent by ISIS.

Oh, and the refugee camp in Calais is on fire.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

hmm expected Paris to be first - poor people

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Welp, #terrorismhasnoreligion is trending on Twitter while the blood of the innocent is still warm on the floor.

**** each and every one of those cretins, i'm done. I'm going to bed.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

European immigration policies are... foolish, inconsistent, insensible, and irrational

Among East Asians, (i.e., Chinese, Koreans and Japanese,) immigration to Europe is widely known as being extremely difficult. I know plenty of East Asians who are high-skilled scientists, engineers, university graduates, (and they are atheists and fairly Westernized,) have tried but were unable to immigrate to Europe. I have met and worked with plenty of them.  The only Asians I know who have successfully immigrated to Europe (including my own sister) were Asian women who married into the countries.

Yet the excessive immigration hurdles faced by East Asians in Europe are not uniformed across all different groups.  Muslims, Arabs and Middle Easterners - who are also called "Asians" in Europe, IMO incorrectly and confusingly so - are welcomed into Europe without much immigration hurdles.  So this is what East Asians think of Europe when the topic comes up in our discussions: Europe does not want high-skilled East Asians who are generally peacefully, do not make troubles, do not adhere to any teaching that encourages its followers to bombs or kills dozens or hundreds of people at a time, do not use sword - or guns and bombs - to spread a homicidal religion.   Instead, Europe wants Muslims who have a religious agenda, want to immigrate but keep their own religious belief that does not mix well with European cultures, and want to convert Europe into Islamic when they have enough masses.

I do not understand what Europe has been thinking, but I think their  immigration policies are f---ed up.

Edited by ktchong
  • Like 1

This is a terrible tragedy, and I hope they take down ISIS hard after this.

But I'm also pretty amazed how quickly you folks turn this into a crusade against Islam.  This had everything to do with a terrorist organization targeting France.  The refugees are trying to get AWAY from these cretins.   

• Like 10

Nice job by Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, US and its western allies for providing loads of cash, weapons and equipment for all anti-Assad elements for a long period of time. But nobody in the public doesn't give a single **** how ISIS was created. 

The world without Saddam, Gadafi and soon Assad is a better world with democracy and freedom of choice. 

RIP to all the innocent people killed today.

Edited by Hildegard

This is a terrible tragedy, and I hope they take down ISIS hard after this.

But I'm also pretty amazed how quickly you folks turn this into a crusade against Islam.  This had everything to do with a terrorist organization targeting France.  The refugees are trying to get AWAY from these cretins.

Second attack by Muslims in France in a year and you're amazed by that ? Hm, ok. But yeah, while this is fodder for people being at the least more suspicious of Muslims in their midst and their being some sort of fifth column or something, isn't based on solid footing. Concern about the refugees being a problem if you let them all in was valid before and is about as valid now - you just don't let every schmuck in.

Not going to be a fun time for refugees, I guess.