Barbarian Companion?

So, info on the White March 2 is still pretty sparse now, right? All we really know is: more stronghold stuff & revised athletics and survival (both good calls btw)

I wonder if they'll be able to fit in one last companion? 

Since barbarian is now officially the only class that doesn't have a pre-made companion, it seems kind of appropriate that the final expansion should introduce one... 

The Lords of Eastern Reach kickstarter revealed that Ystala (human female cipher) would be a companion in part 2. IIRC, they didn't hit the stretch goal to reveal the 2nd one, but the aforementioned Aumaua seems to be a sure thing at this point. Obviously, things are subject to change in dev, but I think they're fairly committed on this one.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Looking forward to a Barb companion myself. I like having a Barb in the team just to handle the relentless trash the game throws at us, but also only use NPC's companions outside of 'weird' party set ups. Be nice to not have to be the Barby myself, and still get that sweet Carnage.

On the downside, I imagine recruiting will be even worse than Zahua and Croc, who right now can't get till midgame at the earliest, and that requires wasting one of the few high level areas in the game. Likely this companion will be hidden even further back, making her end-game only for most of my playthroughs.

The Lords of Eastern Reach kickstarter revealed that Ystala (human female cipher) would be a companion in part 2. IIRC, they didn't hit the stretch goal to reveal the 2nd one, but the aforementioned Aumaua seems to be a sure thing at this point. Obviously, things are subject to change in dev, but I think they're fairly committed on this one.

I can't imagine they'd put in a second cipher without having a barbarian first. LotER is made by a different group of people. Do you have a link on this? It's possible they meant for the companion to be card-game only and the "expansion" in question is a deck expansion. If we could see it in context that might give more insight.

Looking forward to a Barb companion myself. I like having a Barb in the team just to handle the relentless trash the game throws at us, but also only use NPC's companions outside of 'weird' party set ups. Be nice to not have to be the Barby myself, and still get that sweet Carnage.

On the downside, I imagine recruiting will be even worse than Zahua and Croc, who right now can't get till midgame at the earliest, and that requires wasting one of the few high level areas in the game. Likely this companion will be hidden even further back, making her end-game only for most of my playthroughs.

Yeah... I was thinking that too. It would be ridiculous if you have to complete the whole of WM1 before you can get the barb. Hopefully they'll think of a more elegant solution. 

I hope they won't introduce a human female cipher in White March II. Not only do we already have one in Grieving Mother, but four of the ten companions are human. If we are going to get another Cipher, which I doubt, I'd like to see a female wild Orlan. As one of the two more original races in Pillars it'd be nice to see more of them and also since Hiravias is my least favourite companion it'd be nice to have a second Orlan option. They could even be a Glanfathan Brîshalgwin, though I'm not sure if Glanfathan Orlans are hearth or wild.

That said, my guess is the only new character will be a Barbarian and a female Coastal Aumaua seems a likely option (especially given the portrait). Having a Barbarian companion will certainly be cool though, although I share the concerns about them being available only very late in the game.

Not to whine, but why don't they include this kind of information in the email they send us? (and in the official announcements on this site) A new companion is way more interesting than some new Vithrack concept art...

Edited by Heijoushin

^ Not necessarily :p I loved the Vithrack art and I'm a lot more interested in the new challenges we'll face than in a new companion.

They did say, however, that their next update will be about the new companion. I guess there might be a video like they did for Zahua and DoC.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

LoER Update #9

Re-reading in hindsight, it's entirely possible that Ystala being announced with the two WM1 companions (and presumably the unrevealed WM2 companion) is simply a coincidence. Didn't seem like it at the time.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."