We need more sci fi RPGs!

Spectre1

Not feeling the Star Trek RPG vibe. But I'd definitely like to see a mish-mash simulation game combining gameplay elements of Starfleet Conmand, Starfleet Academy, and the 25th Anniversary games.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

do a good star trek rpg strikes us as a difficult (albeit worthy) task. combat, particularly personal combat, were kinda de-emphasized in star trek.  many/most crpgs depend on filler combat with mobs that seems to have little purpose than to provide the player with experience opportunities.  while such stuff is ordinary in a typical crpg, it would seem a bit outta place in Gromnir's idealized star trek rpg.  spend 90% o' a star trek game killing aliens would be peculiar, no? for games that offer alternatives to combat characters, such options is typical providing much less gameplay. ship v. ship combat? is like doing a whole game-within-a-game, yes?  might be better to just skip ship combat?  dunno.

we like the idea o' a star trek crpg 'cause, in our opinion, it would force developers to find gameplay other than combat.

HA! Good Fun!

A well designed RPG doesn't necessarily need to contain combat as a part of its gameplay. In Alpha Protocol, you can get trough the game without killing ... Well, most people anyway and stealth gameplay would actually work fairly well with Star Trek theme as infiltration was used in a decent number of episodes. Similarly, in Sunless Sea, if you dim your ships lights, you can sneak past most encounters on the zee and never get into straight combat. Add Age of Decadence to the mix which allows resolution of most situations trough diplomacy and generally skill checks and you get a fairly alluring combination. It's not that it can't be done, it's that current generation doesn't react very positively to a prospect of "To boldly go where no man has gone before" as opposed to "To boldly shoot what no man has shot before" and a game of that magnitude would require a massive budget.

There's Star Trek Online of course but ... Well, it's Star Trek Online.

there is a reason why we said "many/most crpgs depend on filler combat."

*shrug*

and lord knows we would use aod as an example o' what we are hopeful o' seeing from a hypothetical star trek crpg.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I would be in if it'd be real hard sci-fi and no fantasy sci-fi with magic disguised as high-tech and stuff.

That would be great. I'd love to see a sci-fi cRPG with completely accurate science. Set only within one solar system, characters experiencing physiological problems in certain environments depending on where they were raised. Man, that'd be so good.

I do love me some space magic, too, though. I feel that Mass Effect handled it quite well; say what you will about the ending of ME:3 I thought it was thematically quite good. Numenera is essentially space magic, too, and I can't wait to play that.

But yes, there is a complete lack of solid, hard sci-fi cRPGs.

• Like 1

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

• 1 year later...

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Cyberpunk 2077 is gonna be sick!

Culture video game please! Use of Weapons was badass!

Is there any info yet? That game will be a day 1 purchase for me and I haven't seen/heard anything yet

Beyond the trailer released 4 years ago I haven't really heard anything either.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's interesting how something does very well and kind of corners the market. For instance, people unaware of the history of Wasteland and Fallout called Wasteland 2 a cheap Fallout cash-in. But why aren't Post-Apocalyptic RPGs a thing? (Hell, wasn't one of the taglines of the original Fallout: "THE Post-Apocalyptic RPG").

That also ignores the fact that, despite their common linage, Wasteland is quite a bit different than Fallout. For instance it isn't saddled with the 50s-Retro chic that has been wearing thin since Fallout 2.

I also think the JRPG market may be to blame, since many of their games incorporate elements of both fantasy and science fiction, so playing an RPG without magic seems sort of weird (though, again, look at Fallout).

I'll say it again, hoping that someone will listen; the Lensman books are (or will soon be) in the public domain; it's a great starting point for a series of games, or a fiction franchise (I also think Dark Horse should pick it up to fill the hole in their lineup that happened when they lost Star Wars).

Edited by kensu

1aw3tiY.png

I thought Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be an first person shooter in the vein of Deus Ex but less Rpg element...

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

But why aren't Post-Apocalyptic RPGs a thing? 

Aren't they? There seems to be plenty of them out there. Some go with zombie apocalypse, some with robots taking over the world, etc. Seems to be a pretty common theme.

perhaps obsidian could final get some use outta the paizo deal to develop a crpg.

http://paizo.com/starfinder

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I thought Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be an first person shooter in the vein of Deus Ex but less Rpg element...

*Less* RPG elements than DX?  I'd be surprised if there weren't more.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

*Less* RPG elements than DX?  I'd be surprised if there weren't more.

I also hadn't heard anything like that

Any source?

Free games updated 3/4/21

I totally agree. I'm really excited by Cyberpunk 2077. But I want even more, scifi is a diverse place.

Crpgs don't have their Star Ocean, Phantasy Star, Xenogears, Earthbound or Infinite Space yet.

Japan really taps into a whole sci-fi angle that the western game industry doesn't. Even some of our best sci-fi source novels get ignored. I think it can be done

while still subverting Japanese tropes and taking a western take on similar themes, stylizations, and world lens.

I think I mentioned before loving a sort of Bebop inspired low-scif bounty hunter romp in a Fallout/Pillars style. The closest I've seen us come may be the Terran campaigns in StarCraft.

The west just always seems to make dirty dingy sci-fi horrors, or space jesus stories. How about we get a proper rag tag team fighting against a local conflict, then chronicle all their fun and light hearted exploits? Something like FireFly where the party isn't somehow above their environment and operating on behalf of the largest powers in the universe. Something beyond a sole unlikely victim that must escape their dreaded fate. Something where your party can still live the good life over the course of the game. Where it's more about experiencing this mysterious world, then you shaping it to you whim.

• 2 weeks later...

Starlink by Ubisoft looks phenomenal - if you like space!

Looks a lot like Project Zomboid.

It looks really great. The only sci fi RPG that i i played is Star Ocean and Rogue Galaxy.

Yeah, I can't wait for it! It's about time we get a game like this on pc :)