Just Bought PoE (DVD v1.0) - Game unplayable

Reviven

Question

Just bought the game DVD v1.0. Seemed to install fine through my Steam account. Just played the beginning sequence and the game doesn't allow me to save. Assuming this was the original released version of the game (v1.0), I assumed that Steam downloaded all of the patches available to date. In any event, I have no clue about how to go about getting this game into a playable state....Nothing but frustration...Have played through the introductory scenario twice (6 wagon caravan in the mountains?) and couldn't save a game file. It wouldn't allow me to create a save file name or overwrite the pre-existing name that appears when I activate the save game function.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm running 64-bit windows with 16GB of memory running an AMD quad-core CPU. I installed the game on my E:/ drive (where my Steam account is located) as my C:/ drive is a static ram drive with limited space/memory available.

Can someone help me please?...I just spent $30 for the game...and right now it is totally useless.

I'm hoping that I'm not alone and that others have had a similar experience and have been able to correct it with a patch or a fix of some kind.

Your help would be much appreciated as I would love to immerse myself in this game...but can't even get my toes in the water at this point (:

13 answers to this question

Hello Reviven, 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for joining us! Just to clarify, are you actually plaything though a dvd or you have a steam key? 

If you have the dvd, please use this link to patch your game. http://eternity.obsidian.net/downloads/patches

If you are Steam, then please allow steam to update your game completely. As Gfted1 has said, we are currently on 2.03.0788. If your game is not updating, please close out Steam completely and log back in. 

Thank you for your support!

I purchased a DVD copy of PoE (v1.0) through a retail store, so I updated my version to 2.03 etc. via Steam. I have confirmed that I am running the latest version (2.03). The only problem that I am still experiencing now is that I am not allowed to periodically save the game with a unique name....At the end of the initial sequence i.e. caravan campsite, I click on Menu to do a save and there's already a fixed/uneditable name in the box where I'm supposed to be allowed to enter a name of my choice. The end result is that I can't seem to advance the game any further??!!!....I'm running Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) with 16GB of memory and an 8-core AMD 64-bit CPU (8350). My videocard is an AMD Radeon R7 360 w/2GB GDDR5 memory. Under Windows, I am logged on as "Administrator"...Is there something on Steam that I must do that maybe haven't done to correct the problem that I'm experiencing???

Please HELP as this has become a totally frustrating experience for me. Unless I'm able to correct this with your next suggestion, I will want a complete refund or a credit from Obsidian for $45 applied to the cost of the current Steam version that people now seem to be now running with the problems that I'm experiencing. Steam cost is around $45....I have my store receipt ($29.96 +tax) that I will be happy to provide a pdf copy of as proof if needed.

I shouldn't have to jump through all of these hoops to play your game...When a game is released, it should be functional.

Considering you bought the DVD version, installed it through DVD and patched it through steam, have you tried deinstalling the game and then doing a full install through steam only?

Considering Obsidian have a special website page with patches for the DVD version, it might be that there is a discrepancy between game files of the DVD and steam version causing your problems. It's just a guess though.

Also, you paid 30$ and are asking for a 45$ refund?...

Edited by gogocactus

Hi Evoker,

When I installed the game via the DVD, it automatically installed it via Steam. One of the requirements listed on the DVD package was that a Steam account was mandatory. So, if you're asking if I had the option of simply running the game via my hard drive without having to go through Steam, the answer is "No". The only problem that I now seem to be experiencing is my inability to save the game. (Can you make saves during the initial sequence or must one complete the sequence before the game allows one to save?)...Because when I attempt a save, I click on Menu and then choose "Save" but the box that one is supposed to enter a Save Name (of my choosing?) is already filled with a pre-existing save name that doesn't allow me to edit or change it. I can't get the cursor to blink in that box. It's as if I'm being deliberately prevented from making a save???

As far as the $45 is concerned, that's what Steam charges for the game on their site. If the game will work through their version, I'd be happy to buy it from them...If I had known that I'd experience this frustrating problem in the beginning, that's what I would have done rather than buying a retail box version that simply provided a means to install the game through Steam rather than through my own hard drive. If it's the $45 that bothers you, I'd be willing to pay the difference ($15) if it meant I could play your game. Again, I can email you a PDF of my receipt...I purchased the game at a local Walmart store. It was unopened with its original packaging in tact. (I purchased it on Nov 7.)

I've now spent about 8 to 10 hours trying to find a solution...I was hoping for a quick fix from your tech support group but nothing yet. I really want to enjoy your game -- that's why I purchased it. I'm a longtime lover of RPG games...been playing them for decades and was excited about playing yours given all the great reviews.

Can you help me?...Looking forward to your reply.

Hello Reviven,

Just need some clarification, did the game include a DVD or a steam key?

Could you please upload a dxdiag file and an output log via dropbox so I can take a look at your files? To find those files, please click on the link in my signature.

Have you tried verifying your game cache? In your steam library, right click Pillars of Eternity > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. If that does't work, please uninstall the game and reinstall it. 

Do you have enough memory space on your HDD? Some users who were experiencing the same problem stated that it was due to not having enough memory space and clearing up some allowed them to save again. 

Let me know if any of those fixed your issue.

Thanks!

Hi Aarik,

After looking at the packaging, I may have misinterpreted the instructions....I did get a DVD "and" a Pillars of Eternity STEAM KEY. ...I just assumed that the game can only be played via Steam because one of the requirements listed said that one must have a Steam account (which I already did have)...but after looking at the DVD more closely there was a "NOTICE TO MAC USERS" note that says that the "Game files included on the DVD-ROM are for the PC only and that MAC users would have to obtain the files through Steam using the Steam Key...So, am I to assume that the DVD would enable me to run the game strictly from my hard drive and not through Steam? If so, and with the update files that you referenced earlier, I am hoping that I can simply play your game on my hard drive and not have to access Steam at all...Is this correct?

Looking forward to your answer.

...and thanks.

Mike

Hello Mike,

If you are running from the DVD, then yes, you will be able to launch the game without having to launch Steam. If you click on the DVD patch link I have posted earlier, that will allow you to patch your game to 2.01. 

However, keep in mind that we are currently on 2.03.0788 on Steam and we do not yet have a DVD patch for 2.03. 

Thank you for your support. 

• Like 1

Aarik -- update

When I insert the DVD into my DVD ROM drive, it doesn't give me a choice to simply install the game to my hard drive without involving "Steam" -- defaults to:  E:/Steam

When I originally installed the game about a week or so ago, I wanted it installed on my E:/ drive and not my C:/ drive which is a Static Ram drive with limited space...Again, I ask, how can I install this game without involving "Steam". The options don't seem to allow me that flexibility....arrggh.

Mike/Reviven

Aarik -- I've confirmed. Once again, the installation defaulted to "Steam" -- only allows me to run on Steam. Confirmed that the latest patch was applied but still run into that same issue. When I attempt to save the game while playing through the initial sequence, the game automatically applies the name "tPlaythrough Name" into the box where I am supposed to apply a custom filename to. It doesn't allow me to edit or change the pre-assigned name. Then when I exit, I have to start all over again as though I started the game for the first time i.e. assign a sex, species, class, etc...I'm at a loss as to what to do. The  retail box says "PC / MAC" on the box's cover. The DVD install program doesn't allow me to circumvent the Steam installation. When installed, the game screen when playing through the initial sequence reads version 2.03 etc....Printed on the bottom of my Pillars of Eternity DVD is "40790-DVD v1.0"

I'm at a loss. What do you suggest. I've wasted so much time trying to make this game operational from the purchased DVD product. Any ideas or suggestions? ...It would seem that my only option would be to purchase the Steam version online through their store ($45)...unless you have a current DVD version of the game that hopefully avoids all of the problems that I've reported.

Looking forward to your response.

Mike/Reviven

Aarik -- additional notes: I did agree to the Steam agreement and I did enter the Steam Key when prompted...And it was accepted by Steam...Again, the supplied DVD Rom from the retail package does not give me the freedom to install the game directly to my hard drive. It forces me to use Steam as the platform from which to launch the game.

Mike/Reviven

Hello Mike,

Unfortunately it sounds like the way the game was package is to force you to install the game through Steam. However, it should prompt you on where you would like to install the game as all application do. 

Are you able to uninstall the game and reinstall it through steam without the use of the DVD? That option should allow you to install the game to any directory you would like. Please make sure you deleted the Steam folder in your C: drive after you complete the uninstall.