free plate armor super early

In the first town, Guilded Vale, right side of the catacomb stair is a backer NPC with plate armor,

Pull him 1/2 screen toward the stair, then murder him for the armor :) no reputation lost ^_^

see screenshot.

there's also 2 more NPC in town with plate, but i haven't figure out how to murder them yet w/o having the whole town go angry mob.

post-153081-0-30084000-1447121245_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have to admit that I don't see the upside. The gear you get is sufficient for the task. I mean, I guess if you're playing on the hardest difficulty and on iron man mode you might want to pick off the NPCs, but I would still have to have a legitimate RP reason to murder someone for gear. Now, if I ever played a cold blooded killer I might be willing to murder one of the NPCs, but I never do.

Still, it's good to see folks are enjoying the game and finding phat loot. I'm have to get early plate vicariously through you.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

i did this just now, literally just now; i began  trial of iron/potd/expert mode w/ custom party, so i made sure to go grab the plate from the backer NPC standing near the starway down into the temple.

1) that one i just mentioned is no. 1 loot grab

2) second grab-stab is in the second floor of the black hound inn. The only way to do it right is to enter thru the upper story door, and make sure to pet the dog/animal so that he doesn't render you unable to stealth. cram your character/party/whatever inside the little hallway dead-end the Pet was in, and have someone stealth-shoot/aggro the very first NPC,i.e. one of the npc's talking to the guy in the plate mail. lure them into your dead-end and get to it. if using custom party, no problem, if using eder/aloth spam slicken and and make sure to flank them. at your lvl 1 on potd you could very well lose!

3) but wait, there's more! one of the npc's you just murdered, one of the friends, has a FINE LEATHER ARMOR. i repeat. YOU CAN GET NOT ONLY 2 PLATES WITHIN 10 MINS of arriving at GV, BUT ALSO A FINE LEATHER ARMOR. Oh my lucky stars! freaking won the lottery you just did! plate for your pc and a plate for eder, and a fine leather for aloth if you don't mind him losing the overseeing, and you are ALL SET to embark on your epic journey.

PS: i mention this 4th loot stab-grab because SOME ppl don't know about this one: after u kill the bear go and confront nonton and his wife, and KILL THEM. why? because nonton has a guaranteed drop of +5 deflection ring. 100% guaranteed. never... EEEVEEERRRRR let them live! you'll get nothing. :(

PSSS: finally, to finish up the early game grab-stab FAQ: besides The Disappointer pistol in the tutorial the absolute most earliest pistol you can get is in Mahdmer Bridge. It's carried by the fire godlike standing by the bridge. For whatever reason the other 3 npc's near him never even bat an eyelash whenever i make a beeline for him, so feel free to consider it a gift from sawyer himself. if you hoarded the disappointer and enchanted it now you have 2 pistols for your (probablly) upcoming assault on raedric's keep right before heading to DB.

Edited by aweigh0101

i did this just now, literally just now; i began  trial of iron/potd/expert mode w/ custom party, so i made sure to go grab the plate from the backer NPC standing near the starway down into the temple.

1) that one i just mentioned is no. 1 loot grab

2) second grab-stab is in the second floor of the black hound inn. The only way to do it right is to enter thru the upper story door, and make sure to pet the dog/animal so that he doesn't render you unable to stealth. cram your character/party/whatever inside the little hallway dead-end the Pet was in, and have someone stealth-shoot/aggro the very first NPC,i.e. one of the npc's talking to the guy in the plate mail. lure them into your dead-end and get to it. if using custom party, no problem, if using eder/aloth spam slicken and and make sure to flank them. at your lvl 1 on potd you could very well lose!

3) but wait, there's more! one of the npc's you just murdered, one of the friends, has a FINE LEATHER ARMOR. i repeat. YOU CAN GET NOT ONLY 2 PLATES WITHIN 10 MINS of arriving at GV, BUT ALSO A FINE LEATHER ARMOR. Oh my lucky stars! freaking won the lottery you just did! plate for your pc and a plate for eder, and a fine leather for aloth if you don't mind him losing the overseeing, and you are ALL SET to embark on your epic journey.

PS: i mention this 4th loot stab-grab because SOME ppl don't know about this one: after u kill the bear go and confront nonton and his wife, and KILL THEM. why? because nonton has a guaranteed drop of +5 deflection ring. 100% guaranteed. never... EEEVEEERRRRR let them live! you'll get nothing. :(

PSSS: finally, to finish up the early game grab-stab FAQ: besides The Disappointer pistol in the tutorial the absolute most earliest pistol you can get is in Mahdmer Bridge. It's carried by the fire godlike standing by the bridge. For whatever reason the other 3 npc's near him never even bat an eyelash whenever i make a beeline for him, so feel free to consider it a gift from sawyer himself. if you hoarded the disappointer and enchanted it now you have 2 pistols for your (probablly) upcoming assault on raedric's keep right before heading to DB.

Actually I think you can get the ring by  

telling them to keep their money and use it to start a new life -

could be wrong tho...

• Like 2

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Yeah, if you take the Benevolent option with the couple, you get the Ring of Deflection. Generally the choice I take. I also tend to kill the back npc's for free loot and tidy'n up the town some. The plate mail is really nice, and makes a Act 1 a lot more manageable with just Aloth, Eder, and Durance.

• Like 1

If you reach Defiance Bay, go straight and after the Fox&Houd turn slightly left (the road where you would run into Gordy) to meet backer npc Visceris, a druid. He's pretty tough but drops a stag helmet for +1 Dex and +2 Athletics.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If you reach Defiance Bay, go straight and after the Fox&Houd turn slightly left (the road where you would run into Gordy) to meet backer npc Visceris, a druid. He's pretty tough but drops a stag helmet for +1 Dex and +2 Athletics.

nice find!

As an aside, Visceris is a former regular who died. During the kickstarter, some of the folks around these parts were going to take up a collection to put in a custom NPC for him, but Sawyer said he would do it. Vis could be a jerk, God bless his soul, but he was funny and part of the ol' skool fabric of the place. I remember he was one of the few people who could really make me angry, and I try my best to keep a cool head. lol ...But he was a good ol' troll and he had good heart and I think he was trying to improve his life, lose weight, and be healthier when he died.

He complained bitterly and often about the werewolf fight in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Good Lord he *hated* that fight and it took him a while to overcome that portion of the game. That's the background of his story. So, next time you lure him away to knife him (and I think he himself would have approved of you killing him off for his phat loot) read his story really quick. Doesn't take much time and it's quite the memorial for an Obsidian lifer who's gone.

• Like 6

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

i really like that visceris background. er, not that the man died, may he rest in peace, but that obsidian made his backer NPC extra-special.

he IS tougher to fight than any other backer NPC, and the first time I decided to kill him for his backer-Loot he almost whooped my ass and I loved him for it.

thanks visceris for making PoE even more memorable :)

PS: no wonder his shapeshift form is so strong! LOL