Anyone else just waiting?

I finished the release version, no patches. Now I'm waiting for the second part of expansion before I create another character. I don't have a lot of free time, so I want to play the final version.

Same here. I did apply the early patches as they fixed some fairly serious bugs, but not the later ones which focus more on balance than anything else. I've already paid for the expansion during the Kickstarter, but I'm waiting for the whole thing to come out before I play again.

I'm thoroughly enjoying  everything about this game....

I don't get why some people are annoyed with the fact that obsidian is still improving this product which I already bought, their are a lot of companies that  would not have bothered.

Also I knew what I was buying the moment I bought an obsidian title, they are great writers and storytellers and you always get your money's worth content wise.

But ( no offence  guys) great programmers they are not.

• Like 2

I'm thoroughly enjoying  everything about this game....

I don't get why some people are annoyed with the fact that obsidian is still improving this product which I already bought, their are a lot of companies that  would not have bothered.

Also I knew what I was buying the moment I bought an obsidian title, they are great writers and storytellers and you always get your money's worth content wise.

But ( no offence  guys) great programmers they are not.

Perhaps some people come from that growing mentality of "quick gratification" from mobile App gaming. People wanna load up once, thumb through something fairly painlessly, then say, "that was cool, whats next?" ... before they go download the next thumb war RPG.

Having to take part in the long journey of a multi-patched RPG system is more alluring to the classic style gamers.

• Like 2

I've played the game four times and I'm taking a pause until this issue is fixed. Now that I know it's there, it annoys me too much to roll another character until it's gone.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I've played the game four times and I'm taking a pause until this issue is fixed. Now that I know it's there, it annoys me too much to roll another character until it's gone.

Oh, nice find there. That could be quite annoying lol. At least we are aware so that we can take a different route in the meantime.

Yeah. Definitely waiting for 3.0.

I don't like rushing through games and I certainly don't like the rules changing half way through.

And given how 2.0 apparently broke 2 things for every 3 things fixed, will wait for 3.1 while at it.

Meanwhile, seems like Wasteland 2 is just about ready for me, so that's the next stop.

I'm also still waiting. Haven't got past the prologue and been avoiding spoilers since. I'm not waiting for the expansions though, but for the exp. balancing. It seems very frustrating by the coments, since game launch.

The first playthrough should be memorable. It's the one that allows the most immersion, so it shoudn't be spoiled by lack of polish. The most playthroughs, the more meta the experience becomes (it doesn't mean less fun though, it depends on the style of the player. Personaly, I value immersion more than anything).

I'm also still waiting. Haven't got past the prologue and been avoiding spoilers since. I'm not waiting for the expansions though, but for the exp. balancing. It seems very frustrating by the coments, since game launch.

The first playthrough should be memorable. It's the one that allows the most immersion, so it shoudn't be spoiled by lack of polish. The most playthroughs, the more meta the experience becomes (it doesn't mean less fun though, it depends on the style of the player. Personaly, I value immersion more than anything).

I'm surprised the exp hasn't been addressed yet. You could get to level 8 or 9 in act one alone.

Edited by Kilburn

I'm surprised the exp hasn't been addressed yet. You could get to level 8 or 9 in act one alone.

I remember getting to level 12 way too early on my first play-through, but since then they've reduced the experience gain somewhat and I think it's now reasonable. Sure, if you do every single subquest and optional dungeon before continuing with the story, then you can get to level 8 in Act One... but then you deserve it, right?

I really hate it when the game get easier instead of harder as you progress.

Doesn't that describe pretty much every damned CRPG ever made though?
Thinking about it.. might and magic 6 and 7 stayed pretty consistent. Especially Mm6 was hard all the way through.

Final fantasy 7 had emerald and Ruby weapon. They were tough.

BG2 throne of bhaal acension mod.

But you do have a point.

Edited by Kilburn

Imo To play on potd you should have to scrounge every bit of exp and copper just to survive.

I really hate it when the game get easier instead of harder as you progress. Xcom had the same problem.

I understand the desire for a challenge, but some people actually consider that a positive point in RPGs. You start off as a weakling, but after much hard work, you get to feel like a god. 

I think POTD, 50% exp nerf IEmod and limited to maybe 2 or 3 characters will probably be tough as nails all the way through.

Maybe linear progression exp. Does anyone know if you can still cap out at max level using linear progression?

Probably 3. With 2 or 1 character I think I will just get sluaghtered over and over or I will have to really abuse the mechanics to get anywhere.

You can also make use of some of the existing game modes. Like Trial of Iron. I just restarted again as I pulled an extra group of adragans in Act III :p. It's replaying without replaying. Incidentally, ironman mode is also how I squeezed more replays out of XCOM too.

Speaking of difficulty, how do you guys quantify difficulty anyways?

Edited by mosspit

You can also make use of some of the existing game modes. Like Trial of Iron. I just restarted again as I pulled an extra group of adragans in Act III :p. It's replaying without replaying. Incidentally, ironman mode is also how I squeezed more replays out of XCOM too.

Ironman doesn't make the game more difficult, it just promotes metagaming and makes failure more frustrating. Edited by Rosveen

You can also make use of some of the existing game modes. Like Trial of Iron. I just restarted again as I pulled an extra group of adragans in Act III tongue.png. It's replaying without replaying. Incidentally, ironman mode is also how I squeezed more replays out of XCOM too.

Ironman doesn't make the game more difficult, it just promotes metagaming and makes failure more frustrating.

That's where the question of "how you quantify difficulty" comes about. So what say you?

btw failing a ToI is not necessarily frustrating. It depends on what you are looking for in a playthrough.

It also adds a mega-load of tension. I like it. Not on PotD though, Hard is tense enough for Ironman for my blood... and even then I'd probably not go wake up the dragon before punching it in the snout.

Yup, spot-on with regards to tension.

Edited by mosspit
  • Like 1

Imo To play on potd you should have to scrounge every bit of exp and copper just to survive.

I really hate it when the game get easier instead of harder as you progress. Xcom had the same problem.

If a player is engaging in end-game content and still having to "scrounge" (eg, manual labor) to survive, then either the game needs an overhaul or the player is just a crappy gamer. A quality gaming experience should challenge the player through creative design, not make things harder via resource exhaustion. That's a cheap cop-out.

If a player is engaging in end-game content and still having to "scrounge" (eg, manual labor) to survive, then either the game needs an overhaul or the player is just a crappy gamer. A quality gaming experience should challenge the player through creative design, not make things harder via resource exhaustion. That's a cheap cop-out.

I have no idea what youre trying to say here. None of this really applies to POE. Are you saying that the fact that you can get to level 8 and near unlimited gold in the first act of the game is a good thing?

There is no end game content in this game. This is not WoW. The journey is the destination.

Edited by Kilburn
  • Like 2

I have no idea what you're trying to say about what I'm trying to say, which was a retort against what you tried to say.

Are you saying that a game that doesn't allow unlimited gold to create over-powered characters is a bad thing?

Also, I'm not sure if you are aware of this... but no MMORPG's has an end-game; they are subscription based services that rely on players to keep playing, forever.