Anyone else just waiting?

I feel like this game is changing too much.

I want to enjoy the finished product.

Haven't bought the x pack. I will buy both later once the game has stabilized more.

Or maybe there will be a directors cut or something. Anyone else in the same boat?

• Like 2

This game is impacted very strongly by the player-base due to the fact that it was on Kickstarter. So unlike many other RPG's, this single player game will suffer the same affliction as a multiplayer RPG. Which means that if you think patches that buff/nerf character classes and content will "stabilize" soon then... you should probably consider playing another game.

However, if you accept this fact then you (like myself) can start playing now and realize that this game is thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.

This game aren't stabilizing any time soon.

Care to elaborate?

How long do you think it will take to finish ?

There isn't a sense of the game being "finalized", at least for me. I have the game since launch, and up to the last patch it introduced heavy changes. Some would even say some changes went against the initial design philosophy. Check out AndreaColombo's posts on further patch tease. Those normally includes direct replies/quotes from Josh Sawyer and so far they have been accurate. Things to expect may include:

• Stronghold changes
  • Chanter mechanics change
  • Casters' per-enc system changes

So yeah...

I find that PoE has a lot of replay value. You could enjoy a vanilla game run now, and again when the final expansion comes out?

Also, the vanilla game is pretty solid now. The new patches just tweak around with the balance a little.

Edited by Heijoushin

I find that PoE has a lot of replay value. You could enjoy a vanilla game run now, and again when the final expansion comes out?

Also, the vanilla game is pretty solid now. The new patches just tweak around with the balance a little.

Agreed. When someone asks if they should wait til the game "stabilizes" before playing, it can be compared to asking if they should wait until there are no more cars on the road until they drive.

I've enjoyed the game since it was released, but I haven't played through all of the various patches, as I'm not finding quite the same replay value I did with the Baldur's Gate series. I'm not writing off the possibility, and it may have to do with the fact that I've got a bit more going on in my life than I did in 1998. For the time I spent on it, I can't complain about the price, that's for sure.

I'm at least still interested enough in the game that I read and responded to this thread...  

• Like 1

Agreed. When someone asks if they should wait til the game "stabilizes" before playing, it can be compared to asking if they should wait until there are no more cars on the road until they drive.

That makes no sense. They are working on it. Meaning it will be BETTER and more fun if I wait.

And if I start playing it now I might get bored and I won't want to do another run later.

This game is impacted very strongly by the player-base due to the fact that it was on Kickstarter. So unlike many other RPG's, this single player game will suffer the same affliction as a multiplayer RPG. Which means that if you think patches that buff/nerf character classes and content will "stabilize" soon then... you should probably consider playing another game.

However, if you accept this fact then you (like myself) can start playing now and realize that this game is thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.

They are investing their time into it and trying to make it better. That is not an affliction that is a good thing.

Nerf buff is fine. Broken is broken. Just because BG2 didn't care doesn't mean all other games need to remain broken.

As fun as casting time stop was with a dual class fighter wizard was and slaughtering everything (it did get old quickly even back then). I'm over that. Some balance is welcome.

Edited by Kilburn

I'm waiting until the second expansion drops and then will wait to see what the word is on patching beyond that. I played through the game just after release and wasn't all that impressed with it. Patching has changed it a lot and it's looking to be far different than the release. But I find I'm just not feeling compelled to play through the game again. So I'm waiting, in the hope that when the game has all its content released and the patch cycle is finished or at least winding to a close, I'll start it again and feel more inclined to run through to the end.

@OP: You have included 2 things in your replies: difficulty and fun. Both are subjective with possibly some dependency on each other. You can achieve a good mix of both if you tailor your playthroughs, depending on how you define difficulty and fun.

At the end of the day if you choose OP classes with OP skills, you are still going steamroll through the game.

That makes no sense. They are working on it. Meaning it will be BETTER and more fun if I wait.

And if I start playing it now I might get bored and I won't want to do another run later.

In your case then, perhaps a better analogy would be: should you wait to buy a car until the manufacturer is finished making new models and upgrades? lol

They are investing their time into it and trying to make it better. That is not an affliction that is a good thing.

Nerf buff is fine. Broken is broken. Just because BG2 didn't care doesn't mean all other games need to remain broken.

As fun as casting time stop was with a dual class fighter wizard was and slaughtering everything (it did get old quickly even back then). I'm over that. Some balance is welcome.

PoE is not broken. If you think that you will get bored with the game in its current state, then I seriously doubt any of the upcoming updates will be so drastic as to guarantee boredom will not set in for you.

Whether you wait to play impacts you and you alone. Maybe a better question is... should you wait to post on the game discussion forums until you actually play the game? Probably.

Yah, then again, I have already finished the game twice, which just doesn't happen for 99% of games. I'm actually really excited about replaying Pillars, I'm just restraining myself from doing so right now so that I can get the full experience with all the changes after second expansion and some more patches are out, I highly doubt I'll replay it for the fourth time.

Anyway, I don't mind waiting. My backlog is currently longer than most of my wife's shopping lists.

• Like 1

In your case then, perhaps a better analogy would be: should you wait to buy a car until the manufacturer is finished making new models and upgrades? lol

PoE is not broken. If you think that you will get bored with the game in its current state, then I seriously doubt any of the upcoming updates will be so drastic as to guarantee boredom will not set in for you.

Whether you wait to play impacts you and you alone. Maybe a better question is... should you wait to post on the game discussion forums until you actually play the game? Probably.

Ehhh... I already played for 100 hours. lol. Mostly constantly rerolling characters and testing out abilities. Havnt played in months though.

And I never got very far into the second act. I got to I think level 9 in the endless dungeon underneath the keep in act 1 on path of the damned.

Going into act 2 i felt the difficulty falling off a cliff and I was overleveled. I realized right away that the problem was going to get worse before it got better. Without challenge I dont really feel like playing.

And I see they still havnt fixed the exp problem.

If any developer reads this Can you PLEASE add the option to NERF THE EXP TABLE into the base game so i dont have to fudge around with the EI  mod everytime you patch the game? Thank you.

I like seeing, how the game changes over time. It's like being part of the development process. I don't get just a finished product, I can actually see why certain decisions are made and why some things work and others don't, even if they sounded right at the beginning. They dont just sell a game and say: Eat it! And it's not, that it is in Alpha State or something. It is a finished, playable game, it just gets better over time. So I actually enjoy it.

• Like 2

---

We're all doomed

I've been playing the game fine, but I see there being two major reasons why they keep patching so much.

1.  As others have already mentioned, it being on Kickstarter has caused them to listen to the fans, arguably a bit too much.  I still think they would have carried on fixing things due to point 2 below but it probably would not have been anywhere near as much if they had stuck to their own design vision rather than changing things due to people (not players, I'm talking about back when they were still designing the game systems and the early beta) complaining that X sucked and should be changed (despite never trying it out), which they did and then that caused Y to become unbalanced, so they had to fix that which then caused Z to go hilariously out of kilter and so they had to take that out completely...  Most people don't know what they are talking about, but they know that they want Mages to always be this and Wizards always be that because Change is Horrible apparently and you can't possibly expect people to at least try it out first right?

2.  They are using the opportunity to get feedback on the patching for Pillars 1 in order to sort out the system in time for Pillars 2.  Baldur's Gate is often held up as a classic and awesome game series but that was in no way perfect, even the second one had serious problems, and that was with the use of a pre-existing system (AD&D 2nd Ed.).  Obsidian had to build a system from scratch and I get the feeling they are using Pillars 1 to test out ideas for Pillars 2.  Bioware put out one or two patches for Baldur's Gate 1, but didn't make any big changes until BG2, which resulted in many issues still not being sorted out or sorted out badly, Obsidian may be trying to avoid this or maybe the fact that they own the game system and setting themselves they see the opportunity to build and refine it in ways using something like D&D wouldn't let them.  Is this a good or bad idea?  I have no idea I am not a designer but it is what I think is happening.

Just some thoughts of mine.

• Like 6

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

2.  They are using the opportunity to get feedback on the patching for Pillars 1 in order to sort out the system in time for Pillars 2.  Baldur's Gate is often held up as a classic and awesome game series but that was in no way perfect, even the second one had serious problems, and that was with the use of a pre-existing system (AD&D 2nd Ed.).  Obsidian had to build a system from scratch and I get the feeling they are using Pillars 1 to test out ideas for Pillars 2.  Bioware put out one or two patches for Baldur's Gate 1, but didn't make any big changes until BG2, which resulted in many issues still not being sorted out or sorted out badly, Obsidian may be trying to avoid this or maybe the fact that they own the game system and setting themselves they see the opportunity to build and refine it in ways using something like D&D wouldn't let them.  Is this a good or bad idea?  I have no idea I am not a designer but it is what I think is happening.

More or less what JES said in this podcast: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/82986-josh-sawyer-on-darkstation-podcast/

• Like 1

If finished the game before the expansion was out. Haven't played part 1; I'm waiting for part 2 so I can try the whole pack. If you havn't started the game yet, I believe it is better to wait for both expansion to be released and have a full playthrough.

Having to reload an old save to go back and finish both expansion packs and then get back and re-finish the game is annoying, but I want to see what they've done with the icy stuff :)

Edited by Sedrefilos

More or less what JES said in this podcast: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/82986-josh-sawyer-on-darkstation-podcast/

I should pay more attention to the podcasts, keep forgetting to watch them, and my workplace seems to look down on me watching them there, I know they are strange people.  Will have to make the conscious effort to remember to look for and watch them when I get home and am not trying to get some actual gaming in. :D

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams