[2.03] Vanishing items and unhirable Zahua

SamHam

Question

Hello!
Seems like I've been attacked by quite the aggressive bug as of late. Zahua seems to be extremely buggy when unhiring him and then asking him to rejoin the group. Earlier he couldn't transition between areas properly after rehiring him, as he'd just get stuck as an NPC (which I couldn't even speak with) and his portrait would get stuck, removing other character portraits around his. Reloading to an earlier save worked, but now I don't have an "earlier" save to go to and I am wondering if devs can take a look into this.

Situation now is I left Zahua at the WM inn, fought the dragon, came back to rehire him. Oddly enough he stood by the counter, like a regular NPC. Rehiring him gives two Zahuas on the screen, one NPC and one controllable character, which has absolutely no gear. Saving the game and reloading it then, removes the controllable Zahua leaving me with the NPC one and now I can't even rehire Zahua. It seems that killing the NPC Zahua while having the PC Zahua in the group works out, but killing the NPC Zahua before rehiring him simply removed him from game. Might be worth checking into, as it's quite the bad bug (nevermind the vanishing, unique WM items ;)).
I've also noticed double amount of cloaks dropping in loot. Is this intended or should there only be one of those +12 deflection and invisibility on hit cloaks (one of the two seemed to vanish, too, at some point)?

10 answers to this question

Hello SamHam,

I took a look at your files and I saw that you could have 2 instances of Zahua. Fortunately I was able to transition without losing Zahua once I added him back to the party. I also took a look at your output log and I saw a lot of issues occurring. I would suggest you verify your game files in Steam and then load your Autosave. 

In your steam library, right click Pillars of Eternity > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. 

I have entered a bug in our database. Do you by chance have a save before you dismissed Zahua? It would help see if this bug is reproducible. Otherwise, solving this bug will be quite difficult and may take a long time as your save appears to be corrupted. 

Thank you for your support. 

• Like 1

Hello again and thanks for the reply.
I did do a file verification when the problem first started, but it seemed no files needed downloading.
Unfortunately I don't have a save from when the game first started acting up, so a detailed exaplanation of the problem will have to suffice :p

Thankfuly I was able to fix it by rehiring Zahua and killing the NPC one, but I do understand that's not ideal.

Thx for filing the bug, though, but I wouldn't exactly make it the top of my list, seeing as the forums aren't swarming with complaints about similar issues.

Best regards.

I have the exact same problem. No fixes yet? I have reinstaled the game, clean, and still have this problem with Zahua, all his equiped items disapear if I take him out of the group, and If I reload keeping him, he leaves the party (portrait vanishes) and "turns" into an NPC. Really strange, what anoys me more are the items, keep disapearing.

How can I link my savefile here, please?

Hello SamHam,

I took a look at your files and I saw that you could have 2 instances of Zahua. Fortunately I was able to transition without losing Zahua once I added him back to the party. I also took a look at your output log and I saw a lot of issues occurring. I would suggest you verify your game files in Steam and then load your Autosave. 

In your steam library, right click Pillars of Eternity > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. 

I have entered a bug in our database. Do you by chance have a save before you dismissed Zahua? It would help see if this bug is reproducible. Otherwise, solving this bug will be quite difficult and may take a long time as your save appears to be corrupted. 

Thank you for your support. 

Can I email the save file to support or to you? 

I've just encountered this "bug". I recruited Zahua back into the party some time after not using him for a while after completing WM1&2. All his items gone. I'm not going to replay all those hours all over again. I'm done with PoE. I haven't been this annoyed with a title or Developer/Publisher since ME3....

I'm having the same issue. However its with my companion Kana. I had this issue twice.

The first instance was when i was at my stronghold for a hearing with Berolt at the start of Act II. After sending him off i swap Kana into the party and suddenly there were 2 Kana. 1 was naked standing beside me, the other was in my party with gear on. I saved and reload but Kana disappeared from my party and from my game.

I reloaded to a much earlier save and it was all fine, i've also reinstalled the game to be safe but towards the end of Act II, it happened again. Swap Kana into the party at Copperlanes Inn, he was naked. All equipment and items gone. I don't have anymore working saves. All my previous saves were bugged too.

Edited by deathcoy