PLEASE make a Fallout 4 1/2

AAA sure has inflated everything, including team size expectations 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

As much **** as Sawyer gets, I thought New Vegas had excellent design. I got the feeling that he truly respects the Fallout franchise and its legacy and loves the old games.

While I also want Tim Cain to be lead design on some project, since his games on troika are some of my favorites of all time, I'd really only replace Sawyer if Sawyer supported the removal of Skills/Tagging/factions/reputation system that Fallout 4 introduced along with its atrocious SPECIAL and dialogue system that makes your choices irrelevant.

Aaaw c'mon - Sawyer had his fun with PoE and NV!

I call for a change of the guard - let's bring the Old Man from his comfortable, cozy spot and force into submission! Or... maybe ask really politely, while showering with words of praise and (more importantly) loads of cash through the means of KS.

I promise I'll scream with all the might of caps lock at anyone, who would dare to ask why would they need to use KS again! Tim have all the right to do it, because I said so ;)

Oh, or they could use that FIG thingy?

But jokes aside - I'm totally with you about Troika games. Arcanum was the only game that got even close to satiating my ever lasting hunger for something "Falloutish". And by doing so gave me another thing to crave for... GOD DAMN IT!

Which is the reason why I blame Mr. Cain and also why I long for him creating something, frankly anything, again. Especially that he, himself said that there's more of him in Fallout and Arcanum than in any other game he made.

<sniff>

Anyway, I have to give you that - either you're a keen observer or I forgot how to cover my tracks with age, as admittedly neither NV or IWD 2 were my favourite parts of their respective series. Not bad or anything by any means... just... well, not good enough to become favourites.

I still do love and I'm very grateful for PoE though, which I consider His magnum opus, so here's hoping I didn't came up as disdainful or anything.

Edited by milczyciel

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

yeah, fallout 4 is enjoyable, but it doesn't scratch that particular fallout itch like new vegas, 1 and 2 do. the quests are linear, the writing is above typical bethesda game, but doesn't even touch what new vegas achieved. if a new obsidian fallout come out, i'll probably disappear from the world.

I don't see how Obs has much choice about whether they get contracted out on FO, but I hope they do anyhow.  I like Bethsoft games by and large.  They're not my faves, but I tend to enjoy them.  I think, if I had to make a list, New Vegas would be my second.  I mean, when you get into the top five it starts to get jumbled a bit and my feelings jump around a bit, but New Vegas was a masterpiece.  I love the game.  I personally think that it vindicates Sawyer's philosophy which I find ironic because so much of the engine design is clearly against his core philosophy.  On the other hand, a lot of folks think of Ring of Fire as the quintessential Johnny Cash song and he did the cover for it.  Things sometimes work out that way.

I've enjoyed Pillars quite a bit.  I don't regret a single cent I spent on the Pillars kickstarter.  ...But New Vegas is the reason I dropped that coin and the prospect of something akin to it, Fallout or not, is the only currently foreseeable way I'm going to drop that kind of coin in the near future for a project.

• Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Can we please for the love of god find some way to get the Fallout License back in Obsidian's hands, or convince them to make a new IP that they can just ride the borders of copyright infringement with?

I played NV before picking up Fallout 4 and loved it just as much as the day I bought it, and don't get me wrong, I've put over 200 hours into Fallout 4 already. It's a fun sandbox game with power armor, but it's not a Fallout game. InXile took the turn-based shooter side of the game back with their Wasteland sequel, there has got to be some way for Obsidian to take over the sandbox RPG and make it an actual RPG again. I want to play a first-person fallout game that has an actual plot, and legitimate player choices again, but I've already played through New Vegas just a few weeks ago as mentioned.

Just take the new Unreal engine and go to town Obsidian, we're waiting. I loved every moment of Pillars of Eternity, and I'll be starting another playthrough shortly. Just please do two things:

1: Do what you always do and make a great story driven game.

2: In the name of all that is Sacred to you, your Mother, and the gaming community do NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, do it in that god-forsaken monster of an engine that Bethesda should have taken out back and shot 10 years ago.

Yes, I would be ineterested in playing as non-human. After role playing lot of different characters in New Vegas, it occurred to me recently that I want to be a super mutant and go to Jacobstown and live there. And wasteland occupiers react to me differently because I'm a super mutant. Of course this will include dark things like some shops not selling to you because of your species or some factions becoming 'locked out' simply because they don't like super mutants.

I know it's a big ask. But it would be the 'new twist' I would hope for in the next Fallout game (not some crap like settlement building that has no significant tie into the game world).

The idea really is big ask though as skills and perks would probably have to tie into what species you are and I don't want the Obsidian depth gone. I would only say start with two (human or super mutant) so there isn't crazy amounts to tackle and it is some what feasible.

I fear this can only be done if Obsidian were the 'main runners' of the series though (i.e: get 7 years of their own time) instead of piggy backing on what Bethesda does with a spin off title of sorts.

Arguably you could make a retro-continuity case that Fallout 4 (and 3 by extension) is right

Or you could keep the lore as intact as possible and avoid stomping all over it just to avoid having to be at least a little creative.

A good argument can be made for either case - continuity in storytelling should be a tool not a straight jacket, but good continuity will always resonated; that said since Bethesda decided to do what they did, there's a way (if not more than one) to make the new facts still fit the lore if they want to take it that way.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'd be fine with a small scale (in relative terms) Fallout made for an isometric engine, the original Fallout is quite a small game, very tightly designed and all the better for it. Reasonable profits from a few hundred thousand sales would mean a more reasonable investment, and perhaps a stable franchise dealing with and continuing the classic (as Bethesda terms it on GOG) series. Avoiding the boom or bust sales mentality might be an attractive quality in and of itself for cerain investors?

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'd be fine with a small scale (in relative terms) Fallout made for an isometric engine, the original Fallout is quite a small game, very tightly designed and all the better for it. Reasonable profits from a few hundred thousand sales would mean a more reasonable investment, and perhaps a stable franchise dealing with and continuing the classic (as Bethesda terms it on GOG) series. Avoiding the boom or bust sales mentality might be an attractive quality in and of itself for cerain investors?

I always wondered why these big billion dollar companies never had a handful of smaller teams to work with dated and smaller IPs, and make traditional low budget titles from their current IPs. For example, EA could have a 20 man team working on a low budget Ultima game for pc, or Bethesda could have a small team make a traditional turn-based fallout in between their big releases.

I understand the fear of damaging their big selling IPs, but the floundering and forgotten IPs go unused. It would add stability to their cash flow instead of relying on a handful of AAA games to be blockbusters. I dunno. I guess there is a reason I'm not a CEO.

Edit: I guess these days one could argue that these companies do this with their mobile divisions.

Edited by Ganrich

Ubisoft tried it with Might and Magic. It was a competent game but no idea if it was successful enough commercially to warrant a follow-up. The same team was contracted to do HoMM7 which was received somewhat less well I've heard, so that might be the end of that experiment.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Bethesda's adaptation of Fallout to first person was amazing. There is no reason to return to isometric games - only if isometric equals more content and depth. ONLY then I will support an isometric fallout.

And I did prefer FO3 for its less linear map than FNV.

That said, FNV may have had a little more linear map but as an RPG it was genius and way more deep and less linear than FO3.

FO4 is an aberration IMO, was waiting a new fallout for 7 years and I was very disappointed with it. Feels more like an open world COD than a fallout.

I would kill for another Obsidian fallout!!!!!. 

Edited by Bleak

Bethesda's adaptation of Fallout to first person was amazing. There is no reason to return to isometric games - only if isometric equals more content and depth. ONLY then I will support an isometric fallout.

I think the reason would be to expand the IP by not just having it be FPSRPGS (First Person Semi-Role Playing Game Shooters tongue.png) but exploring different content and genres.

The Fallout setting - we know already - supports the FPS type game. It can support a tactical battle type game. It could probably handle a base-management style game (I guess Shelter is kind of a mobile version of that).

The only reason you might want to do it is (a) monetary or (b) feeling it'd dilute what you want the brand to be.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

HoMM 7 is not a bad game but it suffered from small budget.

It is still much better over the HoMM 6 but there are visible areas where things were kept to working minimum.

.....yeah.

(volume)

https://youtu.be/HgZIvjFlHMM?t=3m8s

https://youtu.be/74GRowG4SSc?t=20m3s

yeah, well in defense of implossion, it has a control factor when you go high prime magic, and you can set ups stacks for some AoE dmg from units. I remember playing with it when i had a wizard town, and using it to stack for my mages blasts, carnage.

Unfortunately yeah, it is fairly underwhelming. I think that either Limbic underestimated the amount of work needed on the project -OR- more likely Ubi had a very restricted budget for this franchise after HoMM6 failure

Sad though. :(

I think the reason would be to expand the IP by not just having it be FPSRPGS (First Person Semi-Role Playing Game Shooters tongue.png) but exploring different content and genres.

The Fallout setting - we know already - supports the FPS type game. It can support a tactical battle type game. It could probably handle a base-management style game (I guess Shelter is kind of a mobile version of that).

The only reason you might want to do it is (a) monetary or (b) feeling it'd dilute what you want the brand to be.

That's what FO4 is imo unfortunately - a First Person Semi-Role Playing Game Shooter Gallery as you very well described. If they wanted to though, it could have been a full role playing game and the FPS part with the VATS would serve as a "real-time+turn based" tactics medium.

In a parallel universe perhaps. Not see it happening with Bethesda.

A full base management game might be very interesting. But personally, FO4 has left me craving for a fallout rpg :/

Edited by Bleak

If they really get to make another Fallout, if the lightning actually ends up striking twice in the same spot, I truly hope it will be as far from being an FPS action title as humanly possible. No amount of VATS gimmickry will help if the core is focused on creating a fluid FPS experience.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

And I did prefer FO3 for its less linear map than FNV.

not this myth again  :getlost:

• Like 4
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

don't remember seeing them anywhere. at least not where it would've mattered. by "mythical" I meant the notion that you couldn't go straight for the Strip from Goodspring

• Like 2
Walsingham said: