PLEASE make a Fallout 4 1/2

Doesn't matter about names as much as performances, Bethesda has a pattern of not using acting talent well. New Vegas is just full of talent that gave great performances. Big name actors aren't necessarily the best voice actors (or actors in general), some of the best don't really do other types of acting and most of the best have done a lot of voice acting throughout their careers. No one knows who John Doman is, but he was great as Caesar, and he was Rawls in The Wire, the best TV show ever made. New Vegas has one of the best casts in video games, Fallout 3 does not.

Also, Old World Blues had Dr. Venture (James Urbaniak) which was so freaking perfect. 

• Like 1

Can I throw my two cents into that wishing well?

Since "Pillars of Eternity" and "Wasteland 2" happened, I long for a post-apo RPG under the direction of no other than Tim Cain himself. I don't even dare to dream about it having any connections to the Fallout franchise - I'm not that naive. That one is a lost cause to me and I more or less got over it. Don't get me wrong - I tried really hard, by which I mean buying every RPG they released since Morrowind, if only to get that bias "I paid for it, I should at least try enjoying it". Unfortunately they never meshed well with me and it's so bad, that I don't even feel the urge to revisit New Vegas (don't kill me)

Anyway, I have to stress out that I wouldn't settle for anything less than Tim being PRODUCER / LEAD DESIGNER... well, ok maybe I would, if he'd be replaced (but still being able to take part in the process of creation on a level much higher than he did for PoE) by Chris Avellone, if only because I also happen to love F2. Alas, I don't know how would that work, given departure of the latter.

Or, you know, maybe that Arcanum spiritual successor? 

• Like 1

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Fallout:  Reconstruction

After safeguarding our people for a century, the Vault's life support systems have failed.   With no information or experience, we leave for the world above us.   To endure the horror of a broken world, we must reconstruct paradise.   This is the story of our people, and the one who paved the way...The Builder.

I want a Fallout game where the focus is on creating a settlement and the power struggles between the various leaders of your vault.  The individuals that you sell scrap and information will influence and eventually dictate how the game's story develops.   Do you capture sane ghouls for a would-be slave trader?   Can you race the clock to get life-saving medicine for the Overseer?   Should your people force their way into another vault?

Bethesda has created a storytelling device with the settlement mechanics.   Obsidian can build upon that, just as New Vegas had done with Fallout 3.

Anyway, I have to stress out that I wouldn't settle for anything less than Tim being PRODUCER / LEAD DESIGNER... well, ok maybe I would, if he'd be replaced (but still being able to take part in the process of creation on a level much higher than he did for PoE) by Chris Avellone, if only because I also happen to love F2. Alas, I don't know how would that work, given departure of the latter.

Or, you know, maybe that Arcanum spiritual successor? 

As much **** as Sawyer gets, I thought New Vegas had excellent design. I got the feeling that he truly respects the Fallout franchise and its legacy and loves the old games.

While I also want Tim Cain to be lead design on some project, since his games on troika are some of my favorites of all time, I'd really only replace Sawyer if Sawyer supported the removal of Skills/Tagging/factions/reputation system that Fallout 4 introduced along with its atrocious SPECIAL and dialogue system that makes your choices irrelevant.

Edited by mindswayer
  • Like 5

I hate Unity.

I would actually want both: an "isometric" Fallout game on the Pillars of Eternity engine (Fallout Tactics 2?), and New Vegas 2 - made by Obsidian.

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

By the way, does anyone know how NV started? Was it Bethesda who offered Obsidian to make Fallout "spin-off" or was it the other way around? If it is the former I'm afraid we're not getting to see Fallout 4 1/2. I don't think Bethesda will make the same offer again considering how obvious the span in RPGshness and quality overall between 3 and NV turned out to be.

Yeah, we can just hope they don't outsource a spin-off to someone totally different. When it comes to creating true RPGs, I don't have much trust in anyone else.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

This is why we need an Obsidian Fallout again.
Hines openly admits Bethesda don't give a turd about lore consistency, on top of showing he's a dumbass that doesn't know the difference between realism and consistency.

post-148062-0-79606900-1448294342_thumb.jpgpost-148062-0-11194600-1448294354_thumb.jpg

Edited by mindswayer
  • Like 3

I hate Unity.

Hines openly admits Bethesda don't give a turd about lore consistency, on top of showing he's a dumbass that doesn't know the difference between realism and consistency.

lazwdp.jpgksudvd.jpg

Mehh, I don't think it matters a great deal but Josh Sawyer would have done mental backflips trying to reconcile that  :lol:

He's the VP of PR and Marketing for Bethesda. If anything, I'm surprised he answers to stuff like that on Twitter.

• Like 1

Arguably you could make a retro-continuity case that Fallout 4 (and 3 by extension) is right; that Myron was lying when he said he created Jet in Fallout 2 (which wouldn't be that hard to explain since making that claim put him in good with the Mordino family and he got prostitutes due to his creation)

To explain it, all you'd need to do is argue that Myron had basically "rediscovered" the drug from Pre-War days since ultimately the drug, IIRC, comes from Brahmin dung where the Brahmin were decedents of pre-war cattle who'd eaten food grown with an experimental cheap protean to speed up growth. With that background, it'd be relatively easy to argue pre-war science would have spotted the change in cattle biochemestry, studied it and extracted Jet which is the pre-War Jet.  Myron was a genius and could have recognized pre-war information on Jet that led to the rediscovery in modern Brahmin strains.

Not that anyone will care because of the whole "Bethesda Fallout bad, Interplay Fallout good" thing going on!

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Arguably you could make a retro-continuity case that Fallout 4 (and 3 by extension) is right; that Myron was lying when he said he created Jet in Fallout 2 (which wouldn't be that hard to explain since making that claim put him in good with the Mordino family and he got prostitutes due to his creation)

To explain it, all you'd need to do is argue that Myron had basically "rediscovered" the drug from Pre-War days since ultimately the drug, IIRC, comes from Brahmin dung where the Brahmin were decedents of pre-war cattle who'd eaten food grown with an experimental cheap protean to speed up growth. With that background, it'd be relatively easy to argue pre-war science would have spotted the change in cattle biochemestry, studied it and extracted Jet which is the pre-War Jet.  Myron was a genius and could have recognized pre-war information on Jet that led to the rediscovery in modern Brahmin strains.

Not that anyone will care because of the whole "Bethesda Fallout bad, Interplay Fallout good" thing going on!

I like your explanation.   A good retcon can lend depth to a setting.  :)

• Like 1

By the way, does anyone know how NV started? Was it Bethesda who offered Obsidian to make Fallout "spin-off" or was it the other way around? If it is the former I'm afraid we're not getting to see Fallout 4 1/2. I don't think Bethesda will make the same offer again considering how obvious the span in RPGshness and quality overall between 3 and NV turned out to be.

I think it depends on whether Bethesda views the negative criticism as damaging their brand. But, as was pointed out to me, sales figures for FO4 are quite rosy, so it may not be an issue. If they do make such an offer, it would likely be at a point in time when the follow-on game release would no longer impact the sales figures. In fact, they could probably make the offer now, given how long it takes to produce such a game.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

According to Todd Howard, they knew they weren't gonna make another fallout for a long time and wanted to keep Fallout around(it wasn't as popular as it is now) so they asked Obs and told them to keep it in the west coast, Obs made a great pitch, they loved it etc.

I wouldn't call a 100 people "a small team". you don't have to have thousands of people working on one project to be a big team. 2 people is a really small team.

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.