Cipher Build for patch 2.XX

Help me with Cipher build for the lastet patch.

I'm not planning to min - max. For role playing purpose only, will this build suffice? Planning to use guns.

Might - 14

Constitution - 10

Dexterity - 18

Perception - 10

Intelligence - 16

Resolve - 10

Talents: 

Level 2 - Biting Whip

Level 4 - Weapon Focus: Ruffian

Level 6 - Draining Whip

Level 8 - Marksman

Level 10 - Gunner

Level 12 - ??

Now for the skills I have an Idea of what to pick but I would welcome your suggestions.

So you're going to put him in the back row and use guns? Should work fine. How about a little perception for accuracy?  

As for spells, IMHO you just need to spam mental binding over and over (which is why I'm not wild about cipher's myself... it gets monotone)

I take it you will be playing the base game without TWM pt. I?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yes. With TWM pt. I you get an extra talent on level 14 and the Stormcaller soulbound bow, which imo is the best weapon in the game for a Cipher (plus it frees up another talent as he wouldn't need to take Gunner.)

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yes. With TWM pt. I you get an extra talent on level 14 and the Stormcaller soulbound bow, which imo is the best weapon in the game for a Cipher (plus it frees up another talent as he wouldn't need to take Gunner.)

Fair enough, though I'm not sure how fun it is to plan a whole character around a single weapon... though to each his own.

Not planning to use bows, guns looks aesthetically awesome. I was thinking, how much dex does affect gun's firing speed? Would it be better if I switch 18 dex to perception? Like 10 dex 18 per.

Hmmm... that's a really tricky one. The difference that dexterity makes can be hard to see with the naked eye. In a longer fight, more dexterity allows you to reload faster and thus get more shots off. But more accuracy can make the difference between a crit and a hit, or a graze and a miss...

If you're confident that you can keep your guy out of the melee, you could steal a point or two from constitution or resolve? 

If you don't want any negative stats, then maybe dex and light armour is the way to go, since guns in PoE are pretty damn slow to begin with.

Edited by Heijoushin

I would sooner give up on MIG than on DEX on a Cipher, especially if using firearms. Firearms already have good damage and you get 20% more from your Biting Whip talent; you don't super need MIG to punch through DR ('sides firearms also have DR bypass.)

OTOH, firearms are very slow and you need speed if you want to build up focus fast enough to use your powers to good effect. The main source of slowness on firearms is the reload animation and DEX is one of the few things that can speed it up.

• Like 1