Bug // Character and items gone

iEdhil

Question

Hello guys,

My problem is that when i reload a game one of my characters (Pallegina) is gone, like deleted, and a couple of armours that my main character and Durance were wearing. It is weird cause in the screen where i can select one saved game or another there are 6 characters but when i load it the character is gone with my items!

Can someone help with that? i have already checked the caché of the game and seems to be alright.

Thanks for your answers. 

12 answers to this question

Hello iEdhil,

Could you please upload a save file and an output log via dropbox so I can take a look? It sounds like your save has been corrupted some how. Do you have an older save you can load? Use that save and you shouldn't have that issue anymore. 

Thank you for your support. 

Edit: I deleted your other post, please do not make duplicated posts. 

I have this exact problem as well!  Probably linked to the November 3rd 2015 patch if I had to guess.  I haven't played too much but I was about to go finish the game and found major issues.

For me the problem character tends to be Eder who irregularly has all of his gear stripped off of him and thrown into the nether.  It just vanishes.  Not in the stash.  Not on him.  Pretty odd.

I loaded a save and everything loaded fine.  I switched Eder into the party and all of his gear was gone.  Distressed, I tried to reset him by toggling him in and out of the party a few times. Nothing seemed to do it.  I went back and found the last save I had with Eder in the party and loaded that.  He had his gear in that save file.  I thought I could just continue from there but even a minor zone transistion (from Caed Nua to the Caed Nua Chapel) erased his gear and expelled him from my party.  It was very odd.  I reloaded the same save again.  Instead of being loaded with the gear it had been erased already.

Finally I went back and (I believe) loaded the first save that loaded fine.  This time my game had ejected half of the party to Caed Nua (out of the active party).  The other half of the party had all of their gear erased.  It was just me, Durance and Kana standing naked in the middle of the Dyrwood inn.  I thought he was just into Magran....

I have uploaded two save files to my google docs:

One save game is in Caed Nua.  It generally has a broken Eder who has been stripped from the party and his gear has been erased.

One save game, "Darkest Reality", is in an Inn.  The party was dismantled and my main character, Durance and Kana are loaded with their gear erased and the rest of the party expelled.

Please tell me if you need more information or background about the problem/circumstances.
Edited by Rofelen

The link is slightly confusing.

It is a file uploaded to google.

Scroll to the top of the page and press the download button to get the ".savegame" file.  Looking at the file on google will show the 270 files that make up a save game file.  Or something.  I don't really know why it displays a bunch of files rather than the one ".savegame" file.  Regardless one should be able to download a singular file with the button at the top.  It can hide itself unless you put the cursor at the top of the screen.

Edited by Rofelen

Hey guys,

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the corrupted saves :( Unfortunately you will either have to go back to an older save, start a new game, or use the console command to give yourself the items back. 

The only way to fix this issue is if we can get our hands on a save right before you lose the items. 

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your support in this matter. 

Kindly tell what you think is the cause of it.

I've just encountered this corruption again late in the game, at Northweald. All heroes but Aloth are naked ... and lots of random item abilities are displayed for each hero next to its small picture.

I've made copies of the savegames ... but it is entirely unclear to me how uploading them would help you.

I had arrived at the Northweald cave entry and pressed F5 to Quicksave. Then I entered the cave. The Autosave for that is fine and 6.041 KB long. The Quicksave is truncated ... at 5.599 KB ... and it's one minute older than the Autosave inside the cave. I didn't discover the corruption, because I cleared the cave and returned outside. The Autosave for that is fine, too, 6.045 KB long. Then ... impatient to finish the area ... I carelessly ran into an encounter where Aloth got into trouble quickly, and instead of trying to help him out, I just hit F8 to reload the last Quicksave.

What has happened? ... To me it looks like the Autosave in the cave may have interrupted the earlier Quicksave and truncated it.

Followup:

It is reproducible! :yes:

Any capable game programmer should be able to track down the bug ... proof-reading the code. Reproducing it may depend on speed of hardware. What happens is that the game interrupts the currently active Quicksave with the Autosave that's triggered for the area the party enters.

For me it's Northweald, entering the cave ... I can corrupt the quicksave game on demand ... but the same will be possible with any other area transition, where the new area loads quicker than the Quicksave is done.

I here open Windows Explorer on the Pillars of Eternity savegames folder and observe that the savegame size doesn't reach its final size, because the Autosave game feature kicks in and interrupts the Quicksave. Sometimes only 200 KB are missing.  If I press F5, then wait a couple of seconds before entering the cave, it doesn't happen.

• Like 1

Hello Merina,

Thank you for pointing this out to us and figuring out the issue. You did an awesome job! What you say is true but not all bugs are that easy to discover especially without being to reproduce it since most people who have experienced this issue don't seem to have a older save to reproduce this. Especially since it is corrupting the quicksave. 

I have confirmed your bug and was able to reproduce this 100%. I have entered a bug into our database and forwarded it to our programmers.

Thank you for your valued help! 

• Like 1

I got hit by this bug and lost the Devil of Caroc (who was in my party) and Sagani (who wasn't), plus some items. This is such a bad bug that it really should be fixed long before White March P2 comes out.

Should using IEMod to switch the autosaves to trigger before changing area help reduce the chance of this happening again? Plus making proper saves as well. 

Well this is interesting. I went back to Galvino's lab to complete the "Fisherman's Penance" quest and there was the Devil of Caroc. I used the "AddtoParty" console command and was able to add her back into my party, but with no items except for her special armour.

The "Findcharacter" console command did not produce anything when she originally disappeared in Stalwart but it did work once I was in the same area as her. Maybe this could be a solution to the missing companion problem - go back to where they were originally recruited.