[TWM 2.02] Crit-to-hit conversion doesn't work quite well

AndreaColombo

Question

SAVED GAME: link

OUTPUT LOG: link

REPRO STEPS:

Load the attached saved game.

Select the protagonist and access her inventory.

Remove her mantle to get rid of the Retaliation ability; it will make this easier to test.

Right-click her armor and observe it has been enhanced with Durgan Steel, which provides 15% crit-to-hit conversion.

Access her record screen.

Observe she possesses the Critical Defense ability, which provides a 20% crit-to-hit conversion.

Further observe that in her record screen, neither Critical Defense nor the effects of Durgan Steel on her armor are greyed out. This suggests both are active simultaneously and stack.

[Note: The protagonist also acquired the Dozens' Luck talent, which provides another 4% crit-to-hit conversion but it doesn't show up because of a bug I described here whereby some of the talents my characters have disappear from the record screen for no reason at some point.] *

Now select the dudette wearing The White Crest armor and access her inventory.

Right-click her armor and observe that hers, too, is enhanced with Durgan Steel.

Back in game, summon a hostile creature or look for trouble somewhere to enter the combat state.

While in combat, use someone other than the protagonist and the White Crest dudette (Paladin) to keep enemies busy while you conduct the test.

Have Durance cast Devotions for the Faithful and Champion's Boon on the Paladin, and Aloth use the Scroll of Valor. You need the Paladin to crit as often as possible.

Use the Paladin to attack the protagonist and keep an eye on the combat log.

Observe the following:

• Never is Sanguine Plate (the Durgan-enhanced armor worn by the protagonist) shown to convert a crit into a hit.
  • Never is Critical Defense shown to convert a crit into a hit. ***
  • [*Never is Dozen's Luck shown to convert a crit into a hit, but I can't prove my character has it because of the bug mentioned above; this warrants testing separately, as I have reason to believe this talent too is not working properly.]
  • On occasion, The White Crest (armor worn by Paladin) is shown to convert a crit into a hit.

This means that Durgan Steel, when applied to an armor, converts YOUR crits to hits instead of converting INCOMING crits to hits as advertised. Basically right now applying it to an armor is a disadvantage.

It also appears that Critical Defense and Dozen's Luck are not working. I suppose they should stack, and stack with Durgan Steel for a total 39% crit-to-hit conversion.

I apologize for reporting what are essentially three issues in a single thread, but they are related and can be all tested separately with this save (well, Critical Defense can; just use a non-Durgan armor on the protagonist and follow the steps. I suggest testing Dozen's Luck on one of your fresh saves.)

Please report your findings here as I am curious what the intended behavior is (If these are indeed bugged, I'll be pestering you to know whether they've been fixed in 2.04 when that is out ahah XD)

*** EDIT : I've just tried to test Critical Defense by eliminating Durgan Steel from the equation. Occasionally there will be hits with nothing written next to them between parenthesis, so they look like regular hits, but when you hover your cursor over them it reads "Crit - [story Time] - Hit." That's rather weird but I guess that's Critical Defense? If so, I suppose it should read "Critical Defense" rather than "Story Time" and it should show between parenthesis next to the damage in the combat log too.

f5VJm2K.png

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

9 answers to this question

Here's a saved game in which I have just acquired Dozen's Luck.

Link

Load the saved game.

Select protagonist and access character record screen.

Scroll down and observe Dozen's Luck is among the talents she possesses.

Scroll up and notice Dozen's Luck is not shown under active effects (other talents such as Gift from the Machine do; the same is true for talents acquired later, such as Dungeon Delver or Songs of the Heaven.)

Back to the game, disable party A.I. for all members.

Access inventory, take sword from protagonist and give it to Pallegina.

Look for trouble to enter combat state.

Cast Devotions for the Faithful and Scroll of Valor to increase crit chance.

Have Pallegina attack protagonist and keep an eye on the combat log.

Being just a 4% chance it might take about forever for it to trigger. I could not get it to trigger; worth checking.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So, I was testing Dire Blessing + Durgan Steel without the IE Mod when this happened:

fNSknQH.png

So, Lady of Pain here is the attacker and also the protagonist who has the Dozen's Luck talent. This means the talent is applying to YOUR crits instead of INCOMING crits. Same issue as Durgan Steel.

Screenshot for Durgan Steel:

TYrqEl1.png

Sanguine Plate is worn by the attacker; it should protect her but instead it turns her crits to hits.

Edited by AndreaColombo

Hey Andrea,

This is working as intended. Its just they how things are being reported in the combat log. Its always *Attacker hits Player for X damage*.  It would make more sense if the log also reported your character has taken damage *Player takes X damage from Attacker*.

So what you are seeing is the crit is being converted to a hit as per the durgan steel enchant and Lucky Dozen from the attackers point of view. 

Hey Aarik,

apologies, I might have worded my post awkwardly. To clarify: Durgan-reinforced armor should protect the wearer from critical hits by converting 20% of incoming crits to hits. To test whether it works, have A wear a Durgan-reinforced armor, and B attack A. You'll see that A's armor never converts incoming crits to hits, suggesting Durgan Steel is not applying the 20% crit to hit conversion.

Now, have A (who is still wearing Durgan-reinforced armor) attack B (who is NOT wearing Durgan-reinforced armor.) You'll notice that sometimes, when A scores a crit against B, A's armor turns it into a hit.

Basically, Durgan Steel is working in reverse. Instead of protecting the wearer from critical hits, it prevents the wearer from scoring critical hits against enemies. Wearing Durgan-reinforced armor is therefore a liability rather than an advantage.

The same is true of Dozen's Luck.

(In the screenshot above, Lady of Pain is the protagonist. She has the Dozen's Luck talent and wears Sanguine Plate. Both are turning the crits Lady of Pain is scoring against her enemies into hits.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

Same bug mechanic that Llengrath displaced image (Instead of converting a hit that the wizard receive into a graze, it convert a graze that the wizard deliver into a miss). They are most likely coded in the same way ( code is reused). 

I won't be surprised if all those similar abilities are bugged

Edited by Agone

Just to be clear, an attacker with the Durgan's Steel Armor enchant is causing that user to convert crits to hits while attacking?

Indeed, that is the case. It should be fairly easy to repro with Durgan Steel because it's a 20% chance; a little harder with Dozens' Luck because it's just 4% but with some patience you'll be able to repro with both. I suspect that Agone is right: This appears to be a global issue and fixing it for one thing will likely fix it for all others too (e.g. fixing it for Durgan Steel will probably automatically fix Dozens' Luck, Llengrath's Displaced Image, etc.)

It is also worth checking the Fighter's Critical Defense ability as well for the same issue.

Fingers crossed! Thanks a bunch, Aarik :)

EDIT: Can't seem to repro in 2.03.

Edited by AndreaColombo