Hi guys,

I just start playing back PoE with my new White March after nearly 2 months break.

Playing Cipher I'm a bit puzzled by some Immunities.

It says that cipher powers base on manipulation of soul. So why animats or fampyrs or guls etc. which have, a bit roughen up, but otherwise normal soul that make their existence possible are immune to some of my powers(like charm or confusion)?

I have feeling that idea of these immunities is blindly taken from other systems like dnd and incorporated here. Unfortunately some of them does not make sense here.

I am a bit disappointed. 

What do you think?

Thanks

Aras

• Like 1

I was under the impression that animats are a result of extremely advanced animancy - in other words, it would take an expert in the field to reprogram and influence them. When I played the game, I was myself surprised that my animancers were capable of charming them. As for guls and fampyrs, I guess you could explain it away by their essence being substantially different from that of a healthy being - then again, that would warrant a high resistance at best, not an immunity.

Animats it's just an example but soul is soul. Also in their description state that they can be very unstable and confused, even destroy themselves - thats an easy feature to exploit by cipher.

And also what about devil of caroc - she's the same group of creatures, shouldn't she also have all these immunities?

Lots of vessels - which are basically soul trapped in dead body - are immune now to cipher manipulation. No sense (except maybe for skeletons).

I like what you said - high resistance at best. Lots of this immunities in my opinion should be high resistance at best.

Animats it's just an example but soul is soul. Also in their description state that they can be very unstable and confused, even destroy themselves - thats an easy feature to exploit by cipher.

And also what about devil of caroc - she's the same group of creatures, shouldn't she also have all these immunities?

Lots of vessels - which are basically soul trapped in dead body - are immune now to cipher manipulation. No sense (except maybe for skeletons).

I like what you said - high resistance at best. Lots of this immunities in my opinion should be high resistance at best.

What about the Devil of Caroc?  Good question. 

I think that the answer comes on two levels.

First, arguably, her animantic (if that's a word to be used) possession of her "body" seems rather different from animats.  Animats seem like they essential PoE's version of golems.  Whatever soul they possess seems like it's just enough to power the animat for use as a "golem" or robot-like creature.  (I haven't played PoE in quite a few months and haven't played WM nor Devil, so I'll admit up front to a level of ignorance on Devil and am only speculating about her, so forgive any obvious errors that I may make here.)   Devil's possession of her "body" seems like it was designed to allow her soul to have a new body and yet still be as much of who she used to me.  She is not a mindless automaton, like an animat.  And as a result, she remains vulnerable to all the same mental attacks that would threaten an normal person.

Secondly, I think that Devil was made to have the same vulnerabilities as normal people in PoE because the Devs didn't want to create a player usable character that had the potential for massive player exploits of the game.  At least where it came to mental attacks.

Frankly, I think that the second one is the REAL answer.  And that the first answer is just the window dressing to justify the real answer.

If there is lore reason behind immunities or lack of immunities then most of those come with new patch and they aren't made public at least yet. So everybody's explanation for them is as good as any other until if ever Obsidian decides to update their official public lore for the game.

And I would say that Crucis guess is probably right why Devil of Caroc don't have same immunities as other animats/vessels as they would probably make her too good compared to other companions.