RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

Uh, where's the gravity at? I thought the hyperspace jump looked really cool, but the stuff on the actual planet looks friggan weird because it's like there's no increasing of gravity whatsoever even as you get close to touching planet, and it looks like your ship is just effortlessly floating above the planet just as it might float in empty space...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That is one tiny planet.  You can clearly see the curvature even when the ship is less than a mile above the surface.  At the same time, it's probably not practical to procedurally generate a planet even the size of Earth, which is really small on a planetary scale, in a video game for a variety of reasons.  Still, I can't help but notice these things and when I see a planet that's considerably smaller than our moon I can't unsee it, I can't put it out of my mind because sense of scale is so important to me in a space game.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It basically looks like the entire thing was shrunk. If you look at the thumbnail of the video, I think, "Hm...that doesn't look too shabby: you're far above some vast mountains, might be somewhat off for Earth standards, but not HORRIBLY," ...but then the video actually plays, and it turns out those "vast" mountains that you're "far above" are like, right there under you, they're tiny, and so yeah, the planet looks SUPER small.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Maybe it's some form of fish-eye sight, where everything looks bigger than it actually is. I remember games like X used this. No idea about this here, though. In fact, I actually hoped the landing on planets would be a simple cutscene / autopilot flight, because now it seems you can fly around the planet and see the wast of... nothingness similar to the planetary landing in this new Elite expansion.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I mean, I would think it's copyright infringement...

Well not if you have original cartridge. At least in most of the civilized countries it's fair use ;-)

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The newest SNES emulators do not need BIOS dump to run. They are emulating everything out of the box. Only thing you need is the original cartridge to play it legit.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

and someone from Obsidian is the first to post about it, hmm. coincidence? I don't think so  :disguise:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

that video seems kind of cut at partners section in 35 minute for some strange reason...

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Diablo 3 UE is out for PC, but I rate it at -1 stars. Why? Always online DRM.

Blizz (*Activision) & Fans Say: But it's not, its for...

RMAH: This has been removed. It was a bad idea, they were told this before release by dozens of news sites. Still they did it and the result was exactly as predicted. Regardless, this excuse won't work anymore.

Anti-Item-Hackers: Peoplz use hack thingies to dupe items. Always online prevents this.

Response: No, it does not. Cheaters, as I like to call them, will find a way, just like piracy. As it turns out, Diablo 3 PC has a huge botting problem, not to mention exploit abuse. So now, instead of duped items with known ID's, people can go to work and let the computer farm a real Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac with optimal stats. So, while it stopped duping per se, it does not prevent cheating, which was the whole point of their argument for always-online.

Conclusion: Always online is about DRM, not whatever lie they're corporate marketing brand-management strategist has come up with over Martini's on the weekend. So, if you're set in D3, I'd say try the console version, it's the only one unladen by needless restriction.

Edited by Luridis
  • Like 2

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I mean...duping is a lot different problem from botting. On the macro-scale, I guess it's not so different, because if it everyone just bots for items, the value of everything goes down anyways - but that way, at least the wealth is spread around  For duping, it's more on the micro-scale, as it allows one player or one group of players to create massive wealth by merely having one individual high worth item and creating many copies of it. What *I* don't understand is why they didn't just go the Diablo 2 route: you want to play singleplayer, fine, but your characters can't enter the official multiplayer mode as a result - nor vice versa. Of course, that didn't actually stop hackers from duping on a massive scale in the official Diablo 2 multiplayer...and from doing worse. Of course, it's been fifteen years since Diablo 2 released, too...

• Like 1

Just saw this best off game awards thingy and now I won't be able to sleep for a few nights.

WTF is god sake this?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

that's the dark side of game journalism 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I didn't watch the Game Awards because it's an awards show and why would I do that to myself?  I managed to make it through about 3 1/2 minutes of that youtube video before I had to turn it off because I wanted to throw my monitor out the window.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

No game released this year was good enough to deserve any award.

Well you sure played a lot of games then :-P

Edit: You've got to have very particular taste to not have found a good game this year, I don't think I remember a year when so many good games of such variety came out. Nothing wrong with particular tastes mind you.

Edited by Fenixp

Edit: You've got to have very particular taste to not have found a good game this year, I don't think I remember a year when so many good games of such variety came out. Nothing wrong with particular tastes mind you.

No strategy games I care about or like came out, no singleplayer first person shooters I care about or like came out, no RPGs I care about or like came out, and nothing else that I can think of that I care about or like came out. Overall, I'd rate it as a pretty horrible year for myself.

In fact, with the recent Europa Universalis 4 expansions that have come out that have completely mucked up the game to the point where I don't even want to play it anymore, I would view this year as worse than merely lacking anything I like: it even took away a game I previously *did* like. :)

Edited by Bartimaeus