RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

Some might remember me posting screenshots from a game called Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries, staring red ridinghood.

The game was a kickstarter I had backed. It released earlier this year but was not the commercial success the studio had needed and thus they went out of business.

Last month we suddenly got a kickstarter update from some people calling themselves Rebellion who had bought the IP. And they wanted to let backers know that they would look into fulfilling outstanding rewards, because, well, because.

So today I received my letter. It's nothing "big" - I had mostly digital rewards - but hey, I'm impressed that in this industry someone decides to fulfill the obligations someone else couldn't.

That is pretty cool. I'd been considering buying the game, but the fact that it was only part 1 of a series (and supposedly rather buggy to boot) kinda put me off of it, knowing that that might get sorted out gives me some measure of hope :)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but have you not played Wasteland 2?

I think that WL2 is the best [ersatz] Fallout game since Fallout 2, and that they know it; and planned it that way.

(But it isn't one, not really.)

what I mean is, in its original form, Fallout wouldn't work for me, if I saw it for the first time today. it has many little things that annoy the hell out of me. like the interaction menu, the way the inventory is set up, the way combat is paced, character movement in turn-based mode, camera perspective (I can't count the times I missed a door or a stairwell because of how they're placed behind a wall so it just blends into the wall) etc.

and then, of course, the companions... I played FO2 before trying the original game. by the time I got to playing Fallout I already knew to avoid taking companions with me, so I went through most of the game solo (taking Tycho with me to save Tandi and killing him when at the raiders' hideout, because he already had become annoying by then). 

to be frank, I think Fallout Tactics has aged a lot better than Fallout has. that game I like replaying simply for its level design.

what I really like about Fallout is the SPECIAL and how combat is designed around it. in my opinion, Fallout's interpretation of TB combat is second only to Jagged Alliance 2.

No future Fallout title would need (or likely use) a 2D engine.   It would be 3D; (3D doesn't mean first person for those that assume it does). All of the graphical issues that Fallout had would be forgotten with the use of a 3D engine.  Personally, I think that a Fallout title done using Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity framework could really shine.

___

I thought (and still think) of Fallout Tactics' Turn based combat as the best combat the IP has to offer ~so far.

(Though I might have thought differently had Zenimax acquired 'Super Hot', and based the combat mechanics of FO4 on it.)

I have to disagree with your statement regarding WL2 being the best "Fallout" -game since the second iteration. In my opinion F:NV had much more lush and interesting world, characters and quests than WL2, and I'd even go so far as to say F4 is better than WL2 but since I know I'm probably in minority with that opinion lets leave it at that.

But I do agree with your statement about Fallout: Tactics' combat, and I still replay the game from time to time just to enjoy how well that aspect of the game is made.

• Like 1

I loved the original Wasteland. Best game ever. Open world, before its time in so many aspects, great story.

Wasteland 2 felt restricted, clumsy, archaic and small. I never finished it.

I vastly prefer Fallout 4 and wish Wasteland 2 would have been updated in the same way.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, Fallout was unique by its setting - futuristic 60ties. Wasteland post-apo world is too generic

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

But the problem is that controlling a single character offers a limited amount of tactical options in a turn-based, grid-based environment.

There are certain limits for sure. But doesn't it ultimately depend on core combat design (pace, action options and fine grained they are, HP system, encounter design, what ever goes with the territory) whether those limitations as per lacking a party to control are really all that relevant?

I don't see it as a problem, it just calls for a tad different take than a party based design.

I thought Fallout (and moreso Fallout 2) was interesting enough for me to like its systems. Certainly with location targeting, and the different punches and kicks you could do as unarmed (as poorly documented as they were). I do admit I likely prefer simpler combat systems to most people though, since to me it's not at all the part of the typical RPG that I enjoy.

Me too, pretty much. I don't much care for too heavy focus on combat.

I was just saying that the lack of tactical options in comparison to a party based game (a criticism I've heard quite a few times) can be adressed.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I love Fallout Tactics, but the combat should've been redesigned or at least rebalanced. As it was it just showed how Fallout's TB worked fine for a single charcter who couldn't crouch or go prone or take cover, but since they added all that, the system justn couldn't offer enough flexibility in combat. From my perspective they just wanted JA2 combat with SPECIAL pasted on it.  It's still fun but just doesn't fit like it could.

• Like 3

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I just want a developer to understand that "turn-based isometric" is not synonymous with "party-based".

Well, both Underrail and Age of Decadence are single-character turn-based isometric (or pseudo-isometric, whatever) titles. But the problem is that controlling a single character offers a limited amount of tactical options in a turn-based, grid-based environment.

I am playing Fallout 4 right now but I think I am going to purchase that Age of decadence game. It looks pretty good for my RPG tastes. I will check underrail too.

I have to disagree with your statement regarding WL2 being the best "Fallout" -game since the second iteration. In my opinion F:NV had much more lush and interesting world, characters and quests than WL2, and I'd even go so far as to say F4 is better than WL2 but since I know I'm probably in minority with that opinion lets leave it at that.

New Vegas lacks the core gameplay of the series ~as per the Bethesda leash they were on while making it. New Vegas is a superb FO3 spinoff; and built on FO3  ~because (I expect) it had to be, to get approval.

NV was a wonderful ½ step back towards Fallout 2, but it was still FO3 under the hood.

But I do agree with your statement about Fallout: Tactics' combat, and I still replay the game from time to time just to enjoy how well that aspect of the game is made.

8)

Edited by Gizmo

I think the gameplay in New Vegas was very similar to Fallout 2. it's the Van Buren I always wanted.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

New Vegas lacks the core gameplay of the series ~as per the Bethesda leash they were on while making it. New Vegas is a superb FO3 spinoff; and built on FO3  ~because (I expect) it had to be, to get approval.

NV was a wonderful ½ step back towards Fallout 2, but it was still FO3 under the ho

Given the amount of criticism that Bethesda receives regarding the differences between FO3 and FO4, I have to suspect that they have a very strongly disincentive to ever make that mistake again. I.e. why would they ever license out the game rights if it just results in endless grousing about their own game? To me, it would take a good deal of money to overcome that unfair stigma.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

NV was a wonderful ½ step back towards Fallout 2, but it was still FO3 under the hood.

One can only imagine what the game could've been like if was made with the PoE engine (and TB combat).

Oh, how do I wish...

3gLBYFL.jpg

8tifPeG-noscale.jpg

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 7

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I doubt they care much about the vocal minority on the internetz. FO4 is outselling Skyrim.

"One billion flies can't be wrong, eat s***" :/

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

One can only imagine what the game could've been like if was made with the PoE engine (and TB combat).

Oh, how do I wish...

3gLBYFL.jpg

8tifPeG-noscale.jpg

I though for a slim second that this was somehow real...

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Oh, how do I wish...

3gLBYFL.jpg

8tifPeG-noscale.jpg

Where did they come from? And yes, utterly breathtaking. 

Man, I wish there would be a game where you play as an imperial soldier in a WW1-like trench fight scenario. Less comic world, more "real" feeling and stuff like that. The above shown space marine mashing looks somewhat boring to me.

Maybe something based on the early Dan Abnett Gaunt's Ghosts books.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I could die feeling like I lived a fulfilling life if a Bayonetta/DMC-style game where you play as a Harlequin was made.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I could die feeling like I lived a fulfilling life if a Bayonetta/DMC-style game where you play as a Harlequin was made.

I'm still waiting for pretty much any game from that genre on a PC. It's been a long time since the last DMC...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I'm still waiting for pretty much any game from that genre on a PC. It's been a long time since the last DMC...

What, DmC and DMC4 Special Edition not enough for you? :p (Me neither)

Metal Gear Rising is quite amazing. So is the new DmC, altho it's fairly easy. Then there's Transformers: Devastation which to me seemed horrible at first glance but is apparently brilliant - by Platinum Games no less.