Sword Coast Legends - RTWPD&DRPG and it's out now!

Blarghagh

Well i'm very sad to hear that such an old firm is closing and people are losing their jobs, but I have to question their business practises, almost everything they announced about SCL was a slap in the face to D&D players, to the extent that they had the fearsome Eye Tyrant level scaled to the player. They alienated their potential audience with almost every facet of their game, and I can't see what audience they were pursuing, D&D is a niche interest and Kickstarter and Beamdog have both shown that those interested in it are more than willing to spend money. Why spurn that huge market?

I hope that some lessons have been learned going forward, I would hate to see more firms throwing everything away chasing an imaginary audience.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I never understood what nSpace was aiming for with SCL. For a game that had "NWN" written all over it, it met NONE of that expectations. Still sad seeing yet another stuido shut down with a failed D&D-game. I wonder how much WoTC had to do with the course that game went ...  

They got what they deserved. As for   'feeling sorry' for the employees... well, they had a hand in making a crap game so no mercy. That said, I'm sure the atcual talented employees will find work soon enough. NO MERCY FOR THE WICKED BY THE WICKED.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I never understood what nSpace was aiming for with SCL. For a game that had "NWN" written all over it, it met NONE of that expectations. Still sad seeing yet another stuido shut down with a failed D&D-game. I wonder how much WoTC had to do with the course that game went ...  

the sad thing is other devs and publisher will see "lol D&D games aren't profitable, just shelf the franchise in a smelly closet  forever" instead of actually thinking bad games won't sell.

seems like nSpace bites more they can chew

Well i'm very sad to hear that such an old firm is closing and people are losing their jobs, but I have to question their business practises, almost everything they announced about SCL was a slap in the face to D&D players, to the extent that they had the fearsome Eye Tyrant level scaled to the player. They alienated their potential audience with almost every facet of their game, and I can't see what audience they were pursuing, D&D is a niche interest and Kickstarter and Beamdog have both shown that those interested in it are more than willing to spend money. Why spurn that huge market?

I hope that some lessons have been learned going forward, I would hate to see more firms throwing everything away chasing an imaginary audience.

That was my impression as well. Luckily I never even bought this game because everything I saw and read about SCL, just made me wonder who the hell was the target audience for this game.

I'm one of the few people that liked the game, so I'm sad to hear this.  Hopefully we still get the Rage of Demons DLC at some point.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That was my impression as well. Luckily I never even bought this game because everything I saw and read about SCL, just made me wonder who the hell was the target audience for this game.

Target audience was reasonably obvious, it was just unrealistic: appeal to the established D&D fanbase (which is bigger than niche, NWNs and BGs were each multi million sellers) plus some from the more 'casual' audience of Diablo 3/ Skyrim types, plus consoles in future. The game just fell uncomfortably into the 'appeal to neither significantly' hole, as most such attempts inevitably do. They'd have been better off aiming for one market or the other instead of both, but aiming for both markets will always be tempting because if it comes off it means more money. But, the alterations from D&D, lack of proper GM mode and the like puts off the D&D audience, being D&D at all puts off most of the casual audience- and it didn't have great word of mouth, didn't have great sales numbers to provide funds to fix the problems so just kind of... stalled.

It doesn't mean much for the state of RPGs, except perhaps putting another nail into the coffin of D&D as a cRPG system. Probably good news for Beamdog though, as it gives them better bargaining with Hasbro for a BG3.

• Like 1

Target audience was reasonably obvious, it was just unrealistic: appeal to the established D&D fanbase (which is bigger than niche, NWNs and BGs were each multi million sellers) plus some from the more 'casual' audience of Diablo 3/ Skyrim types, plus consoles in future. The game just fell uncomfortably into the 'appeal to neither significantly' hole, as most such attempts inevitably do. They'd have been better off aiming for one market or the other instead of both, but aiming for both markets will always be tempting because if it comes off it means more money. But, the alterations from D&D, lack of proper GM mode and the like puts off the D&D audience, being D&D at all puts off most of the casual audience- and it didn't have great word of mouth, didn't have great sales numbers to provide funds to fix the problems so just kind of... stalled.

Exactly! The more a game tries to be all things to all people the more bland and watered down it becomes. This is the reason I find it nearly impossible to get into AAA games anymore: because of their huge budgets they have to try to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, which is why most big name RPGs more closely resemble dating sims and action shooters than role-playing games.

• 1 month later...

Sad for them but I really didn't like the game even though I really tried, really

Yeah this sums me up too. I tried for the last time this morning. To hell with it

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah this sums me up too. I tried for the last time this morning. To hell with it

Did you try the new dlc, GD? I rolled up a Tiefling Warlock last night but I haven't tried it out yet.

I'll probably start playing Rage of Demons tonight.  I'm also going with a Tiefling Warlock.  Lawful Evil for maximum awesomeness.

Edit: Never mind.  There is a bug in the Mac & Linux versions currently where there is no in-game sound (there is sound in cutscenes).  They are aware of it and are working on a hotfix.  I'll wait until then to play it. *sigh*

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

No I only have the base game that came with the pre-order. I didn't like the interface, camera angles, voice acting... just a total miss for me. I was hoping it would recapture the IWD or BG I & II magic for me but it never came close. PoE did... but not this.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to say that this is a neat little game, it's pretty easy for the most part but there are some difficult boss battles. I think Dan Tudge left Bioware to make this game after dragon age origins. I think it feels like a mix between Nwn 2 And DA0. I think the developer went under though after release. You can have a party of 4 including your companion and I think it is based on dnd 5th edition.

Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man, but can't walk or hold things?

It's a dead game and a badly designed D&D game, that's why it sold poorly. The best aspect of that game funnily enough was the light story and some companions.

Not sure why they tried to make it a diablo clone instead of making it a platform for D&D like NWN was.... (god I miss some of the modules of NWN - i would pay kings ransom for a new release of such a game)

• Like 1

It is one of the worst D&D games evar. And, while it pretends to be 5e, it is a complete butchering of it.  The game is basically nu POR2 but even POR2 was closer to 3E than SCL is to 5E.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Maybe I just have low expectation for SCL, but I like it and even in the beginning never thought it would try to be as deep or lengthy as something like Baldur's Gate or NWN . The worst dnd game in recent years was definitely Daggerdale.

Edited by BrotherFerg

Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man, but can't walk or hold things?