Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Blarghagh

I'd be surprised if Rey isn't Luke's daughter. Probably hidden just before he disappeared in order to protect her from Ben "almost beaten by Finn" Solo. ;)

However, I really hope that any subsequent movies are a bit more daring and much less remakey.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Given how incredibly similar this was to Episode 4, I hope Episode 8 will contain the following:

During showdown between the protagonist chick and the evil dude, he cuts her hand and says: "Rey, I am your cousin. Let's go bowling!" She's actually Luke's daughter. *drumroll*

Before reboot in EU Solo had son and daughter. Daughter ultimately killed evil son.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Why would these Solos live in the European Union?

I hank you.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Just watched the movie, I enjoyed it overall. I think I like it as much as Episode 3/Episode 4 (Yes, I find episode 3 to be the best of the prequels and episode 4 the worst of the original trilogy; deal with it Return of the Jedi haters).

I had to deal with some serious bs at the theater. When the movie started there was a serious audio problem and no one could hear any of the movie's dialog correctly. After like, 15 minuets the theater stopped the movie saying they'd restart it after the issue was fixed. Very annoying. Had to wait like ten minuets for things to get back in proper order. Oh well, such is life.

I thought it was a good movie overall.

The only thing I find unbelievable is Rey who's never picked up a lightsaber before pretty much beats Kylo Ren. And this is the guy who killed Luke's Jedi academy. It would be like seeing Luke in ANH kicking Darth Vader's butt.

Otherwise is was pretty good.

Another Chosen One, I guess.

Well let's be clear, Kylo Ren was at a serious disadvantage considering he was wounded by Chewie's Bowcaster. Most people would be defeated just from that. The fact that Kylo Ren could even fight at all in that condition suggests he's pretty powerful. Also, he still beat Fin and would have defeated Rey if not for Fin's assistance early on. I should also note that Rey already has some combat experience; remember when she kicked the crap out of those scrubs on Jakku? 

Luke in ANH had no combat experience at all (he would get easily crushed by Rey), and Kylo Ren isn't as powerful as Vader; so this really doesn't compare to that.

• Like 3

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Well, that was fantastic.  I was just in love with every moment.  It was such a pleasure to watch Harrison Ford play the character again, he nailed it without it seeming like a cheesy tribute.  Fin is fantastic too, I'd say he may be the best actor in the bunch.  It was such a treat to watch, considering the prequels really lacked that.  I cared about the characters by the end of the movie, and that was great.

• Like 4

Well, that was fantastic.  I was just in love with every moment.  It was such a pleasure to watch Harrison Ford play the character again, he nailed it without it seeming like a cheesy tribute.  Fin is fantastic too, I'd say he may be the best actor in the bunch.  It was such a treat to watch, considering the prequels really lacked that.  I cared about the characters by the end of the movie, and that was great.

Glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Kylo Ren is Prequel Anakin as portrayed by a good actor under the guidance of a good director. Looking forward to his character development.

Really I enjoyed all the new characters except the First Order general dude. He was trying really hard to be threatening and it just didn't work. Also Phasma was like ridiculously overhyped. She really is the new Boba Fett, look really cool then get taken out really easily after doing literally nothing.

Also, Luke's hair. :thumbsup:

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Really I enjoyed all the new characters except the First Order general dude. He was trying really hard to be threatening and it just didn't work. Also Phasma was like ridiculously overhyped. She really is the new Boba Fett, look really cool then get taken out really easily after doing literally nothing.

She'll be more developed in VIII. She was filming Game of thrones and probably couldn't be more involved so they put her there as introduction and a set up character.

She'll be more developed in VIII. She was filming Game of thrones and probably couldn't be more involved so they put her there as introduction and a set up character.

io9 just wouldn't shut up about her and how amazeballs she was going to be. I think they did like 4 articles on it or something. Saw links to other sites talking her up too.

I mean I wanted her to be cool, but she just walked, posed, then got shoved down a garbage chute. You'd think the captain of the Stormtroopers and one of the most elite of the First Order would have given a little more resistance to shutting down their defences too. The only defiance she showed was after she had already shut them down.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well I sort of watched the film, after herding all of my offspring into the theatre, signing a second mortgage in order to afford the drinks and confectionaries desired by all, and getting settled in our seats we began the experience. A good start, competently made which I regard as the hallmark of Mr Abrams, and appropriately drenched in the Star Wars atmosphere. A rather unsatisfying ending I thought, the original Star Wars was much better in this regard with the simple ending serving as a nice closer. However the part I most enjoyed was the hour and a half of total blackness and gentle snoring in the middle, extremely refreshing, and just what I think was needed by this viewer.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

From a certain point of view?

12370947_711324025633714_543712606789399

You are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on your point of view

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

tumblr_inline_mwjgw42cx31rdh5v8.jpg

After the slaughter of childern there was strict lightsaber control. Everone who had lightsabers was hunted down until only the government had lightsabers. You know what happened next? The senate was disabanded, an evil dictator seized control of the galaxy and tyranny ensued. Planets were destroyed, princesses captured. And it all came crashing down as soon as private citizens had lightsabers again!

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

But if people had listened Yoda when he demanded stricter back ground checks for those who were given lightsabers, we would never seen rise of Anakin/Darth Vader and it would had prevented destruction of Republic also, as Anakin/Darth Vader played core part in events that lead its destruction.

• Like 2

It was good. Not amazing, just good. They did way too much of the shot/reverse shot that happened in the prequels. Two people standing and staring at each other being emotional.

It needed to pull the camera back and have them do other stuff. USE SOME FREAKING BODY LANGUAGE

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

From a certain point of view?

12370947_711324025633714_543712606789399

Considering the Death Star was going to blow up the rebels it would have to be considered an act of self-defense.

Edited by Namutree

Why am I not surprised that people on this forum are not impressed ?

Obsidian elitism strikes again....does anyone actually feel like they are now just being unreasonable   :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Obsidian elitism strikes again....does anyone actually feel like they are now just being unreasonable   :biggrin:

I don't think it is unreasonable to say that the movie is too much of a conservative remake for its own good. Maybe the next one will stand on its own and pass from being good to being great. ;)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

What are you on about? Everyone seems to have liked it.

Open at your peril:

Okay so... eh. I just came home from cinema and I'm not exactly sure what to make of it yet. Some parts were great, others... not so much. Ben Solo is a terrible replacement for Darth Vader, and the scene where he kills his father is so terribly obvious that I just had to laugh. There's absolutely no emotional impact in the death scene of one of the most iconic characters of the entire Star Wars universe.

Aso, Ben is a terrible noob who almost gets owned in light saber combat by a force-insensitive deserter and then REALLY gets owned by a novice force user without any formal training what-so-ever, and we're supposed to believe he's the one that wiped out Luke's Jedi academy? Yeah, riiiiiight.

Much of the movie is also extremely conservative - it is painfully obvious that everyone involved did not want to repeat mistakes made in the prequels so the end result is a mash-up of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, often without the fun of the former and completely without the emotional impact of the latter.

Still, in spite of all that, much better than the prequels were, but that is not saying much...

Felt the same way.

Some random spoilery thoughts.

When the starkiller weapon destroyed the planet, I had no idea what planet it was or why they were destroying it. The whole relationship between the Resistance, the Republic and the First Order is vague. When Kylo killed Han, it lacked any emotional impact because I wasn't vested in the character of Kylo and his relationship with Han. Besides a few lines of exposition their relationship is never explored in any detail. I would have preferred Han dying in later movies after the whole family dynamic was better established.

At some points, I felt like I was watching episode 8 without having seen episode 7. I would have liked to see how Kylo was seduced by the darkside, his deteriorating relationship with his family, the rise of the First Order, and the fall (again) of the Jedi Order. I really wish they would stop destroying the Jedi Order in every Star Wars related anything. 

RoTJ was such a definitive ending for the series that I wanted to see the fruits of all the old characters'  efforts and sacrifices before things took a downward turn again. I wanted to see Leia run the New Republic, Luke leading a new Jedi Order, Han and Chewie with the Republic Fleet or just chilling with the family. Jumping right into TFA, it felt like nothing had really changed from ROTJ. Maybe that would have made for a boring first half of a new Star Wars movie, I dunno.

I did really enjoy the film overall. Rey and Finn are great protagonists and I was grinning the entire first third of the movie at their exploits. Loved Poe and all the fighter squadron space battles. BB-8 is a great addition to the droid cast. Grinning all the time with the banter between Han and Chewie. Han and Leia scenes hit my nostalgia buttons with their love theme playing in the background. Thought the characters in the First Order were weaker, but hopefully they will be explored more in subsequent films. Planning to see it again soon. 

• Like 2