What's on the idiot box?

Blarghagh

Welcome back to another thread about television things. What's on TV these days and does it have too many superheroes in it? Will there ever be another good Star Trek show? Do we care too much about entertainment and will our society crumble like that of the ancient romans?

Last brain-melted box-watchers:

'Captain Worf' has been a proposal for a long time, unsurprisingly Michael Dorn is the main person pushing it. It would make sense though, since he was in both TNG and DS9 plus movies he's theoretically got a lot more draw/ hook than any other practical possibility. They aren't going to get Patrick Stewart, after all.

Worf was a popular character too. He's much more interesting as a klingon warrior than as a starfleet officer though.

I can't immerse in escapism when the local ABC affiliate tags an entire SHIELD episode with a graphical radar overlay, feigning interest in my well-being as a citizen with proof that water falling from the sky is imminent. It's not a hurricane, Channel 10, it's not a tornado ... no one is at risk ... stop ruining my life.

wtfa3_zpsy5ijmjec.jpg

edit: I was wrong, as usual, people are in danger

iwaswrong_zpswmnmsroz.png

• Like 1

The local channel squished Agents of Shield to run poll results during the show.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Heh, found out that a few years ago, three of the actors from the old Highlander tv show got together and filmed their own "fan version" of a couple of conversations. Peter Wingfield (Methos), Elizabeth Gracen (Amanda), and Jim Byrnes (Joe) reprising their roles. It takes place 10 years after the series between the fourth and fifth movies. Filming took place at Wingfield's beach home with the actors volunteering in their roles. The plot involved the characters discussing Methos' plans to get married and settle down with a mortal woman and her son.

Methos:  "So am I doing the right thing in marrying her?"
Amanda: "Do you love her? Do you want to live with her for as long as you can? Would you die to protect her?"
Methos:  "Yes, yes, and yes!"
Amanda: "Then you're doing the right thing."
Methos:  "Well, she knows I'm immortal, but how much of my past should I tell her about?"...
Amanda: "Everything. Oh wait, you might want to skip the point where you killed, raped and slaughtered people as one of the Four Horsemen during the bronze age. It might be wrong to confuse her with too much information..."

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Arrow was made much better by an unexpected (to me) guest.

Yeah. I was a fan of Constantine and when it was cancelled everyone involved in Arrow was pretty vocal about wanting Matt Ryan to reprise the role on Arrow or Flash. Was a pretty interesting dynamic performing a ritual to return a soul to a body while in a super hi-tech secret base with giant computer terminals everywhere.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The local channel squished Agents of Shield to run poll results during the show.

Speaking of which... is it just me or does

Garner being Lash makes as much sense as Ward being Hydra did

? :o

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

When May said he disappeared while on vacation with her and it was the same time everyone started turning into inhumans I first started suspecting it. Dunno what happened to make him go kill crazy though. I'm sure they will explain satifactorily as they did with Ward.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Agent X.  

Classed as an Action, Drama its pretty much a cheese-tastic superspy type of thing. I just had to see it. It's amazingly full of rather good actors who are usually in supporting roles, with some just.. spectacularly ropey story and plots.

Sharon Stone as a newly sworn Vice President who discovers that the reason the VP has bugger all to do is a secret article in the constitution which means she controls/directs a lone agent to be used as crisis management. With the likes of John Shea, James Earl Jones, Jamey Sheridan, and Gerald McRaney supporting the scenes and Andrew Howard getting to step out of his usual thug/enforcer roles and play the villainous mastermind.

Edited by Raithe

When May said he disappeared while on vacation with her and it was the same time everyone started turning into inhumans I first started suspecting it. Dunno what happened to make him go kill crazy though. I'm sure they will explain satifactorily as they did with Ward.

Right you were, just didn't expect it to happen this soon. Oh, and it really looks like nobody's allowed to have a romantic break on this show. ;)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I really don't understand how certain shows do so well on TV, while good shows get canceled.  Are the bulk of people who watch shows 30-something women?  It seems like if the show is something that a 30 to 40 year woman would like, it will stick.  If it's got any sort of action and isn't basically a romantic/soap opera-like night time show, it gets canceled.

I mean, Madame Secretary?  The Good Wife?  All these hospital shows and Chicago Fire?  Christ.  There's no point even tuning in to new shows unless it's a soap opera chick flick.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I really don't understand how certain shows do so well on TV, while good shows get canceled.  Are the bulk of people who watch shows 30-something women?  It seems like if the show is something that a 30 to 40 year woman would like, it will stick.  If it's got any sort of action and isn't basically a romantic/soap opera-like night time show, it gets canceled.

I mean, Madame Secretary?  The Good Wife?  All these hospital shows and Chicago Fire?  Christ.  There's no point even tuning in to new shows unless it's a soap opera chick flick.

Sci-Fi and Fantasy are the big one that can't seem to get ratings, which is odd because like 7 of the top 10 earning movies of all time are Sci-Fi or Fantasy. I think a lot of it has to do with how ratings are collected. Essentially live ratigns are all that count, and only old people watch stuff live anymore, hence NCIS being the top rated network TV show.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Jessica Jones is up on Netflix. First episode was good. Not Daredevil good, but good.

Devastatorsig.jpg

You fellows were right about Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, this is I think a worthy successor to the original series, the situation is quite delicate and thus interesting while the cast are fairly unique and well "placed," they have room to grow if you know what I mean, though knowing Colm Meaney's acting chops I really think they're underusing him. The fairer sex are not exactly hard on the eye either. This certainly has potential if they're daring enough, which usually i've found with Star Trek, they're not.

Quark and Rene really relish their scenery chewing don't they?

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

You fellows were right about Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, this is I think a worthy successor to the original series, the situation is quite delicate and thus interesting while the cast are fairly unique and well "placed," they have room to grow if you know what I mean, though knowing Colm Meaney's acting chops I really think they're underusing him. The fairer sex are not exactly hard on the eye either. This certainly has potential if they're daring enough, which usually i've found with Star Trek, they're not.

Quark and Rene really relish their scenery chewing don't they?

Major Kira was a childhood crush of mine.

Odo probably gets the most character development over yhe series

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think Bashir has a lot of development considering where he ends up compared to that innocent who started the show...  Of course, the last few seasons covering his relationship with a certain tailor made pure gold on screen.

• Like 2

Major Kira certainly has an Elvish look to her features doesn't she? I do like the Cardassians.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I never thought of it before, but really all the Bajorans have kind of an elvish vibe. Garak and Dukat were definitely highlights of the show. Garak was my favorite character.

Much further in Jessica Jones, definitely gets better as the show progresses, so far 2 "Sweet Christmas" from Luke Cage, and Kilgrave is a creepy villain. Still not as good as Daredevil, but still an excellent show. Looking forward to Luke Cage now especially how his fight scenes play out. He is completely calm during fights because he essentially can't be hurt.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg