Warcraft - the movie (2016)

Darkpriest

It's going to be terrible. But I like your enthusiasm.

It will be better than Wing Commander

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I prefer the earlier Warcraft lore (up to War2). The whole "Orcs are just mis-understood people corrupted by demons" thing makes me throw up a little in my mouth. In a fantasy warfare game, is it really so bad to have a "evil-ish" race? (What's next, a Starcraft movie with cuddly zerg?)

So... hope the movie is based on that...

Edited by Heijoushin

It's the story of WarCraft 1 but with a backdrop of "corrupted savages". So it's a little bit of both.

Also, have you played StarCraft II's campaign? The Zerg are good guys now. (Seriously, **** you and your redemption fetish, Blizzard.)

I... have... I'm trying to block out the memories...

It's the story of WarCraft 1 but with a backdrop of "corrupted savages". So it's a little bit of both.

Also, have you played StarCraft II's campaign? The Zerg are good guys now. (Seriously, **** you and your redemption fetish, Blizzard.)

Embarrassing to admit, but I did say "What the ****?" out loud when we find out the Overmind's 'nobility'. I am just expecting us to use some magical Galaxy Pylon to destroy Amon as he arrives using Zerg and Terrans to hold the line while Zeratul and Kerrigan sacrifice themselves.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Embarrassing to admit, but I did say "What the ****?" out loud when we find out the Overmind's 'nobility'. I am just expecting us to use some magical Galaxy Pylon to destroy Amon as he arrives using Zerg and Terrans to hold the line while Zeratul and Kerrigan sacrifice themselves.

did you read Blizzard's script ? :p

I expect much the same. Blizzard's games used to be light on actual storytelling but heavy on world-building, which is something they're really good at. The problem is that they've started to push cinematic storytelling forward into their games more and it makes them make stuff really stupid to make cool images. They Pacific Rim it - it looks awesome, but it makes no sense whatsoever. Side note: I'm sure pacific rimming something has different meanings. I'm afraid since they had veto powers and input on the script for WarCraft, the movie is going to be much the same - and it's produced by the same people who produced Pacific Rim in the first place. So at best, for both their games and this movie, I'm expecting things that are really fun but also really, really stupid.

As I understand, Pacific Rimming is a sex act.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

did you read Blizzard's script ? tongue.png

Nah, I am sure what they will deliver will be more corny, sorry, EPIC and full of one liners. Zertaul already has a dramatic "My life...for Aiur! *psionic blade ignites", I suspect Raynor will have a dramatic visor close with turn and some angel symbolism for Kerrigan.

This was an interesting read - https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2010/10/24/the-problem-with-starcraft-2s-story/

Yeah, that article pretty much says what I did. They're Pacific Rimming instead of delivering a satisfying story. Now, I loved Pacific Rim and I really enjoyed the StarCraft II campaigns so far. But they were all so freaking stupid. The movie will be the same. Fun but in a really stupid way.

It's weird, I've been subscribed to WoW for approximately 8 of the 11 years its been around, never liked the world from the beginning and I can't say it's grown on me and I can say with confidence I won't be watching this movie. Not that that's a big statement, especially since I'm the kind of hipster who's never watched any of the Star Wars movies. I admit I have no previous experience* with the Warcraft franchise though, most of the people I'm around are franchise veterans and the discussion just sails over my head.

I actually remember from the first day of playing, there was a quest where some obviously evil guy asked you to gather some things (as you do in an MMO) with no way of calling him out on it. So you do that because that's what the game expects you to do, he goes ahead and does his obviously evil thing, and you get a followup quest to undo those obviously evil consequences. The game then has the gall to say, more or less, "well I hope we've all learned something today". Indeed I did. That kind of taught me from the start that they weren't even trying to create a sensible world, and that perception has stuck with me since. The game is just about hanging out with friends and killing things with red nametags, but make no mistake, I've had a heap of fun doing that over the years.

The Street Fighter movie (the van Damme one of course) is a masterpiece however. I wish more videogame adaptations were as consciously irreverent as that was.

* Prior to WoW maybe played a couple of missions of the RTS with a borrowed copy, and predictably found it wasn't my thing.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

did you read Blizzard's script ? tongue.png

Nah, I am sure what they will deliver will be more corny, sorry, EPIC and full of one liners. Zertaul already has a dramatic "My life...for Aiur! *psionic blade ignites", I suspect Raynor will have a dramatic visor close with turn and some angel symbolism for Kerrigan.

This was an interesting read - https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2010/10/24/the-problem-with-starcraft-2s-story/

Oh yeah, there are loads of good essays on the topic of why Starcraft 2's storytelling is so terrible. I wonder if Blizzard has read some of them?

I'll still buy Legacy of the Void of course, but it's sad to see the storytelling fall so far. 

I loved Raynor and Zeratul in Star 1. In Star 2... yup, just cheesy Hollywood one-liners all round. 

I feel like my memory banks prioritize the wrong things since for the life of me I can't remember important things like appointments, phone numbers, or even people's names but I immediately realize that you did Zenn Foulhoof's quest in Teldrassil. sleeping.gif'

Startin to have same problem, can remember birthday of half of my family and remember every crap from half of games I played (and thats why its so hard for me to replay BG :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Makes sense to introduce Thrall early on if they're gonna make sequels.

As for the trailer, it all seems kinda boring doesn't it? Doesn't look completely terrible...but at the same time I'm not really feeling any hype.

Really, the orcs siding with humans.

This is still First War era, right ?

I expected humans to be done in CGI as well, seems weird how small and fragile they are compared to orcs

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"