All the Literature and Reading Stuff...

Raithe

Shame the ending was a bit cliche. But it was better than Cryptonomicon at least

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well didn't way Crypto was bad. Ending sucked and his characters were flat and there was that painful letter to Penthouse.

Was going to read Seveneves next actually.:lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well didn't way Crypto was bad. Ending sucked and his characters were flat and there was that painful letter to Penthouse.

Was going to read Seveneves next actually.:lol:

Cool! Looking forward to what your thoughts are on it! :)

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

No reading this:

51uCytBw-0L.jpg

It's about the volunteer 14th Air Force who flew for the Chinese against Japan staring in 1939

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just bought this on my Kindle. I'll start reading it at lunch today.

41WgZBlC%2BvL.jpg

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

And he ended up killed by hunters, if I recall. Heh, big surprise.

And he ended up killed by hunters, if I recall. Heh, big surprise.

star-wars-spoiled-for-crowd-when-movie-i

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

Well was a lot of articles about him. Is a nice story even if humans have to **** it up as usual

Well he lived over seven years apparently. He certainly beat the curve for a wild wolf.

Thomas Sowell

typical our reading is continuing education/professional plus a few select works o' fiction we reread 'til the bindings fall apart.  for example, got eight copies each o' dubliners and as i lay dying.  maybe throw in a highly recommended novel every couple o' years. even so, am rereading mcmaster's book.

dereliction.png?itok=4-olOruu

read it back in 2000ish.  seems like a good time to review.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hmmm... I need to add that one to my list. My Viet Nam reading list has been short I'm afraid. I have at home and have read Neil Sheehan's A Bright and Shining Lie, James Rowe's Five Years to Freedom, Marine Sniper and Goodnight Saigon by the same guy whose name I can't remember. 

At least my non-fiction list is short. I've read a few novels but only one stands out is James Webb's Fields of Fire

Edit: Charles Henderson wrote the last two. That was the name I couldn't remember. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Dispatches by Herr is a good read as well

Free Book, Aim True my Brother's, decent thriller, middle East terrorist plots to kill US president. You will need Book Funnel, you will get a code number, enter it into Book Funnel and choose your ereader type, it will download to your Kindle or whatever you choose.

https://books.bookfunnel.com/spiesandterrorists?utm_source=Instafreebie+List&utm_campaign=a1643fb5f5-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_10_05&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8e1609f340-a1643fb5f5-72309181

Most of the books listed are novellas, but Aim True is a full novel.

Edited by Fiach
  • Like 1

No reading this:

51XGGK5bPEL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's the story of the 1925 Serum run from Seward to Nome to combat a diphtheria outbreak. Today the Iditarod sled dog race is run every year to commemorate this event (partially). 

Thomas Sowell

I believe Sanderson has written all three of those books in the time SINCE George RR Martin finished A Dance With Dragons. In fact he finished the last three WoT books, two of his other projects AND all three of this series in the time we've been waiting for Rothfuss to finish his next book Doors of Stone. 

We need to find out what coffee Sanderson is drinking and send it to Martin & Rothfuss.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

The Cruelest Miles was outstanding. I highly recommend.

Now reading this:

9781501125379_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

It's a collection of stories about the relief and clean up efforts in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina.

Also reading this:

9780312605537_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

I'm half way through. I've already read two things I'm almost positive are not true. So I'm not too sure about this one. It's a good read, don't get me wrong. But I was actually in the Naval Service during the Cold War and some things I remember differently. Granted I was in a different branch, never even saw a submarine, and my experience with naval vessels was as cargo rather than operations.

Thomas Sowell

https://www.amazon.com/Life-3-0-Being-Artificial-Intelligence/dp/1101946598

Life 3.0

It tries to place itself as an introduction to the most important topic of our time, the challenges we'll be facing with the advent of artificial intelligence. I can't say that it's wrong.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've read Zeitoun! It's a great story. The other does look interesting.

Thomas Sowell

I've read Zeitoun! It's a great story. The other does look interesting.

Yeah apparently BW were the first paramilitary organisation to enter NO to "help" after Katrina, but 8ts a very interesting read.