Temple of Eothas is kicking my butt...

It's me (Cipher), Eder and Aloth at level 3. We can do most of the encounters, but not always on the first try, and it takes a lot out of us and we have to go rest. Am I supposed to have a party of 6 before I go adventuring or something? Are they just trying to remind me of what it was like to be low level in Baldur's Gate?

Also, is there a finite amount of XP/copper in this game, or can you always get more? Should I be worried about respec cost?

There is a finite amount of XP in the game, but that's hardly a concern since a party of six can cap way before the end if you're on a completionist run. Besides, if you respec, you still retain all the XP you gained until that point.

Money is not a problem unless you willfully impose restrictions on yourself or play solo, which doesn't seem to be the case. It might look like you're short on gold at the beginning, but your fortune will build up fast in Act II. In Act III, you'll be literally swimming in gold and magical items (I never sell any uniques, and always end the game north of 60,000 gp with my party fully equipped and lots of potions and food in my inventory.)

Temple of Eothas can be unforgiving with smaller parties but if you have 5 or 6 companions, you won't have many issues. You can recruit Durance without going too far off your way; Kana if you progress with the plot a bit before going back to Gilded Vale.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It's me (Cipher), Eder and Aloth at level 3. We can do most of the encounters, but not always on the first try, and it takes a lot out of us and we have to go rest. Am I supposed to have a party of 6 before I go adventuring or something? Are they just trying to remind me of what it was like to be low level in Baldur's Gate?

Also, is there a finite amount of XP/copper in this game, or can you always get more? Should I be worried about respec cost?

I had this same problem when I first started. I did not have any hirelings, it was just me and Aloth at first. However, I went around doing other side quests (eg, Tasks) until I had better gear and picked up a few more NPC's (Eder and Durance). I cleared this out with just the 4 of us, and later hired 2 more PC's (a Barbarian and a Cipher).

Spend time doing other side quests to gain a little more exp and a bit more gear. Also, the only encounter that's really difficult in the Temple is that northern Whisp battle. Most other battles are easy to manage.

That dungeon is a little hard due to the large about of spirit enemies. Due to their high deflection, you really need to be good with your mage. 

*shrugs* You could just come back after leveling up. Half the battle in PoE is knowing when you're ready for an area.

Adding an extra front liner really helps there.  A lot of the time I'll hire an extra fighter/paladin/monk type from the inn, use them for that dungeon and getting to the stronghold and then never use them again once my party fills out and just have them do all the stronghold adventures.

Adding an extra front liner really helps there.  A lot of the time I'll hire an extra fighter/paladin/monk type from the inn, use them for that dungeon and getting to the stronghold and then never use them again once my party fills out and just have them do all the stronghold adventures.

Should I hire a bunch of guys while I am low level to do stronghold adventures later? I don't know anything about the stronghold.

Should I hire a bunch of guys while I am low level to do stronghold adventures later? I don't know anything about the stronghold.

No, your story companions can handle them well enough if you don't want to create any.  But if you do want to create someone for short term help, it gives them something to do the rest of the game when you don't need them in your party anymore.