Bug: No save games in v2.03.0788 -steam

Veho

Question

I've made multiple characters in the game and none of my saved games are anywhere on my HDD.

Both the Continue and Load buttons are greyed out in the main menu of the game.

I can create a new game, save and load in game, but as soon as I exit the game the save files vanish.

The folder for save files for Pillars of Eternity is non existant in my C:\Users\User\my games or C:\Users\User\SavedGames.

I have tried all the different fixes listed on this forum and on other forums as well to no success.

Including: Reinstalling the game, deleting local game files, deleting files in the AppData folders, deleting a path in RegEdit, running Steam as admin, copying the temp save files from the AppData folder etc.

The game doesn't seem to write the save file to disk at all.

I did find a temporary save file in C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\Obsidian Entertainment\TempSaveData but as soon as I exited the game client the data in that folder gets deleted and nothing is saved.

In the output_log.txt there is a line which says: Error loading save game cache!

Is there a solution for this problem? Are people except me still having this issue? What is going on? I just purchased this game and enjoyed it until this bug which makes it completely pointless to play.

I've attached the output_log.txt and DxDiag.txt and also included dropbox links for the files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fg8s33zkthvvqv1/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3ir8yjtjzziu6a/output_log.txt?dl=0

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

14 answers to this question

Hey guys,

Just got an update on the issue. First back up your save files and place them somewhere you can access them later. Then Delete the entire Pillars of Eternity Save folder. Launch the game and make a new game. See if you can save a game and load it. 

For some reason one of your saves have been corrupted and it is possibly corrupting your other saves. You might have to go through each save one by one to see which ones are corrupted if not all of them. 

I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you guys for your patience. 

Hey!

It finally works for me. I had somehow missed that PoE writes it save files to a location I didn't anticipate considering my other steam games writes to other locations. So now I did as you said. I deleted the whole folder of save files and now I can save and load again... For now atleast.

My other games writes to C:\Users\Username\Documents\ but by chance I stumbled upon a folder containing the save files in C:\Users\Username\Saved Games.

So after I found this folder it was as easy as follow the steps you described in your latest post and now I can save and load again.

Thank you for your help and patience Aarik D.

Hey!

Yes, I am launching Steam as an Admin, but I can't launch the game.exe as admin. Because I can't launch it straight from the .exe.

I get this runtime error message when I try start the game up through the PillarsOfEternity.exe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rs30lox7bhdl0vz/ErrorPoE.png?dl=0

I can run other games as admin by running them through their respective .exe. But PoE I have to run through Steam or it won't even start.

I have 302 GB free of 912 GB on my HDD so there should be enough space for some save files. The problem is the game itself don't seem to write anything to disk with or without Steam Cloud Sync.

I logged in to Pillars of Eternity through Origin and received a message that my computer and cloud storage were not in sync.  This has happened before and I picked the most recent.  When I did this again, the game loaded and there were no saved games.  Considering my 300+hours game played, I am not happy with this….

Hey everyone,

So I went into the game earlier today and suddenly the continue and load option are no longer available.

I googled it and went into the directory's where the save files should of been located, nothing is there.

It seem's they somehow got deleted?

Does that mean that around the 40 hours I pumped into this are gone? I sighted a Steam Cloud sync with save games but still, nothing.

I still want to play but I feel starting again and this happening again would not be a "good thing".

Any help?

Hello Renenthera,

Welcome to the Forums and I apologize for the inconvenience. When you opened up Origin, did the game update? Can you check your save game folder to see if your save if located in the folder? 

Could you please upload your save folder, an output log, and a system spec file via dropbox so I can take a look? If you have any difficulty locating those files, please click on the link in my signature. 

Thank you for your support. 

Hello Veho,

Did you happen as a result of updating to 2.03 or after? Have you tried disabling Steam Cloud? Have you verified your steam cache? In your Steam library, right click Pillars of Eternity > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. Run Windows Update and see if any of those critical files help with the runtime issues. 

EDIT: Found this on the steam forums, it might help. http://steamcommunity.com/app/291650/discussions/0/496880203081131448/

Hello Theoruin,

Welcome to the forums! I apologize for the inconvenience. Have you checked your save folder location to see if the files are still there? Please click on the link in my signature if you are having difficulty locating it. 

Could you also please upload your save folder, output log, and a system spec file via dropbox and post the link here?

Did you just patch the game today or was it already patched? Try disabling Steam Cloud to see if that fixes the problem. One user said they closed out the game and steam completely and he was able to load his games. 

Thank you for your support. 

Edit: Merge threads.

Hello Veho,

Did you happen as a result of updating to 2.03 or after? Have you tried disabling Steam Cloud? Have you verified your steam cache? In your Steam library, right click Pillars of Eternity > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. Run Windows Update and see if any of those critical files help with the runtime issues. 

EDIT: Found this on the steam forums, it might help. http://steamcommunity.com/app/291650/discussions/0/496880203081131448/

I've verified the integrity and I get a message that the game is healthy.

Windows is updated. No updates available.

I'm at a loss here, it's so weird. Because my other games in the steam library works fine and manages to write the save files to disk. But PoE for some reason just don't.

Did you happen as a result of updating to 2.03 or after?

When did the 2.03 patch go live? 26th of Oct? Well anyway, I bought the game on the 30th of Oct and I don't recall there being any updates to the game since then.

Did you happen as a result of updating to 2.03 or after?

When did the 2.03 patch go live? 26th of Oct? Well anyway, I bought the game on the 30th of Oct and I don't recall there being any updates to the game since then.

Then you should be good on that issue. When you uninstalled the game, did you do that through Steam or through Program Features in the Control Panel? 

If you deleted the game from Steam, I would suggest uninstalling the game through the Control Panel and then delete the game folder in the Steam directory. Then reinstall the game and see if that fixes your issue. 

Have you made an exception for Steam and Pillars in your anti-virus and firewall? 

Then you should be good on that issue. When you uninstalled the game, did you do that through Steam or through Program Features in the Control Panel? 

If you deleted the game from Steam, I would suggest uninstalling the game through the Control Panel and then delete the game folder in the Steam directory. Then reinstall the game and see if that fixes your issue. 

Have you made an exception for Steam and Pillars in your anti-virus and firewall? 

I did these things and still no save files. It's so weird, I can't understand why this happens.

Hey guys,

Just got an update on the issue. First back up your save files and place them somewhere you can access them later. Then Delete the entire Pillars of Eternity Save folder. Launch the game and make a new game. See if you can save a game and load it. 

For some reason one of your saves have been corrupted and it is possibly corrupting your other saves. You might have to go through each save one by one to see which ones are corrupted if not all of them. 

I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you guys for your patience.