Weapons - Are there 'best' weapons for a particular class?

I am a bit overwhelming by all of the weapon types. I'm a Paladin, and so I am trying various weapons but the damage is pretty mediocre - still early in the game though. Are there any guides out there that talk about weapons?

• Like 1

I am a bit overwhelming by all of the weapon types. I'm a Paladin, and so I am trying various weapons but the damage is pretty mediocre - still early in the game though. Are there any guides out there that talk about weapons?

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Weapon

Weapon are best matched to their corresponding damage types (piercing, slashing, crushing) against the specific strengths and weakness of your opponent armor type.

Personally, I like the estoc as it is essentially bypasses armor to a good degree.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Weapon are best matched to their corresponding damage types (piercing, slashing, crushing) against the specific strengths and weakness of your opponent armor type.

Personally, I like the estoc as it is essentially bypasses armor to a good degree.

I am having trouble against Forest Lurkers. My Paladin does like 1-6 damage - so that can't be right.

How do I match the weapon with the foe? 

I'll try the Estoc now too (EDIT: I don't have one, haha)

Edited by katie

Going by those I normally use:

Great Sword

1) Tidefall

2) Hours of St. Rumbalt (for crit builds)

3) St Ydwen's Redeemer (best weapon against Vessels)

Estoc - All unique Estocs are pretty much great; can't go wrong with them.

Pollaxe - Half Mast.

War Bow

1) Sabra Marie

2) Cloudpiercer

3) Borresaine

Hunting Bow

1) Stormcaller

2) Lenas Er

Sceptre - Puitente mes Principi

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

This link gives you information about the various weapons and their properties --including damage type.

This link does the same, except for armor.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Armor

In the table from that armor link, you'll see that Mail armor has a base Damage Reduction of 9. However, it has a 150% bonus protection against slashing weapons (like axes) but suffer a 50% penalty against crushing weapons (such as maces).

Additionally, If you go to your in-game journal screen, you'll see an option that takes you to your bestiary. As you defeat more enemies of a specific type, you'll start to gain information about their strengths and weaknesses. This information also includes what damage type best effects them. You can then match the best weapon of that specific damage type to be more effective in combat. 

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Forest Lurkers actually have a base 8 Damage Reduction but have 16 Damage Reduction against piercing weapons. They hate fire though (4 Damage Reduction).  Burn them.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Forest_Lurker

• Like 1

I am having trouble against Forest Lurkers. My Paladin does like 1-6 damage - so that can't be right.

How do I match the weapon with the foe? 

I'll try the Estoc now too (EDIT: I don't have one, haha)

If you are early in the game, you probably met the Forest Lurkers in Black Meadow. Forest Lurkers generally are tough for an early (~lvl 3) party in comparison with the normal enemies you will meet in the same map. You can go back to fight them once you gained another level or 2. Otherwise, they have piercing resistance and are weak against fire.

Truth is all weapons are good and can be super effective if put in the hands of a character with the right build to use them.  That said.... uh yeah that ^.  Estocs are great overall weapons due to their strong DR bypass and the piercing damage type which can snake by a lot of DR out there from the get go.

Most of the time if you think about enemies logically though it is clear what will work well.  For forest lurkers... well they are big mounds of walking plant.  So kill it with fire, or in a pinch slashing weapons.  Even better.... slashing weapons with fire enchants.

• Like 1

make sure you look at the enemy DR and carry 2 sets of weapons with different damage type. Later on you will run into enemies with immuninty to damage types.

For example if you run forest troll you would switch to piercing weapon

then when you run into lurkers you switch to slashing.

for an early estoc go east of black meadow and pick up the companion there. he carries and estoc.

Edited by dudex

Are you having trouble hitting the forest lurkers, or having trouble causing damage when you hit them? In the latter case you need a boost in Accuracy or to cause an affliction which lowers the lurker's Deflection. Check what abilities Durance has (if you're playing with him or with some priest) that can help. Alternatively, wizards have spells that cause afflictions which lower deflection. Open the "Cyclopedia" ingame and look for afflictions that either lower Resolve or lower Deflection directly.

If you can hit the lurker without problems, yes, Fan of Flames, Rolling Flame, Fireball, Crucible of the Soul, anything that causes fire damage will work better than average.

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

make sure you look at the enemy DR and carry 2 sets of weapons with different damage type. Later on you will run into enemies with immuninty to damage types.

for an early estoc go east of black meadow and pick up the companion there. he carries and estoc.

^This!

And I would generally suggest that the one go with either a slash or pierce weapon and a crushing weapon.  Note that some weapons with have two damage types, and will choose the most effective one when it applies the damage.  While often not the most damaging of weapons, these dual damage type weapons are very flexible when it comes to this issue.

^This!

And I would generally suggest that the one go with either a slash or pierce weapon and a crushing weapon.  Note that some weapons with have two damage types, and will choose the most effective one when it applies the damage.  While often not the most damaging of weapons, these dual damage type weapons are very flexible when it comes to this issue.

A good reason to open extra weapon slots as well...2 for melee 1 for ranged! :)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

^This!

Entirely true, Wanderon.  To me, 3 weapons slots is the optimal number for most characters, though particularly front liners.  One Pierce or slash weapon, one blunt weapon, and a hard hitting ranged weapon (i.e. not a bow or magical implement).  Of course, for me, this is a play style issue because I like to open up battles with a ranged volley from all of my characters (except anyone casting a spell).  With any luck, it's possible to take down one or two enemies before they can even get into melee range.  Though I can see how other people would prefer to do things differently.

Still, I kinda wish that the "warrior" classes (i.e. fighter, paladin, barbarian, and ranger) got 3 weapon slots as part of the class package.  It would seriously reduce the pressure I feel when wanting to create a "warrior" class character to pick Island Aumaua for the extra weapon slot.

^This!

Entirely true, Wanderon.  To me, 3 weapons slots is the optimal number for most characters, though particularly front liners.  One Pierce or slash weapon, one blunt weapon, and a hard hitting ranged weapon (i.e. not a bow or magical implement).  Of course, for me, this is a play style issue because I like to open up battles with a ranged volley from all of my characters (except anyone casting a spell).  With any luck, it's possible to take down one or two enemies before they can even get into melee range.  Though I can see how other people would prefer to do things differently.

Still, I kinda wish that the "warrior" classes (i.e. fighter, paladin, barbarian, and ranger) got 3 weapon slots as part of the class package.  It would seriously reduce the pressure I feel when wanting to create a "warrior" class character to pick Island Aumaua for the extra weapon slot.

Agreed Crucis - barring that maybe they could open BOTH extra weapon slots for a single talent :)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I wouldn't say any weapon is best for a class, really, more based on what you want to do with the class. (Except Ranger, where clearly, it's Stormcaller all the way).

I'll just list out what I normally use weapons that could be considered 'best' for practical builds. Also note, you'll need 3-6 weapons for the party, so even if one weapon in the list stands a bit above the others, you'll likely have room for both.

Dual Wield:

Damage

Purgatory + Resolution- Dual Sabers for high damage trait +crit enchant, which is 3rd best damage enchant, and space to be made Superb.

Spelltongue + March Steel - 33% more base attacks than above, then boosted by 12.5%. Low base damage makes high damage mods +DR pen a necessity

Monk Fist + Monk Fist - Fast weapon speed, but slow weapon damage combination makes up for lack of lash or enchantments.

Control

Rimecutter + We-Toki - Prone on crit, Speed to give 7% more damage/faster prone, inherent crit trait is one of the better weapon traits, and can be SuperLashed.

Strike Hard + Godansthunyr - +5 acc to all attacking target, speed for faster stun/damage. Not as good as the above pair, as can't be SuperLashed, damage choice isn't as useful a weapon trait, and Stun on crit is actually a fake stun, and does nothing but CC the mob, with no stat penalty, while prone on crit is a real prone for +10 acc.

Cladhaliath + Vile Loner's Lance - +5 acc to all attacking target, stun on crit, +10 acc to a friend or +4 acc +.25m for user. Spear +5 acc Trait is very nice for stun weapons as well. No speed mod, and can't SuperLash Cladhalith, are this pairs downside.

Unforgiven + Shatterstar - 33% more swings to stun is pretty huge, and also 5% further boost through speed mod are the upside. Down side is low base damage, worthless weapon trait, no additional acc boost, and inability to SuperLash Shatter star.

Two Hand:

Not quite the clear dichotomy between damage and control here, as most of the great weapons do a little of both, or support.

Damage/Support, but no Control

Tidefall - Wounding is decent here, as slower swing lets it get minimize wasted dot time, making it 15%~ or so post mod boost. Draining has limited use, but not worthless. Can be  given SuperLash. Choice of Damage remains lacklaster weapon trait.

Blade of the Endless Paths - 13% post mod boost from speed, +10 acc to one ally on nearest target, and +5 post mod damage on top with very nice Estoc trait. Inability to SuperLash limits it from breaking out, and limiting it more to builds trying to take advantage of the marking effect.

Llarawen's Stick - 13% post mod boost form speed, and Reach trait lets one shed armor for me attacks. Only 2hander with Speed+Superlash gives it a definite edge in damage over the rest.

Control

Hours of St. Rumbalt - Prone on Crit is still amazing, and crit enchant is still good, with room to SuperLash. Damage choice remains a somewhat meh trait. Basically the 2hand version of Rime+Toki.

Tall Grass - Prone on Crit is great, 5% more Crits plays well into the plan, and Reach is a great trait lets one drop some plate for more damage to make up for lack of dmg enchants.

Mabec's Morning Star - Stun on Crit is still nice, and Morning Star trait of stronger interrupts is great, as only need a hit for those. Best used in builds/party situations where crits won't be as likely. Sadly can't be SuperLashed.

Ranged:

Depending on how many ranged folks in party, or if using sub weapons for opening strikes, there might not be enough 'best' ranged weapons to go around for a party make up. Any old Arquebus/Arbalest enchanted up can fill in wholes, or course.

Damage

The Rain of Godagh Field - Warbow for higher base damage with speed enchant and can be SuperLashed. Simple and deadly effective.

Lead Spitter - Rending is a massive boost for Blunderbuss, and penetrating shot is amazing. The speed penalty is lessened considerably by how much reload is of the attack equation, and unlike the other reloading weapons who only get +5 added to high base damage, Blunderbuss gets +30. Can also be SuperLashed.

Stormcaller - Amazing weapon, chance of extra damage procs, plus 6 DR penetration on a fast weapon. Downside is no Lash, but damage can be boosted with Heart of the Storm talent to compensate.

Control

Puitente med Principi - Fast speed, knocks down on crit. Not much damage here, but lets a caster help a stun plan after tossing out the buffs/debuffs.

Rod of Pale Shades - Slow Speed, Stun on crit, +5 acc to all attacking target. Lesser stat effect and slower speed brings it down, but bonus team acc is nice.

Support

Lenas Er - Rending is a nice dmg boost on fast weapons,  and it gives team wide +5 acc, as well as being SuperLashed. Lowbase damage and only one damage mod prevents it from being a high damage weapon on its own.

Cgadob's Hazel - Marking, to give a caster/damage focused ranged a 10 acc boost, and fast attack speed to keep up with updating new targets. Not much damage to add to party though.

Pliambo per Casitas - +5 group wide acc on target, additional +10 to a heavy ranged unit, as well as high damage associated with Arquebus. Downside is slow attack speed can make it hard to keep up on every target when team is mowing through enemies.

Scon Mica's Roar - Subtly one of the best weapons in the game. Gives +30(!) acc to the entire team on the target, and gives a partial boost to itself on the opening shot, as well. Downside is same as above, long shoot times limits it's use in high target situations, but on anything with substantial, this will let the team tear it down.

Pretty much if using any of the above as part of team/build playing to its strengths, any of this will do as a classes 'best' weapon, at least I've found.

• Like 4