Starting new game after patch - what's your favorite group of companions?

After patching to 2.03 I plan to start a new game (PoE + WM1) rather than chance issues with current games - what's your favorite group of PoE companions and how soon do you try to get to them?

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

My final team (PotD) is usually:

1.) Devil of Caroc - I get her last maybe level 11. I like the character, voice acting and I need a Rogue to handle the highest end traps and locks. Before I get her my main is always the mechanic no matter the class.

2.)Zahua - I get him at level 9 when I start the upgraded White March. I like Monks, his stats are pretty good only wish his level one pick was Swift Strikes instead of Torment's Reach. It'd open up more build possibilities with two handed weapons which would do better with Force of Anguish instead of Torment's Reach which is best with dual wielding.

3.) Pellagrinna - I get her when I first get to Defiance Bay, maybe level 5 or 6. Paladins are great team players.

4.) Kana - I get him maybe level 3 or 4, basically as soon as I can survive the trip clearing the maps as I go. My team is heavy on the melee and Kana helps with the fire weapon chant, scaring the enemy and summons, especially at low levels. He is not bad with a big two handed Pike and an opening arquebus shot.

5.) Pot luck - Sagani with Stormcaller is strong, Grieving Mother with the speed quarterstaff and Stormcaller, Hiravois or Aloth. Sagani is my first choice, I like the disposable pet and Stormcaller is godly with a ranger. Plus everything is per encounter, resting only when damaged.

I try to fill up to six companions early via hiring mercs and drop them as I find the story companions. I have the game set to leave them at level one and let me do all the ability picks.

• Like 2

My favorite set up includes Zahua, Aloth, Durance, Grieving Mother.

As for the other character, it really comes down to what you're playing as your main. Edér or Hiravias would be my choices.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I too like having my main as mechanic regardless of class altho there are occasions when I choose not to and add a rogue merc for that purpose - it would be nice if a/the companion rogue was available earlier. I often add a paladin merc if I am not playing one as well until I get Pallegina. So far I have only taken one group to level 9ish and fooled briefly with WM - I with that group -

I have not done any Act 3 content yet and only cleared one dungeon in WM (on normal) (probably due to chronic restartitus especially when a new patch arrives)

I generally play on hard and that's no doubt where this team will be - I really have a hard time letting go of companions no doubt in large part because I have not really seen that much of their content yet :p So I try to tell myself they are just doing guard duty at the keep. Decisions decisions...:)

I'm on my 2nd play through, started over after WM1 was released, so my first group got to the beginning of chapt 3, and my current group is still in chapt 2 of the main story but exploring the WM (I just have this tendency to start a fresh game when dlc/expansions/or major content upgrades happen).

Anyway, my main character in both my 1st & current play is a ranger.  I know, a lot of people think they are the weaker class, but I've just always played a ranger type character going back to the D&D days.  He is also my main mechanics/locks/traps/sneak guy.  I know the rouge is better at those skills, but I rarely play a true rouge character, and until WM1, there wasn't a rouge available as a companion.

So, along with my ranger, my 2 main companions are:  Eder (that guy with a shield can hold off an army without falling), and Durrance (gotta have a priest, and he's such a cynical bastard).  They are always with me.

The other 3 characters I, so far, tend to swap back and forth with.  I'll always have either Aloth or Hiravias for their AOE spells, though I lean toward Aloth because he can have some funny interactions with Eder, and he was the first companion I met.

Sagani sometimes, at least for her personal quest, but having 2 rangers can be a liability in some cases.  She holds her own, and I can set up some nice crossfire situations with her using a bow on one side, and me with a bow on the other.  Also sending both our animal companions out wide left and right to flank, then send them in hard behind the line to take out a spell caster.

Kana sometimes.  I like Kana and I like his chanter buffs, and during a long battle, his summoning spells can save the party.

Palaginia sometimes.  She can hold a line with Eder when you need some beef on the front line.  Her auras help, and she can heal small amounts of damage.  I find that her might needs buffed up a bit, as her might is somewhat low.  She's my 2-handed weapon companion, with Eder being the 1-handed & shield guy.

Grieving Mother sometimes.  I really find her an interesting character, if a bit sad, and I am still working on her personal quest.  Her mind control spells can save a party.  I'm still learning how to best place in combat, as her spells are almost always "slow" to cast, and have a very short range, most are under 10m.

Zahua I'm using while I do the WM, whether I use him much beyond the WM is uncertain.  At first I thought he would be a liability, but he can clock some enemies with his fists and monk abilities.  Unfortunately, some of those abilities aren't available if he uses a weapon(s).  And sometimes he has to because there are several enemies that are completely immune to "crush damage", which is what his fists/feet deal.

The Devil.  I'm really starting to like her, and I enjoyed the difficult decisions I had to make during her personal quest.  It touches on the whole animancy subject; is it good or bad, does it abuse peoples souls, ect.  I really think she might be a good companion to use in a party with Grieving Mother.  Just seems like there should be some interesting interactions with them together.  I'm also hopeful that the Devil's quest can expand into the WM2 expansion.  Without giving anything away, there was some hint about it at the end of a conversation with her after I completed her current quest in WM1.

Those are my thoughts on companions anyway.  I don't have a set party outside of myself and Eder and Durrance.

Since the BG1 days, I've always wanted to recruit and have a party that contained every companion I met.  It just seems that if I were adventuring/questing, and I met someone who wanted to help, I should be able to have them with me and not have to dismiss one for another.  I know why it's not possible, the balancing of combat would probably be impossible.  How could you balance combat for a party of 6 as well as a party of 12?  I think it would be awesome, but it's not gonna happen.

I agree with the concept of being able to have all companions being impossible to implement but it would be my choice if they could :p

Rolled up a Barbarian and just picked up Aloth and Eder - I find barbys difficult to keep alive early on - this one used up all his potions doing the chef quest solo on his way to Gilded Vale - I may set him aside for the moment and look at a different Main up to the same point in the story before deciding who will continue on. :)

Zahua I'm using while I do the WM, whether I use him much beyond the WM is uncertain.  At first I thought he would be a liability, but he can clock some enemies with his fists and monk abilities.  Unfortunately, some of those abilities aren't available if he uses a weapon(s).  And sometimes he has to because there are several enemies that are completely immune to "crush damage", which is what his fists/feet deal.

All Monk abilities work with weapons as well as with fists. You can go with two handed swords, dual sabres whatever, they all work. Some Monk abilities only add crushing damage like Torment's Reach and Flagellant's Path but the main damage type will be whatever weapon you are using. For my fist Monk Juggernaut I just have a pair of spears on switch to handle the many crush immunes.

All Monk abilities work with weapons as well as with fists. You can go with two handed swords, dual sabres whatever, they all work. Some Monk abilities only add crushing damage like Torment's Reach and Flagellant's Path but the main damage type will be whatever weapon you are using. For my fist Monk Juggernaut I just have a pair of spears on switch to handle the many crush immunes.

Thanks, I guess I should have studied Zahua a bit harder before I made that statement, he hasn't been in my party very long.  Could have sworn there were a couple of his abilities that weren't available if he dual wielded weapons.  The fact that he can dual wield is great, because I have so many extra 1-handed weapons that are unique and just not getting used enough.

Looks like I settled in on a female wood elf ranger 18/8/12/18/12/12 with wolf and we have Eder, Aloth, a merc Island Aumaua Paladin, and just picked up Durance.

I think my plan is going to be to get to Dyrwood fairly early and grab the druid and GM while keeping Eder, Durance, and perhaps the merc/Pallegina sending Aloth, Sag and the chanter to the keep. Subject to change without notice of course... 8)

Like most I restarted a few times, but I finally settled on a lovely group...

Frontline:

Moon Godlike Paladin (main)

Eder

Fire Godlike Monk (Juggernaut build) (Hired Merc)

Second Row:

Savannah Folk Chanter (Hired Merc)

Back Row:

Aloth

Durance

At one point I had a Death Godlike Barbarian instead of Eder, and it was fun carnage. But I missed Eder too much lol

Like most I restarted a few times, but I finally settled on a lovely group...

Frontline:

Moon Godlike Paladin (main)

Eder

Fire Godlike Monk (Juggernaut build) (Hired Merc)

Second Row:

Savannah Folk Chanter (Hired Merc)

Back Row:

Aloth

Durance

At one point I had a Death Godlike Barbarian instead of Eder, and it was fun carnage. But I missed Eder too much lol

I am looking forward to constructing themed parties using most or all mercs in the party but not until I explore the companions a lot more than I have so far...:)

• Like 1

As of Pillars of Eternity, I enjoy playing a Mountain Dwarf Druid with a Mountain Dwarf Knight as the first companion. "Knight" here means it's a tough fighter with a good balance between various defenses, shield usage and axe/sword focus.

I only keep room in the party for two NPCs. Typically Durance is in the party always. Strangely, in this game, I've yet to create a priest as main character ... cannot tell why I haven't done that so far. Durance offers everything I need from a priest perhaps.

Eder is entertaining and good to keep for a longer time, too. The only problem is ... a hired adventurer fighter is more capable than Eder.

NPCs I send home early: Aloth, Kana, Sagani, Pallegina, Hiravias

And Zahua and Devil of Caroc won't fit into my party this time either ... since it's my druid that is the mechanic.

And Grieving Mother ... I've had here in my first play-through with give NPCs ... but we never managed to connect to eachother. I didn't like her and her story.

Edited by Merina
  • Like 1

Bertoldo - a rogue: shoot pistol, hit hard and run fast

Eder - sword wielding guy for smashing, smashing to goo

Pallegina - smashing wingwoman (pun not intended) with paladinial benefits

Grieving Mother - throw arrows from far away, also mindwaves

Hiravias - throw bolts from far away, also firecrackers

Aloth - throw everything you got from far away and then some

asap

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I've pretty much settled into the same crew for my numerous play throughs;

Eder- Dual wield front line, more offense focus

Pallegina - Dual wield front line. more defense

Sagani - Range in back, Fox up front

Kana - Depends on PC; up front with SnS if ranged, back with Roar if melee

G.Mother - Debuffer in back

I'd likely use Zahua and Devil more (and do swap them in later), but as I save WM for last, I don't get them until terribly late in the game. I don't use Aloth, Durance, or Hirvias much anymore, just do to how much stronger the casters are.

• Like 1

Messier-31 & Teioh_White: So from looking at your party composition, neither of you have a priest in you party? During my several hundred hours of play, I've found a priest (Durrance) to be essential for his buff and preventative spells. How do you guys get around this?

Messier-31 & Teioh_White: So from looking at your party composition, neither of you have a priest in you party? During my several hundred hours of play, I've found a priest (Durrance) to be essential for his buff and preventative spells. How do you guys get around this?

A priest is essential? Guess I manage without him 'cause I didn't know that :shifty:

Seriously though. The game was designed with the aim of having freedom in your party. There are no weapon/armor restrictions and there are no classes that are necessary to advance. You don't want a priest? Fine. You don't want a rogue? Okay. You want 6 orlan monks? Go ahead! Some encounters may need a different approach, but overall I manage. Also this doesn't mean that I didn't have Durance in my party for some time. I just throw him away when I get bored of him.

That's it. There's no other secret.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...