Fallout 4 is coming soon.. is there a new OB Fallout Scheduled?

dava4444

After some 100+ hours I am finishing it. To me F4 is a shallow game with no soul at all. I would give it no more than six out of ten. And I am not buying any DLC or anything else that comes from Bethesda, sorry. I love RPGs and I have been playing on PC since the ms-dos days. Sure, I enjoyed the older Elder Scrolls titles (even Oblivion and Skyrim) but this casualized consolized poor pc port is overrated and overhyped in my humble opinion. I feel cheated by Bethesda.

I have encountered a good measure of bugs too. The main plot/story doesn't even make sense a lot of the time. The worst thing is that you don't really care about anything in this game. Everything seems forced on you, down your throat. There is no action -> consequence here. You travel the wasteland with your hand held tight all the time, probably by an iron hand. The only satisfying thing is to wander off alone and explore just for the sake of it. Yes, the companions are also annoying as hell.

The graphics sure look dated, but they are not an issue for me. Sound and music is okay too.

The things I dislike the most is the UI/interface/inventory management that are easily the worst controls ever made on a PC.

Shame on you Bethesda. Yes, you learnt how to milk the Fallout franchise but in doing so you ruined it.

Dunno... I don't want to be the one, but... yet you played it over 100 hours, so all in all it really can't be that bad. You could feel cheated by Bethesda if you bought it for 60€ and then stopped playing after 5 or so hours. But over 100? Even if the game is shait, feeling cheated at this point seems unreasonable unless someone had you play the game at gunpoint or something.

You can only judge a game after finishing it 7 times.

StatlerandWaldorf%282%29.JPG

• Like 2

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

After some 100+ hours I am finishing it. To me F4 is a shallow game with no soul at all. I would give it no more than six out of ten. And I am not buying any DLC or anything else that comes from Bethesda, sorry. I love RPGs and I have been playing on PC since the ms-dos days. Sure, I enjoyed the older Elder Scrolls titles (even Oblivion and Skyrim) but this casualized consolized poor pc port is overrated and overhyped in my humble opinion. I feel cheated by Bethesda.

I have encountered a good measure of bugs too. The main plot/story doesn't even make sense a lot of the time. The worst thing is that you don't really care about anything in this game. Everything seems forced on you, down your throat. There is no action -> consequence here. You travel the wasteland with your hand held tight all the time, probably by an iron hand. The only satisfying thing is to wander off alone and explore just for the sake of it. Yes, the companions are also annoying as hell.

The graphics sure look dated, but they are not an issue for me. Sound and music is okay too.

The things I dislike the most is the UI/interface/inventory management that are easily the worst controls ever made on a PC.

Shame on you Bethesda. Yes, you learnt how to milk the Fallout franchise but in doing so you ruined it.

Dunno... I don't want to be the one, but... yet you played it over 100 hours, so all in all it really can't be that bad. You could feel cheated by Bethesda if you bought it for 60€ and then stopped playing after 5 or so hours. But over 100? Even if the game is shait, feeling cheated at this point seems unreasonable unless someone had you play the game at gunpoint or something.

I don't feel as strongly as the person you quoted -- I'm actually enjoying FO4, despite my complaints above -- but just from a general perspective, I'm a completionist.  So if I start playing a game, I'll finish it.  The only exception is if a game is so truly and horribly bad that I can't make myself slog through it.  But I've finished a bunch of "so-so" games, and felt really disappointed with their quality at the end of it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

You can only judge a game after finishing it 7 times.

StatlerandWaldorf%282%29.JPG

I have already finished it. And does it count I started it four times? :facepalm:

• Like 1

The one that bugs me is getting the "this settlement is being attacked" message, you go to that settlement and half the time nothing seems to actually be attacking it. Or maybe 5 synths are. They get killed. You wander around for 5 minutes and nothing else happens. You fast travel away, and then promptly get a "you failed to defend settlement" message.

That or you don't even get a message. I've received a message of failing to protect when I was never notified that it was under attack. Like WTF?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

ScreenShot34.jpg

This is the first time that I found the 10MM pistol worth keeping. This is the original gun that I took from Vault 111, modified of course. Its a good backup weapon to my sniper and plasma weapons that I keep with me. Good at killing zombies and muties.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Steam says I have 25 hours logged, but realistically I've played maybe half that because I've got the habit of tabbing out for hours and forgetting that something is running. Even then I don't feel cheated as such, in that I knew when buying it there was this very risk of the game turning out the exact same way as its predecessor. But I chose to take that risk because I wanted to be part of the discussion (and because I had an eBay voucher I needed to spend).

For what it's worth, I've fired the game up maybe three times over that past week, and each time I stopped playing within half an hour. So I think I'm done with the game for the time being. If I had to boil the reason down to one simple sentence, the reason would be that I just don't want to play this character they've handed me. Let it be recorded that I perished in the blast rather than choose to go down into the vault, because that it the most appropriate end for that character.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Steam says I have 25 hours logged, but realistically I've played maybe half that because I've got the habit of tabbing out for hours and forgetting that something is running. Even then I don't feel cheated as such, in that I knew when buying it there was this very risk of the game turning out the exact same way as its predecessor. But I chose to take that risk because I wanted to be part of the discussion (and because I had an eBay voucher I needed to spend).

For what it's worth, I've fired the game up maybe three times over that past week, and each time I stopped playing within half an hour. So I think I'm done with the game for the time being. If I had to boil the reason down to one simple sentence, the reason would be that I just don't want to play this character they've handed me. Let it be recorded that I perished in the blast rather than choose to go down into the vault, because that it the most appropriate end for that character.

I think F4 perfectly exempifies the recent trend in AAA RPGs in that they are so painfully mediocre. They're not bad per se, but there're just so very few things to get excited about in them... You wonder around, you kill stuff but at the end of the day it all just feels meaningless. 

• Like 1

I think the core of a good game is there. But it's hidden behind an introduction so painful I could no longer bear it. Everyone loves car analogies right? Fallout 4 is like going for a road trip in a rusty old van that breaks down every few miles. It doesn't matter how wonderful the world outside is when you can't experience it because of the vehicle you're saddled with. I want to play the game as someone, anyone else, not this excuse for a "character" that Bethesda has forced on me.

Blame it on the voice acting, the dialogue wheel, the pre-war gimmick, anything. It's not any single one of those, but all of them. What I know is that the end result is just someone I have no interest whatsoever in playing. And who, despite my best efforts, can't ignore.

The mechanics are largely fine. Someone could make a really good game with some relatively modest changes. Maybe it'll be a modder. Maybe it'll be another, subcontracted developer. And maybe then I'll play this game again.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Deliverer is best 10mm pistol.

I got an 'instigating' 10 mm pistol, does double damage on the first hit if target is at full health. With all the other sneak attack bonuses comes to dmg x 5 or 6. and you can shoot three or four times before the target even reacts and you lose the sneak attack modifier. Deliverer has vats bonuses, you rarely ever use VATs if you are one shooting everything from stealth. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I can't seem to find Deacon anywhere.  I sent him back to Sanctuary Hills, but I can't seem to find him wandering around the place.

Piper seems to have taken up gardening, though.  She's always tending to the vegetable garden with a shovel in her hands.  Strong just walks down the street talking about eating things.  And my town must have a bunch of dirty old men, because Cait keeps grumping about wanting to do damage to the next person who asks her to sleep with them.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

so, this let's player is traveling with a BoS paladin. they come across a synth fighting a BoS vertibird. the player can't get involved because he is allied with both factions. the vertibird finally goes down. the paladin companion fails to acknowledge that. the player approaches the wreckage and begins looting the bodies. "Good work. Don't leave anything behind", says the paladin. 

I don't know if I should laugh or cry...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

so, this let's player is traveling with a BoS paladin. they come across a synth fighting a BoS vertibird. the player can't get involved because he is allied with both factions. the vertibird finally goes down. the paladin companion fails to acknowledge that. the player approaches the wreckage and begins looting the bodies. "Good work. Don't leave anything behind", says the paladin. 

I don't know if I should laugh or cry...

What makes it even stranger is that it is in my estimation the most likely player choice that will lead you on missions where all the ememies are only hostile to your companion. If you solo you can just hack them down while they stand there and take it. I wonder why. There are lots of options to make it work. If there was a real risk and a consequence to blowing your cover, if you had to chase down witnesses, if someone blackmailed you. 

So, are they just rubbish at coding ? what's the explanation.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

So, are they just rubbish at coding ? what's the explanation.

The explanation is why spend time and resources doing something better, when you can just say "screw it" and still get more or less the same sales. Some make money to make games, and some make games to make money, that's about it really.

• Like 3

I'm no programmer, but I'm guessing that making faction interaction work correctly in this type of game is extremely difficult.  There are plenty of design decisions I question in Bethesda games, mind you, but the idea that they are a bunch of hacks just looking to cash in seems pretty unlikely.

It's the same reason any remotely quest-relevant NPC is invulnerable, the same reason you can't refuse quests, the same reason having to do a bit of arbitrary settlement management is mandatory, and why stats and perks don't matter. Because hey we made this awesome stuff, come look at this awesome stuff, you totally won't want to miss this awesome stuff.

Locking out the player from anything makes the game look smaller and if there's one think they like to trumpet and gain fawning praise over is the apparent massive, expansive scale of their games. They know who butters their bread and losing that perception would be bad business. In that sense it's a completely rational decision, and sales figures vindicate their decision.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm no programmer, but I'm guessing that making faction interaction work correctly in this type of game is extremely difficult.  There are plenty of design decisions I question in Bethesda games, mind you, but the idea that they are a bunch of hacks just looking to cash in seems pretty unlikely.

I'm not saying that designers themselves are a bunch of hacks. But they don't make decisions, they just do what they told. I'm sure if it were up to them, they probably would've not released the game for another year, and a lot of things would've been different. But it's not up to them, it's up to a bunch of CEO's. I mean, at the end of the day there's really only two possible explanations. Either Bethesda devs get more and more incompetent wich each new game, or that the company heads are more interested in profit than making good games. Personally, i find the latter much more plausible. Why bother with making something complex when simple sells just as much, if not more with the help of a good marketing campaing?

Edited by Sakai
  • Like 2

It's just painful when you can feel the architecture messing with your enjoyment of the game so clearly. Obviously it is possible to make seperate conditions on the outcome of specific missions. If the main thrust of the plot is that you are undercover and the usual quest structure plainly does just not work for that. Well, it's just lazy. 

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

It's annoying to do this with the build-in dialogue editor of the geck, though. For FNV Obsidian added their own stuff to the geck, which is pretty much just a better dialogue editor. It made writing and editing dialogue in the game a lot easier, though.

I'd say Bethesda simply doesn't really have the necessary tools for easier working in this area. Either they don't want to or they can't for whatever reason. I mean, really, as easy as the geck is to use, some of their story (content) related tools are a pain to work with. It already starts with a script editor that is worse than notepad.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

That's actually very smart. :> Especially because in normal gameplay you never need this function and it probably would have cost a lot time and money to get a real driving tram into the game.

The elevator part in Lonesome Road is also interesting: Not the elevator moves but the whole "world" around it, heh.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Ah, the GECK, a tool so powerful that the game's own scripters needed to implement a moving tram as an NPC wearing a tram-shaped hat.

:lol:

Now I feel like someone who has just been shown how a magician did a trick :)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein