Fallout 4 is coming soon.. is there a new OB Fallout Scheduled?

dava4444

Is it me or do most non-energy weapons suck big time?. Sneaking/Sniping is my specialty but I have yet to find a good auto assault rifle or even a good semi-auto sniper one. Bolt action rifles are painfully slow. Also, now that are level 30+, most 10mm or .38 ammo based gun are just laughable.

You want a "two-shot" weapon or a weapon with explosive ammo.

What do you mean by "two-shot". I usually carry a fat man as backup for those beefy baddies. I don't like missile launchers because I find them quite slow compared to damage provided.

It's one of the legendary weapon specialties, the weapon will fire two bullets instead of just one, making it twice as potent per shot.

I personally prefer the one that does double damage to enemies with full health. Makes single shot kills while sniping such a breeze.

• Like 1

Where would you guys rank FO4 in the list of Fallout games?

My playthrough has stalled out mostly because of the controls. I'll try it with a controller later this week and maybe I can push through

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Better than Fallout 3, easily. That's a bit of damning with faint praise though because I quit FO3 after about 10 hours and never touched it again. I'm a similar amount of time into Fallout 4 and I'm still giving it every chance to come good, even though I have to kind of force myself to fire it up over doing other things. Even while playing I'll get distracted and just tab out do other things for a while, it's not a game I'll ever find myself staying up late nights to play.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'd agree with the better than FO3, but not as good as FO:NV.  FO4 tries to do some very interesting stuff, with mixed results.  At the heart of it, if you enjoy exploring a big open world, which is really the hallmark of all Bethesda games, then you are going to be happy.  If you are looking for something from the old Interplay titles, you are not going to find much.

As I close in on 100 hours played I have close to 40 pages of notes, tweaks, and changes I would love to see in an Obsidian designed Fallout game.

Aw, you're such a tease, ya rat bastard! ...But a hundred hours in I would say you must be enjoying it, unless it really is just research.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

As I close in on 100 hours played I have close to 40 pages of notes, tweaks, and changes I would love to see in an Obsidian designed Fallout game.

Aw, you're such a tease, ya rat bastard! ...But a hundred hours in I would say you must be enjoying it, unless it really is just research.

I am really, really enjoying it.

I came in with an open mind and really didn't get on the hype train. I'm of the mind where I would rather be pleasantly surprised than let down because of some manufactured expectations.

That being said... there is always room for improvement. :)

Finally found a way to stop the endless radiant quests.

After initiating dialogue to turn in the quest, back away immediately from the quest giver.

And don't listen to the stupid Freedom City radio.

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I just realized that Cricket is voiced by the same person, that voiced Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2. And she even has the same lines! Another proof that my theory is correct (the one about Fallout 4 being Bethesda's attempt at making a Bordelands clone)  :disguise:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Coming in with an open mind wouldn't have helped me, I came in with low expectations for writing/story and pleasantly surprised with some of the side content. Main story sucked(The Institute, for a round and symmetrical world!) plus they tried to replicate how the ending for New Vegas came to be with restrictions without the epilogue. 

Companions were pretty good, they usually have something unique to say about what ever we are doing where ever in Boston. And there are 11 of them(I haven't got to the last synth companion tho) Since this is the first time they have done "deep" companions, I'm surprised they were as good as Bioware's if not better. If some people praises Bioware's writing, those people should praise Bethesda's writing as well, DAI's main story also sucked, and Beth certainly upped their game to be on par with Bioware tho far away from Obs or Cdp's writing.

Now I have finished the game, having done most of the side content as well I don't want to return to it, which was not the case for Skyrim for me. Played Skyrim for hundreds of hours(time spent most on modding) while finishing it's main story only twice but I'm not even excited for mods for F4, donno why. 

Is it me or do most non-energy weapons suck big time?. Sneaking/Sniping is my specialty but I have yet to find a good auto assault rifle or even a good semi-auto sniper one. Bolt action rifles are painfully slow. Also, now that are level 30+, most 10mm or .38 ammo based gun are just laughable.

You want a "two-shot" weapon or a weapon with explosive ammo.

What do you mean by "two-shot". I usually carry a fat man as backup for those beefy baddies. I don't like missile launchers because I find them quite slow compared to damage provided.

It's one of the legendary weapon specialties, the weapon will fire two bullets instead of just one, making it twice as potent per shot.

I personally prefer the one that does double damage to enemies with full health. Makes single shot kills while sniping such a breeze.

Hmm. I hadn't thought about that possibility. Thanks.

Not my screenshot, but lel.

wtemq9.jpg

Like I said, Bethesda should have removed dialogue options alltogether. They already removed skills and made perks feel useless, so why not go all out here. Would probably make for a better game under such conditions.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 5

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Have they voiced 4 different lines to essentially say the same thing? Eh... Okay. Should have kept the silent protagonist. And when the silent protagonist would click an NPC, no dialogue window would open, this NPC would just tell him what it wants. If it got clicked repeatedly, it would say other things. It would end every sentence with "Nyeahehehehehehehehehe" because that's successful. There, problem solved.

Have they voiced 4 different lines to essentially say the same thing? Eh... Okay.

This is one of the most perplexing things to me. Anything I've heard about game design always reinforces that time is valuable and you gotta determine which features are must haves and which features are superfluous. I would imagine recorded dialog is time consuming both to record and probably adds quite a bit of disk space to the game, yet they voiced the character and - more confusing to me personally - bothered with that feature where Codsworth will say the player's name even though anyone not on the name list gets left out and anyone traveling with someone other than Codsworth won't really appreciate it.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Relevant video from Super Bunnyhop:

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Not my screenshot, but lel.

wtemq9.jpg

Like I said, Bethesda should have removed dialogue options alltogether. They already removed skills and made perks feel useless, so why not go all out here. Would probably make for a better game under such conditions.

1. Preston loved that.

2. Preston loved that.

3. Preston disliked that.

4. Preston loved that.

This seemed to surprisingly hit most of what I feel about the game..

PcGamer - Fallout 4 : Good game, bad rpg

I’m loving Fallout 4. Wandering the wasteland, poking around in abandoned buildings, listening to chirpy ‘50s pop, fighting mutants. It’s a great game to lose yourself in on a cold winter’s evening. But as a role-playing experience I’m finding it disappointingly weak—to the point where I wouldn’t even call it an RPG. An open-world action game with role-playing elements would be a more accurate description.

The same could be applied to other Bethesda games, which are often described as being as broad as an ocean and as deep as a puddle. But Fallout 4 feels like their most restrictive game yet in terms of customisation, choice, and dialogue. The protagonist doesn’t feel like my character. The things I say don’t seem to matter. My high charisma is used to squeeze a few extra caps out of quest-givers and little else.

The term ‘RPG’ is pretty loose. We could argue for days about what is and what isn’t. But for me, an important part of any good RPG is being able to create and shape a character that’s unique to you. My Fallout 4 vault dweller, however, is vaguely the same as everyone else’s—he just wears a different hat. I mean, it’s a really nice hat. An ushanka I found in a bin. But it’s not enough. There’s no feeling of ownership.

The restrictions of the new dialogue wheel and the addition of a voiced protagonist have stripped away any chance to give your character a distinct personality. They’re either a good guy, or a sarcastic good guy. The single voice on offer is so obviously tailored to fit a generic-looking white guy—like the one they used in the E3 demo—that it sounds weird coming out of anyone else. These limitations feel out of place in a game that offers so much freedom elsewhere. I feel more attached to the rickety old shack I built in Sanctuary than the boring, unfunny dude I’m playing as.

And these frustrating restrictions extend beyond your appearance. Previous Fallout games let you set traits, perks, skills, and tag skills on top of your base SPECIAL stats: Fallout 4 has perks, SPECIAL, and nothing else. This new system might be more streamlined and elegant—and I like some things about it—but it’s yet another example of Bethesda reducing the ways in which you can fine-tune your character.

I’m sure they had their reasons. Fallout is a mega-selling mainstream series now, and they obviously want to make it more accessible. Not everyone wants a super deep RPG. But the consequence of that is making that puddle even shallower. Fallout 4 has all the hallmarks of an RPG—quests, experience points, towns, trading, companions—but it’s all pretty superficial. It’s like a tribute act to an RPG: fine at first glance, but look a little closer and you realise that ‘Elvis’ is actually a guy in a cheap wig.

The quests are just as bad. After 30 hours of play, I can’t think of a single one that offered me the option to avoid, charm, or otherwise think my way out of combat. Maybe I’ve just been unlucky and all the rich, branching, interesting quests are still out there waiting to be discovered, but I doubt it. While Phil was reviewing it for us, every time I turned around to look at his monitor he was firing a gun.

You occasionally get the option to hack a turret, but that’s about as rich as its systems get. Some of the level design feels more like an FPS than an RPG: a series of rooms linked with corridors, filled with enemies waiting patiently for you to kill them. There’s the odd terminal which fills in the backstory of your surroundings, and some environmental storytelling, but it’s not enough to mask the fact that many of these places are just, when you really boil it down, elaborate shooting galleries.

For a resource-starved post-apocalyptic wasteland, guns and ammo are everywhere. You can’t walk five feet without lasers or bullets whizzing past your head. Within a few minutes of being unfrozen in the intro sequence you find a pistol and a stash of bullets. Bethesda obviously love designing guns, but perhaps they should have dedicated that energy to making characters that don’t look like sentient shop mannequins or writing dialogue that isn’t so stilted and lifeless.

Even after all that, I still can’t wait to get home and play Fallout 4 tonight. The sense of discovery—of picking a direction, wandering, and wondering what beautiful scenery, bizarre creature, or weird little story you’ll run into—is as fun as it’s been since I first played Morrowind. But it’s disheartening to see Fallout’s RPG foundations slowly ebb away. I’m sure Bethesda could make a really rich, complex game like the originals if they wanted, but they don’t have to. Fallout 4 sold 1.2 million copies in 24 hours. Why break the formula? But that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

• Like 7

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

This seemed to surprisingly hit most of what I feel about the game..

Yeah, explains it really well. Though for me it's not even a good game. It's alright, i got to level 37 and completed the main story, but i have no desire whatsoever to go back to it and explore what i didn't explore. After some time the illusion wears off and you realise that there's nothing new you will find, just more enemies to shoot.

Edited by Sakai