Fallout 4 is coming soon.. is there a new OB Fallout Scheduled?

dava4444

Hi Guys

Im new here, please be kind.

Despite the title.. I don't want to 'chase the goat around with a new stick', I realize we haven't even played fallout 4 yet..but for the sake of both sated curiosity and franchise confidence, please share if there is anything on the horizon for a new OB Fallout second tier release*.

I understand there was a legal battle and the correct people won, thankfully,..now after the long wait for the main title.. I'd just like to check if we might see OB Fallout in.. 2 years?? A lot to hope for... FO4 will keep us going for a loong while yet, but that 7 years waiting for a main.. ouch!

I love NV. hey! that should be a t-shirt like 'i love NY' hehe, I have well over 1000 in NV. thank you!

Can we please go somewhere other than the northern americas? fans have been asking and asking for Europe..could this be a possibility*? 

Well if i'm the first to post talking about this; I should be ashamed! haha 

thanks for reading.

Dava

*note just to be clear, 'second tier' does not mean 'second rate'.. it is a subsequent release by a similar studio as a more 'experimental' branch of the franchise.. the experimental idea is from an OB Dev whom i saw interviewed whilst demo'ing NV on youtube.. second tier was originally a R* GTA strategy for carving up console device game versions to give to their different studios. They also used it for story continuity in game series/era. imho 4 years per game is fair to fans and devs alike. Sec.tier launched 2 years after main.

* ..more likely China in lieu of the fact of the huge amount of backstory that's there already. I suggest both.. they both would be a great adventure. but I guess im rooting for Glasgow my home city haha

One wise Dev said 'we are the sorcerers of our age, we are the wish fulfilment fairies of a new digital life' 

It does not seem likely that Obsidian and Bethesda will work together again.  While I do not think there is any bad blood between them, I'd say that Bethesda has grown too large to let anyone not under their umbrella work on Fallout.  

It does not seem likely that Obsidian and Bethesda will work together again.  While I do not think there is any bad blood between them, I'd say that Bethesda has grown too large to let anyone not under their umbrella work on Fallout.  

Yeah I think this is it. Bethesda is big enough to have full size teams doing multiple projects simultaneously. Fallout is their biggest property right now and I think it will be their main focus until they have wrung every drop out of Fallout 4. But I also think they have a team working on ES VI right now too but it's probably on the back burner.

ES VI won't be announced until FO4 is totally done and losing steam because you can't have two products competing for the same dollars.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

those are fair comments guys.

It's a real shame though if it turns that way.. OB did such a good job with NV, introducing improved systems, direct humor content, and the story..some parts really moved me. But.. this does make for lacking of confidence in the franchise.. as I see more publishers taking longer to make single player games. 

ES VI will eat all Bethesda's time after Fallout.. could the next Fallout be 6 years away??.. if that's the case. wow.

I remember hearing something about the devs behind Shadow or Moridor doing it, but that's a foggy recollection.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I still think they need to contract out a smaller budget isometric spinoff to Obsidian or inXile.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, even though I think Fallout: New Vegas is one of the best games I've played in the last ten years I'm not sure giving Obsidian another chance at a spin-off is the right way to go for Bethesda. Obsidian has never really impressed me with their world building in any of their games (playing Dungeon Siege 3 right now so I've basically played all their games except Pillars).

Obsidian can do writing, sure. But a game is so much more than competent writing. Also, to be honest, I've been more impressed by the writing in Witcher 3 than in any other game I've played in a very long time..

I used to hope for a Fallout 4: New New Vegas, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, even though I think Fallout: New Vegas is one of the best games I've played in the last ten years I'm not sure giving Obsidian another chance at a spin-off is the right way to go for Bethesda. Obsidian has never really impressed me with their world building in any of their games (playing Dungeon Siege 3 right now so I've basically played all their games except Pillars).

Obsidian can do writing, sure. But a game is so much more than competent writing. Also, to be honest, I've been more impressed by the writing in Witcher 3 than in any other game I've played in a very long time..

You haven't played Pillars? Stop wasting your time posting on boards are go play it! It's outstanding. After you're done with W3 that is. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You haven't played Pillars? Stop wasting your time posting on boards are go play it! It's outstanding. After you're done with W3 that is.
Yeah, you can't really play Pillars then complain about Obsidian's worldbuilding. And I thought New Vegas did a much better job than F3 did. Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

NV had tons of utterly useless locations that were added to just increase the number of map markers.

"Deserted shack" for instance is nothing but an empty shack with a healing powder and some bottle caps.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Deserted_shack

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Fallout as a franchise is dead in the water, if you don't mind minor spoilers, read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3r3alz/new_screenshots_and_more/

The above is some spanish guy who has a copy and is currently playing. The post is more or less him answering questions about his experience with very minor spoilers in between.

Main take away points though are that the dialog system is dead in the water. Your four dialog choices in any given conversation can be summed up as "yes," "no," "ask one question" (and I mean ONE. The question button does not create another menu with a list of questions to choose from. No, every character has ONE question you can ask them that's pre-determined by the game), or "be a blatant douchebag." Furthermore, it sounds like peaceful dialog options for if you want a pacifist route may even be color-coded, so you can complete babby's first speech challenge without any hiccups. He basically said the new dialog system feels like the game is trying to be Mass effect and failing miserably at it. If you considered Mass Effect's dialog system inferior and had concerns because of that alone, well it's worse. Apparently it doesn't even meet Mass Effect standards.

Another main takeaway is that he explicitly stated that as far as factions and story goes, expect BoS vs. Enclave from FO3 caliber of storytelling, not NCR/House/Legion/Indy from New Vegas.

My point with all this is that I ask myself how would Obsidian even pull off another Fallout while following this system. It seems to me that they've crippled the system so much in terms of dialog, story and RPG aspects that Obsidian would either need to demand to use a system akin to New Vegas (doubtful Bethesda would allow) or they'd have to attempt to pull it off with the current system, which sounds just downright painful. At this point, I would almost advise Obsidian NOT to take an offer to make another Fallout if they had to use FO4's RPG and dialog systems.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I can't imagine changing the dialogue system to a branching dialogue system would break the whole engine. Either way I would still rather Obsidian do a lower budget spinoff series closer to Wasteland 2 but set in the Fallout world. Set it up like the WL2 DC or D:OS EE so it has a controller control scheme and is console ready from the get go, but still plays fine on PC.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

Fallout as a franchise is dead in the water...

Yeah, that's about as far as I got before my BS meter went full blast. Thanks for invalidating your post early on so I didn't have to read it all!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, the original Fallouts are pretty much done.

I just don't like the Bethesda creations. Yeah, I haven't played Fo4 yet, but from what I've seen so far it really is not what I want from a Fallout game. I really hope there will be another Obsidian spin-off, but I also doubt it will happen...

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, the original Fallouts are pretty much done.

Pretty sure the original Fallouts have been dead since 2004 when "Brotherhood of Steel" came out.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The obvious solution is for Obsidian to create their own PA CRPG, in much the same way Pillars analogues the Infinity Engine games. Just don't let JES design the combat mechanics and we're all good.

And the underlying solution is for Obsidian to elapse the time in Pillars. Second game would be in steampunk era, then modern era then cyberpunk then PA... The catch is we play the same soul in each era and magic gradually diminishes as time passes(maybe magic tied to Adra stones and as people mine/deplete adra...). There you go, Obsidian's very own Assassin's Creed : p Also let JES design everything! : d

• Like 1

The obvious solution is for Obsidian to create their own PA CRPG, in much the same way Pillars analogues the Infinity Engine games. Just don't let JES design the combat mechanics and we're all good.

am having difficulty coming up with a more desirable option than sawyerxcain for combat mechanics in a crpg.  perhaps you are a fan o' vd's aod approach to combat mechanics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puo1Enh9h5k

betehesda?

well, is kinda the opposite o' vd, no? combat, while occupying a majority o' gameplay hours, is point-and-click simple and mindless.

*shrug*

we do agree that obsidian should create their own... but if they wanna take an established setting and build, we vote for darklands... not that this is a voting scenario.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Darklands would be great. Wait, we're talking the one set in Germany, right? Only, I'd want it set in England.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!